1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"The New Yellow Journalism" by Jay Brooks

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

This is a must read by Jay Brooks, and deserves its own thread.
    Read more: http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/new-yellow-journalism/

2. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

As is the rule on the internet, presentation, emotion & frequency of posts trump facts. I would've politely told this person to pound sand if I was AB/Miller...

superspak likes this.
  3. charlzm likes this.
  4. Classic trolling by "The Food Babe"

charlzm likes this.
  5. I don't get Brook's "negotiating with terrorists" analogy at all. I sort of like "facts" and find that they're the best antidote to nonsense. Lots of people besides "The Food Babe" want to know what adjuncts, and in what form, brewers use, and what brewing "additives", if any, they use. There have been proposals at the BATF and, now, the TTB for ingredient labeling for decades. Because some extremist agrees, for whatever reason, it makes it somehow invalid?

Seems to me that AB and MC responding to the incorrect info of many of The Food Babe's claims with the actual ingredients used is the best way to put an end to the misinformation - ignoring it does the opposite.

Also, Brooks notes:
    ...so he seems to be unaware that propylene glycol alginate is sold as a "foam enhancer" to the brewing industry, and it was Anheuser-Busch, not "The Food Babe", who accused Miller of using the additive in Miller Lite back circa 1980.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  6. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

But she's not "trolling," which is even worse.

Heady978 and StuartCarter like this.
  7. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

The Food Who?

I don't trust BMC at all anyway, so I couldn't care less what someone else says about them.
    As far as 'yellow journalism' goes, it's rampant...but one could hardly lay all the blame on these 'journalists', seeing that they have large audiences.

MarkyMOD and Providence like this.
  8. Unfortunately facts and truths do little to dissuade those who are simply trying to make a name for themselves and the sheep that follow them, hanging on every unfounded word.

5thOhio and russpowell like this.
  9. atrocity

atrocity Advocate (595) Virginia Dec 18, 2013

Great article. Definitely a must-read.

charlzm likes this.
  10. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

using lies and half truths to advance a specific agenda while ignoring anything that contradicts your agenda? Yeah, that's not trolling. That's malicious libel.

5thOhio and charlzm like this.
  11. john0721

john0721 Savant (340) California Jun 12, 2005

Sounds more like American Politics. Perhaps Food Babe is planning a run for office. She seems to have the right skill set.

12. I know. It was sort of tongue-in-cheek. I wish people would write her off as just another tabloid writer like the weekly world news reporting on confirmed chupacabra sightings.

russpowell likes this.
  13. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (485) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Many people now get their news through social media where the biggest headline gets the most shares, whether it's true or not. Just look at the anti-vaccine nonsense. Even regular news radio and TV programs are dominated by info-tainment which focuses on the most sensationalized stories and/or add their own sensationalism (e.g. Limbaugh, Jon Stewart, Sean Hannity, Colbert, Rachel Maddow, etc.). This yellow journalism is nothing new... You can blame journalists, but society needs to take equal part of the blame. Journalists are only doing what gets them a paycheck. If we, the audience, don't demand more thoughtful and honest reporting before we share stories on social media or tune into info-tainment sensentionalist drivel then the journalist is only guilty meeting the demands of their audience.

14. One of these monolith breweries suing her would be hilarious. We've seen what they can do to small breweries that get in their way, what about some nobody sensationalist blogger?

15. woemad

woemad Champion (805) Washington Jun 8, 2003

God, I hate people like this, and am genuinely worried about people who get their info from such charlatans and/or nutballs. Hopefully their breeding will be limited.

CaptainPiret, charlzm and russpowell like this.
  16. Yellow journalism dies when it doesn't have an audience.

paulys55 likes this.
  17. You said it better than I did.

russpowell likes this.
  18. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (350) California Mar 26, 2013

I, too, find The Food Babe's brand of journalism to be offensive

Would though?

19. Roguer

Roguer Champion (950) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I agree with @jesskidden that the terrorism analogy might stretch it, but I disagree with the idea that the truth (i.e. facts) will set you free. Facts do nothing to sway anti-vaccers, YECs, et al. (A recent study suggested the exact opposite, actually: when confronted with evidence, those who fall in line with conspiracy theory-like attitudes and dogmatic insistence on a belief tend to actually believe their own flawed position even stronger.)

It's all about the target audience: the average Joe, or the conspiracy theorist. People like the Food Babe - and her employers - are unlikely to be swayed by facts, as they don't trade in that currency. Regular folk, however, who may have come across her article and said, "Wait, there's what in my beer?" can absolutely be enlightened by, say, BMC stepping up and saying, "No; here's the real deal." That's where you're absolutely correct: by simply setting the record straight, most people are going to realize if an article like hers is utter garbage.

@russpowell it's not about the internet, although it's certainly rampant here. Tuned into CNN or Fox News any time in the last few years? Journalism finishes a distant second, well behind sensationalism. These outlets are routinely taken to task for their ethically empty, professionally embarrassing conduct, but seem to show absolutely zero remorse, nor intent to improve.

@Ranbot hit it on the head: if you tune in, then you're part of the problem.

20. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Yeah various new outlets may have some axes to grind ( all of them ), it sure seems like you can really get mileage/traction way to quickly on-line without any trace of facts, but present them as such.

I just find the whole social media crowd so gullible/sad. Please let me know when all those girls from Nigeria get freed to due to our tweets. Or all these geniuses out in Cali pushing the anti virus cause can explain why there's now a whooping cough outbreak there.

The internet was supposed to put all these great things at our finger tips, sadly it seems a vast number of users have actually been made even dumber by their usage..

Never mind me, I still buy newspapers made of actual paper. I actually cringe to think of what Orson Wells & the Mercury Theater could've done if the just been born 70 years later...

Roguer likes this.
  21. animal69

animal69 Advocate (590) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

Yeah I just read some of her stuff...smh, lady I don't give a fuck what makes my beer taste so good, I just stfu n swallow it, she should too !