1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The One that made you like beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I used to think I hated beer. All beer. I'm sure many can relate.

Then I came across something that was NOT BMC, Milwakee's Best, Corona, etc...

I know it's not a "craft" beer, I know it's sooo inferior to most beer, in fact its been a long time since I've had one, but when I tried AmberBock, my mind was opened and I thought "I might like beer"

Please don't bash, just tell me, what was yours?

2. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Savant (295) Michigan Jul 27, 2012

Newcastle Brown Ale

3. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

fat tire...

actually, i might have had Budweiser American Ale before that when i was 18 or so....17 or 18 and the only beer i had ever had was miller lite or bud lite, etc. Budweiser American really opens my eyes. Then fat tire was the first one i was crazy about

4. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

if i think real hard it would have to be Big Daddy and Prohibition ale. first time i had a beer that tasted great, unlike the king of beers and such

5. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

dfh 90 min. Drainpoured half of my first one. Few weeks later went back to the fridge to try it again. The last 3 went down in the following hour.

6. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I was gonna just reply by saying that I was a man and always liked beer but since you don't want people to bash you, I wont. ;)

RobertColianni likes this.
  7. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (570) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

tough it took five or six years to kick in- Ballentine IPA. First micros ever purchased, 1980 bringing back Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada on the plane from AZ.

8. Probably victory festbier or troegenator for me

9. Resuin

Resuin Champion (805) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Golden Monkey. I decided to order it at a bar because it had a funny name. The rest is history.

10. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

nyyfanatic213 likes this.
  11. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Taddy Porter....a really long time ago, and the conversion took quite a while...

12. tfischl

tfischl Aficionado (175) Indiana Dec 28, 2005

Anchor Steam Beer - and Liberty Ale too!

hardy008 likes this.
  13. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

My husband brewed his own beer when I met him. I was under 21, that was the first beer I tried(very hoppy ipa) then I moved on to Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout. Never looked back.

14. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

At one point in my beer drinking life, I discovered Newcastle, Sam Adams Boston Lager, SNPA, and Red Stripe. I thought that those were in the upper eschelon of flavor and complexity. Those let to Fat Tire and Arrogant Bastard which led to 90 Minute and, believe it or not, PtE. The rest is history.

15. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Like: Weihenstephaner hefe-weissbier.

Love: Two Hearted Ale
    [​IMG]

Sometimes the fish bugs me. Sometimes...
    I just think it could be a better fish.

16. Pretty sure it was Bass for me.

Davihaw likes this.
  17. quetzal013

quetzal013 Savant (250) California Feb 16, 2011

St. Peters Creme Stout

luwak and kotayk like this.
  18. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Yuengling was the first beer that I ever noticed enjoying for the sake of the flavor. Before that, beer was a tolerable means to an end. I haven't had it in about 3 years since I left college, and I was still a Bud Light girl at that point, so I might think it's crap if I were to try it again.

The first beer that I ever really bonded with was our local brewery's brown ale. Anymore, I think it's kind of boring, but still reasonably pleasing.

ESeab and GennyCreamAle like this.
  19. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I tried a Vanilla Porter at Motor City Brewing Works in Detroit about a year and a half ago since the description sounded appealing. Thing is, since I didn't pay attention to beer back then, I don't know if it was theirs or a guest tap. According to BA and their website, they don't have a vanilla porter, at least not now. I've yet to have the opportunity to go back.

20. Lost Abbey Angel's Share.

Pecan likes this.
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Dang, I thought from the title of the thread that you were asking who got you into beer. I would have answered, 3 people. Me, myself, and I.:rolleyes:

22. New Caslte Brown was drinkable but not the best. It was Karl Strauss Amber Lager that really opened my eyes. I remember thinking "holy crap this tastes like caramel!".

23. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

A Carling Black label brewery-only Octoberfest beer, must have been about 1974, and only days later I found Coors.

24. Amber Bock was one of the first beers I fell in love with, since BMC was basically all we could get in Alabama when I was in college there.

25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

new belgium sunshine wheat, and american oi...

26. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

My first "beer" beer was blue moon. Hated the adjunct lagers before that. Still was a NOOB though. Bought a 120min IPA for the ABV and ended up drain pouring it. Couldnt finish an Avery Beast either. Now I love those beers.

27. Reaching way back to the one that made me realize there were other options...not that it's fantastic.

[​IMG]

28. 60 minute ipa was the first beer that I fell in love with.

Neorebel, ESeab and LarryAppleton like this.
  29. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Samuel Adams Boston Ale...

30. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

31. Brooklyn Local 2 did it for me. Had that and fell in love; tried a new beer or two every day for a couple of months following. Before that, St. Peter's Cream Stout made me curious enough to take the plunge and buy a big $10 bottle in the first place. Before then, Amberbock made me realize it doesn't all taste like Corona. Hated beer before that.

32. I used to drink a lot of PBR then it went to Magic Hat #9 then it went to sam smith oatmeal stout. The rest is history.

ESeab likes this.
  33. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Beck's Dark

34. When I had a Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen - I still think it is superb.

Kerrie, BEERchitect and Hockey_Fan like this.
  35. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Hopdevil, an eye opener.

nyyfanatic213 likes this.
  36. In 1981 a draught pint of Heineken Dark was the nectar of the Gods. I don't feel the same way about that particular beer, but thankfully have found other quality dunkels to fill the void.

ShaBizzle likes this.
  37. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Aprihop got me into IPAs, and then Head Hunter pretty much set the standard for IPAs for me; though Sucks may be in contention.

As far as craft beer overall, I'd say Mad Elf got me into it. I went to a distributor and they had a few cases. I remember trying it at Fat Heads with my dad when I was 17/18, and I really loved it. I hadn't had it since (I'm 22 now) so I figured, why not, and bought it. Ever since then, I've found a new appreciation for craft beer.

38. stoney1031

stoney1031 Aficionado (215) Texas Dec 2, 2012

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale did it for me. It was the first time a drank a beer and actually enjoyed the taste of it. Before that I would just drink the cheap stuff to get hammered. Indian brown open my eyes to this wonderful world of craft beers and I have looked back since.

ESeab and 19etz55 like this.
  39. I cannot think of a time when I didn't like beer. Like, the first time I had beer (probably a Becks/Holstein, knowing what my Dad drank back then) I remember quite liking it. I remember quite liking most "local" "nostalgia macro" stuff around where I grew up too. I always liked trying new beer! My first Leffe was a revelation, as was my first IPA. So, some export German lager, likely Becks or Holstein (probably Becks), was my "one."

40. I hated beer...or so I thought. North Coast's Scrimshaw was the first beer I had that made me reconsider my previous inclination. But Big Daddy IPA is what really sparked my interest. I still drink both of them every now and then cause I think they are great beers.