1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Next Stone Collaboration

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by apaisncsu, Jul 6, 2012.

1. I found a link to this on Evil Twin's FB page. It looks like a good addition to the line of Stone collabs.

http://beerpulse.com/2012/07/stillw...il-twin-to-collaborate-with-stone-brewing-co/

(Escondido, CA) – Stillwater Artisanal Ales Founder and Brewer, Brian Strumke, revealed on Beer Sessions Radio on Tuesday that he will be doing a collaboration beer at Stone Brewing. He will be there “in about a month” with fellow nomadic brewer, Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergsø, Founder and Brewer of Evil Twin Brewing.

The three breweries brainstormed a recipe on Tuesday and plan to brew what Strumke says will be a beer that emphasizes the strong points of each brewer. They will make a Smoked Wheat Black Saison that will be on the hoppier side, featuring Chinook, East Kent Golding and Cluster hops.

At least a few times each year, Stone hosts two brewers at its Escondido facility to do a collaboration beer. Past collaborations have appeared on draft and in single 12 oz. bottles.
    The news was merely an interesting sidebar from the core component of the show which was actually a discussion around New York beer laws.

On the program to discuss were Brooklyn Brewery Partner and Brewmaster, Garrett Oliver, and Empire Brewing Founder, Dave Katleski. Katleski mentioned that he plans to open the first farm brewery in the state while Oliver had some interesting input after Brooklyn’s media battle with Shelton Brothers over this past spring’s changes in state law.

2. Before reading what the beer was I was already thinking this is going to be a hoppy, smoked saison or something ridiculous.

3. Sounds promising.

ehammond1 likes this.
  4. dedrinker

dedrinker Initiate (0) Kansas May 13, 2006

They need to collaborate with my paycheck and bring down the price on their ruination and sublimely self-righteous.

cavedave and robconoclast like this.
  5. Sublimely Self-Righteous is coming out in 4-packs and will undoubtedly be noticeably cheaper.

cavedave likes this.
  6. REIFICATION

REIFICATION Disciple (60) Illinois Oct 20, 2011

Could be good, but also sounds like too much going on at once. Generally feel a lot of the time the stone's hoppiness always over powers some of the over elements. (like the Green Tea IPA)

7. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Sigh. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Not every idea is a good one.

I really think there's a dartboard out there with things like "Smoked", "Wheat", "Dry-hopped", "Belgian", etc. on it, and these guys are just flinging darts to figure out what to brew next.

Also, this smoke craze needs to die already. Everything's freaking smoked lately.

8. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I mean if it is STONE it is almost obvious that it will be hoppy and or smoked. Don't be silly folks.

9. They have one smoked beer. I guess that means if its smoked it must be from Stone.

EgadBananas likes this.
  10. TempeBeerMan

TempeBeerMan Savant (255) Arizona Nov 9, 2011

I have found Stone's price points to be on the LOW side of the craft beer spectrum compared to the quality of the beer. (One of the big reasons Stone and SN get the bulk of my craft beer dollar)

Smoked Porter for $3.99 at Total Wine? RIS for $5.79? Yes, please.

11. Smoked Black Wheat Hoppy Saison?! well I guess they didnt wanna sour that sucker, because Brett is the only ingredient left.

12. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Savant (250) California Jun 5, 2012

Damn good beer. Damn good price. I sleep like a champ after drinking this "nightcap."

13. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

I have to agree.I would consider Ruination as my benchmark.And at under $6.It is worth every penny.

14. i feel like most of their collaborations are inspired by carl weathers. "add in some wheat and baby, you got yourself a stew goin'..."

15. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Stillwater only makes Saisons, so that portion is totally unsurprising.

16. Bring back El Camino!

flayedandskinned and TheJollyHop like this.
  17. They do dabble. "Only" is a..strong word.

18. drgarage

Have they ever made a beer without a farmhouse yeast? I'm well aware they have tremendous breadth, but... it's all Saisony.

19. bstill

bstill Aficionado (160) Maryland Nov 29, 2005

so honestly.. what really is a 'saison'? Americans (and other Euros) think i make all Belgian style beers and Belgians think i am just crazy.. so, whatever.. but i assure you that the combination of attributes being used in this beer are all focused on balance and not shock style value.. as played out as the word 'balance' may be.. we hope ya'll will enjoy it.

larryi86 likes this.
  20. drgarage

Great to see you here, Brian. As you note, Saisons are pretty much in the mouth of the beholder. I definitely know it when I taste it, but otherwise, the definition is highly debatable. I'm looking forward to this -- not least because it might the most affordable Stillwater beer ever made.

21. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

oddly enough, i think "balance" has been the central idea of stone beers for years. they're usually balancing bold flavors, but the noteworthy thing has always been the balance more than the boldness.

as for your beers, i don't know what their "unifying theme" is if there even is one, but i've enjoyed everything i've had. especially loved jaded.

22. Sound good

23. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Really? I've always found Stone's regular line up to be very fairly priced, especially compared to smaller breweries larger IPAs. Is it more expensive away from San Diego?

24. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Stone and Lagunitas are generally some of the best priced options around in NYC.
    Also, excited for the collab, 3 great breweries all who have such different visions and strengths, but all make awesome beer!