1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The night we drank all the Bourbon County

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eachnotesecure, Apr 8, 2013.

1. I need more friends with beers like these!
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  2. Good read, thanks. Im surprised you didn't toss in nightstalker and big john.. IIRC they are all made with the same base beer as BC
  3. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Just imagine the two four packs of KBS that you guys couldn't gotten for that!
  4. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

That seems high...I'm thinking about 6 bottles
  5. I'm going to buy some coconuts right now.
    gpawned and ABisonEgo like this.
  6. I think I've heard that too, but can someone confirm? Bought my first Big John the other day and have not yet opened it.
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  7. yankeepride

yankeepride Savant (285) New Jersey Jan 16, 2011

You know what would suck about that tasting? Nothing.
    gpawned, ABisonEgo, Mavajo and 2 others like this.
  8. yankeepride

A shop owner told me that Night Stalker was the base for BCBS. Not sure how Big John plays into that family.
  9. JMagee

JMagee Aficionado (180) New York Jan 2, 2013

To the best of my knowledge...the base beer is the same for Night Stalker, Big John and all the BCB(x)S varieties.

Night Stalked is just hopped, Big John is aged over Cacao Nibs and the others, well we know about those.
  10. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Great read. Makes me want to drink the rest of my Bourbon County Coffee
  11. ESeab

ISO: That line up FT: Two four packs of KBS
  12. Sounds like the name to my new favorite song!
    " and last but not least... this ones called..The Night we drank all the Bourbon County!"
    Thickfreakness and kemoarps like this.
  13. yankeepride

You should also hold out for the $100 in gas it took to track down those two four-packs.
    brother_kenneth likes this.
  14. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

Oh man now I have a craving for bcbs cherry
    gjoker321 likes this.
  15. ESeab

Found em at two stores on the way to lunch while my friend drove, didn't bat an eye for those two four packs>The two bottles the next day though, I did have to drive 7 blocks down the street for. I guess I should have walked to save on gas.
  16. redsand22

redsand22 Aficionado (200) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

how'd ya manage to try the Peanut butter and chocolate and the coconut?
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  17. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I wish I could have made it....
  18. One of the guys took a bottle of 2012 BCBS and put it into a Coconut for three days. It was flat but thankfully that is a beer that is great even when flat, it tasted great.

The Peanut / Chocolate one was different, I think he used a tea strainer. It was heavy peanut but tasty.
    Thickfreakness and gpawned like this.
  19. I know that's a fact for Night Stalker and BCBS. Brett Porter confirmed that at a tasting I went to. I didn't know Big John also had the same base, but it makes sense.
  20. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Great read, though I have to say, I had Bramble a year ago and it has been one of my favorite variants yet (though I haven't had Vanilla yet, and I have yet to crack open my Rare). I liked it over Cherry Rye and Coffee. Of course, I'm a huge fan of raspberries too, so I'm likely biased. Plus, the extra year may have made the beer fall off as well, but man, I really really liked that one.
    tectactoe likes this.
  21. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Night Stalker and Big John have the same type of malts used as Bourbon county. That's it. The hops and amount of base malts are different.
  22. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

23. MarkLaFay

MarkLaFay Aficionado (115) Indiana Nov 25, 2010

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought Bramble Rye was doodoo. I should have jumped on the BC rare when I had the chance. Just couldnt justify the cost at the time.
    eachnotesecure likes this.
  24. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I was given a hand bottled sample (~5 oz) of the actual BCBS Coconut/Rye Whiskey cask from the one festival it was at and thought it was incredible. I know this isn't the same as what you had (obviously since yours was a home project) but it was incredible and they should bottle that one. Sounds like an awesome tasting.

I recently got to try all the variants as well as the last couple years of BCBS and very much agree with all of your assessments. BCBCS 2012 is definitely fading but is still incredible. The first bottle I had about 4 months ago was outstanding (fresh BCBCS is one of my favorite all time beers) and the last bottle that I had within the last month was still great but missing some of the initial coffee taste.

Cheers,
    Ryan

PS - KILLER TASTING.
  25. You can find really good ones at the Natural Store.
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  26. I was lucky enough to be at the Day of the Living Ales that the Bourbon County Coconut Rye on cask was at and it was phenomenal - I just hope that this is the variation for next year as it was just fantastic. Best use of coconut in a beer that I have ever tasted by far!
  27. So BCBS and Night Stalker don't actually have the same base? From what I was told at the tasting, it's the same base beer, but one stout goes into bourbon barrels while the other gets dry hopped.

Awesome avatar, btw.
  28. Drucifer

My guess is it has the same base malt percentages, but a different amount as barrel aging does not add 3.5% in abv. A hypothetical example would be the following:

Night Stalker: 80% base malt, 10% specialty malt A, 5% B, 5% C; 15 pounds total malts per 5 gallon batch
    Bourbon County: 80% base malt, 10% specialty malt A, 5% B, 5% C; 18 pounds total malts per 5 gallon batch
    smartassboiler likes this.
  29. JMagee

JMagee Aficionado (180) New York Jan 2, 2013

So as someone who doesn't know as much about the brewing side of things as he would like to, what outcome would this have in the end?

It seems logical (to me) anyway (probably incorrectly) that by keeping the malt profile the same, your effectively creating the same beer, but using less total malt to keep the ABV a bit lower.

Is it same to simply say that in your example the Night Stalker base, and I use the term loosely, is a "watered-down" version of the BCBS base? Or are there other things at play by decreasing total malt amount?
  30. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Oh wow I guess I'll hoard the remainder of my '12 BCBS now!

Anyway, that is a disgustingly awesome tasting. Wish I was a friend of yours!
  31. augustg

augustg Savant (270) Illinois Sep 15, 2011

Great Post. Thank You.
    eachnotesecure likes this.
  32. Good to know, glad I have 2 cherrys a bunch of 2012 BCBS, and 2 coffees that I'll be sure to drink before any of the rest.
  33. As someone who is planning a very similar tasting within the next month or so, I really appreciate the great write-up!
    gpawned and eachnotesecure like this.
  34. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

big john is probably my favorite non-barrel-aged beer. So delicious. And oddly, I saw a few bottles of it on the shelf recently at a few shops near me. IMO, people should swarm for it!
    rolandboy likes this.
  35. The base beer for all the beer mentioned is GI's Cook County Stout. They use it for just about everything you'll find bottles of, from BCBS to Big John, etc.
  36. Drucifer

I guess you could call it that. My guess would be the increased abv in bourbon county makes it much more suitable to barrel aging. Lower malts (and subsequentially abv) also allow hops to shine through better. Night Stalker probably has a bunch of strong piney hops at the end of the boil and dry hop while Bourbon county probably has a lower alpha acid hop such as Willamette that is strictly used for bittering.
  37. Which means that every "complete" BCBS tasting that didn't include Cook County Stout is deemed null and void, and must be repeated. :eek: