1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The OFFICIAL Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by LiquidTable, Nov 7, 2013.

1. again with the bottle shares lol why not stay home and do a local group share
  2. vets arent the only ones who know how to use guns
  3. and i dont get why people arent understand the bottle shares? there will be folks from all over, who trade all over, who all have awesome cellars. why have 6 good beers available when you can have have 20? also, what else is there to do while one waits in line?
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I vote that people read history novels and educate themselves on war, so we can thank the veterans at the front of the line!
  5. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

They sell by the bottle, so you can by any amount you want under the max allotment. I believe it was $8.
    Chris_Panos likes this.
  6. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Don't wait in line then. Have a bottle share elsewhere and show up when the party starts. Just a thought.
    Marti403 likes this.
  7. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Apparently you missed my comment on the previous page. Please do not bottle share in line, Warren police are not a fun group to deal with. If you wanna bottle share, do it at someone's place locally Friday night. As for standing in line, you could always chat with the BAs there as a way to pass time. Just a thought.
  8. dtrtrggr

dtrtrggr Zealot (85) Pennsylvania Sep 17, 2013

I still have a key to my old apartment in downtown Royal Oak...not sure who lives there now but could always give it a go and see if they'd be willing to host...
    steebo777 and wezzul like this.
  9. jb123

jb123 Savant (470) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

there were TONS of bottles shared at summer solstice. but ya...
    Zaphog and basickness like this.
  10. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

After this year's 4Elf, waiting in line for one of Kuhnhenn's parties will be a piece of cake. Hoping to get some special meads for a few trading buddies, but I'm personally most excited for (1) the taps, (2) BBBW. Kuhnhenn always has a ton of great/new/experimental/vintage things on tap at their parties, & BBBW is the best barley wine that has ever existed.. so... yeah.
    Wade5614 likes this.
  11. pest

pest Savant (375) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

They haven't announced allotments yet have they?
  12. I'm extremely jealous of this event. Didn't help that a bunch of Michigan folk were talking it up during the pre-4 Elf party. I'm definitely going to be ISO some of these bottles. Very curious about some of these offerings.
  13. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

Reliable sources have stated that lining up early is prohibited. They are concerned that the Warren police commisioner will cancel the event due to noise issues as this is located adjacent to the noise violation headquartes of SE Michigan. Get there at noon to avoid and hiccups.
  14. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Coming from the person who started the 5:30 4 Elf rumor. ;)
    c64person, adamdd, JohnB87 and 2 others like this.
  15. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Anyone not maxing out, let me know. I'm missing the event and have 4Elf available or sexual favors. Pick your poison.
    adamdd, DoubleNickels and bierenutz like this.
  16. steebo777

Already told ya I got ya on some stuff.
    tommyz likes this.
  17. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

That was probably during the 4Elf party where the amount of alcohol consumed within 36 hours was outrageous ;)
    bierenutz, pharts and steebo777 like this.
  18. A) I believe basickness is referring to bottles shares OUTSIDE OF KUHNHENN somewhere else this upcoming weekend. (ie. at someone's house/hotel room etc.) jhende and I will be having one, but a majority of the beer will be enjoyed will be while we're at the Solstice. Unfortunately, not everyone can sit at Kuhnhenn for 14 hours and drink. That's expensive. Furthermore, when you're meeting up with people who you only see 1-2 times a year, it's nice to just chill out and share some locals with each other.

B) Nothing to do in line, but stand around, shoot the shit with your fellow BA's. And freeze. Props to that guy who brought that portable fireplace/propane heater to the line-up. Shit was cash.
    basickness likes this.
  19. Any word on allotments yet or will they be posted later this week? Are Michigan Mud, BB4D and BBBW the best beers they will be selling Saturday? Don't want to splurge and buy everything especially after going nuts at 4 Elf.
  20. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

They don't always post it before the day of the release.
  21. Is this anywhere near as crazy with people lining up like 4 Elf? I figure I could get there by 6 am and 6:30 am and be top 50 in line and be guaranteed bottles. One of my beer friends said people will start lining up at 2am. I find that honestly ridiculous cause the brewery won't open till 11am. Will people really wait 9 hours with no beer tastings going on outside the brewery.
    basickness likes this.
  22. It hasn't been in the past, but each year people seem to get stupider (is that a word?). Last year I didn't get there until around 8:45, they opened at 9, and I got most of the bottles I wanted. BB4D did run out early last year, but that was due to them not bottling enough for the party. Feel free to line up at 2am, doesn't sound like fun at all to me.
  23. Was there at 730 last year (60-something 'th in line), and they allowed you to start placing orders at 9am (when the brewery opened), but the orders didn't started GETTING FILLED til around 11am-12pm IIRC. Got everything I wanted, but I could've been much later and still got everything as well. With doors opening at 11am this year (so it appears), I'm not sure how anything changes. Lining up at 2am sounds like the dumbest thing to be doing. Absolutely unnecessary.
    chrisbokmuller likes this.
  24. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (345) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

No, this is not like 4 elf and no, people don't start lining up at 2 am.

Feel free to do so, but you're going to be awfully cold and lonely.
  25. steebo777

Just to reiterate, dblab is NOT trying to throw people off or lie. People don't get in line that early at all for these Kuhnhenn releases.
    liamt07 likes this.
  26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

This thread has 33% chance of Godwin'd.
  27. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

The line just started. I am in the Chicago White Sox tent about 35 deep. Stop over for some hot cocoa.
    iceatalamo, liamt07, Wade5614 and 3 others like this.
  28. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Something tells me this wouldn't be a change of lifestyle for a majority of line-waiters
    landrewg, Lukafer, maximum12 and 3 others like this.
  29. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Awwww, now you went and spoiled it. It makes for some entertainment and more room in the front of the line when the neubies get hauled away.
    liamt07 and steebo777 like this.
  30. Anyone coming to Solstice that is near DH? I just saw they have more BA 666 bottles available and I'd love to get a few more if possible.
  31. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

And steebo is not trying to throw people off by saying that dblab is not trying to throw people off.

4Elf this year was a 6AM start which was why everyone was there all through the godforsaken night, vs 11 for KH. Last year for 4Elf with an 11AM start, 6AM still got you a good spot in line (top 100) and KH last year was much shorter than 4Elf at the same time.
    steebo777 likes this.
  32. i was talking about the night before
  33. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I went to the Eisbock release earlier this year at Kuhnhenn and was really worried that it would be a mad house - I got there at 5 am. Needless to say, I was the first person in line and felt like an idiot. They had plenty available well into the evening.

It's also worth noting that their Bourbon Barrel French Toast, which is one of their biggest releases, lasted a few days after the release.
    steebo777 likes this.
  34. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I worked until noon on the Blueberry Eisbock release and still got a bottle. I walked in, sat down at the bar, had both on draft and got bottles to go.
    adamdd and steebo777 like this.
  35. PLEASE JUST STOP! this line shit is getting way out of hand. kuhnhenn has explicitly asked people to NOT bottle share on there property so why is a 2-3-4-5 am line even a thought?? just show up and enjoy the amazing beer on tap and if you get bottles then its a big bonus. ALL HAIL WASSAIL:)
    iceatalamo, liamt07, Tony412 and 5 others like this.
  36. they asked people to not drink on their property so why kick the hornets nest?? do we want them to stop doing bottle releases?
    elephantrider and FEUO like this.
  37. I've arrived well after opening time for the last two years and got basically everything I wanted. It's cold in Michigan. I am going to avoid the line waiting as much as I can. I'm soft now and anything under 50 is bitingly cold.

I do count myself pretty lucky though, I get to go to Winter Solstice every since I go home to Michigan for Christmas. And my parents live 15 minutes away. See you all there!
  38. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Not going to lie, I showed up around 5 and got everything except the bb4d which ran out super early because of the small batch (but got sine a month later when they put more out). But, I drank on the bbbw and bb4d on draft for months!!
  39. Bryan

Bryan Aficionado (145) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

This is an event you can show up throughout the day and get pretty much everything you want and still get a seat. Don't line up early. Don't bottle share. Instead, Drink BBBW or BA Solar out of pint glasses all day.
    MSEGUIN, JohnB87 and caber2615 like this.
  40. i live in pittsburgh, so i need bottles to bring home. i will be drafting all day, but am i going to need to be early for the bottles (and if so, how early?)