The One that made you like beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (745) California Dec 15, 2012

I'm with you. I hated beer. After a round of golf at Glen Ivy, I went to Tom's Farm in Corona, I like always do to pick up something to take home, like pizza, cheese, sweets, etc. Then, that one day, I randomly picked up Pliny the Elder, only because I like the simple label. I had no clue about beers, other than I didn't like it.

I finished the bottle, and thought this ain't bad. Then, I researched. Now, I'm hooked!

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Firestone Walker Pale 31.

Cheers!

3. Roger85

Roger85 Advocate (550) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Abita Amber on my first trip to New Orleans. Prior to that, I only drank hard liquor and those crappy malt beverages (Mike's Hard Lemonade was a favorite). My first time trying craft was a SNPA, and I dumped it on the ground. I thought it was awful. But a week straight of drinking basically just Abita Amber and I was on my way to being a BA.

4. SweetWater 420, it's been downhill ever since. They make some great stuff down in Atlanta.

5. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

Harpoon ipa was the first I really loved, and it started my ipa freak flag flying

6. Hmmm. I'd say the beer that sparked my love for beer was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Before that I only drank BMC beers, with the occasional PBR or Yuengling.

7. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...I thought to myself..what's this crisp bitter bite..melikey...oh yes melikeydahop...haven't looked back since

8. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,010) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

DFH 90 Minute

9. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

This can be tough thinking about, actually. I don't remember not liking beer, ever. A couple of Sam Smiths products were my first craftish beers back in the day, then eventually along came Sam Adams. But I also remember how absolutely cool it was to have a Coors that was smuggled into MA. I drank a lot of what we are calling swill, but I sure appreciate what we have now a whole lot more. It is all relative I suppose...when all one could get was Schlitz, Bud, Miller, original Narragansett, Carling, etc. with the occasional Heineken, well, it is what you drank if you liked beer. I also think the swill might have been slightly better then, or we just didn't know any better. Point is, besides home brew, it was all there was. And I am no historian, but I suspect that way back in the day the numerous small breweries (pre-prohibition) were probably nowhere near as experimental and creative as their modern counterparts (please feel free to educate me on this).

10. I am Irish and German, in my family mothers milk was served with a beer chaser!

(I know, stereotype, but true nonetheless!)

11. The usual suspects... Bass, Newcastle, Guinness, Moosehead (I thought I was cool for drinking a canadian lager), but when I had New Belgium 1554 something really clicked. So I always say that 1554 is what got me into craft beer.

12. Newcastle/Magic Hat #9

ESeab likes this.
  13. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I have to think it was Yuengling, but more importantly it was the place. It was the early 90's and I went to college already a veteran of pounding Genesee, Labbatt, Molson, etc. Once I turned 21, I started going to Zeno's pub. We would start getting Black and Tans and they had a beers around the world challenge. Hopefully my name is still on the wall.

14. uptomonto

uptomonto Disciple (60) Indiana Dec 15, 2012

Early 90's, after a particularly hot day of wade-fishing here in So. IN., my buddy's dad insisted this fishing trip we weren't going to quench our thirst with the usual crap - for that day, sitting ice cold in the cooler back at the car, he had Killian's Red...

I know, not the greatest. BUT, I did take notice and started down the road to better beer and homebrewing.

luwak likes this.
  15. My craft beer addiction was more of a gradual process...

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat got me started, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale got my attention, Stone Arrogant Bastard got me hooked, and Ithaca Apricot Wheat sealed the deal (for nostalgia reasons haha)

16. klinger

klinger Aficionado (180) Ohio Oct 9, 2012

Pete's Wicked Ale.

luwak likes this.
  17. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (390) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Founders Porter

18. Hoegaarden

19. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

If you get the chance try a Kane Brewery (NJ) Head High IPA. I think you'll like it if your into IPAs.

20. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

val dieu tripl

Sad, can't recall the beer that started the stout obsession.

21. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (290) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

a awesome friend who works at el bait shop threw me in head first to Hopslam and Tommy Knocker Imperial nut brown.....and the rest is history

22. Guinness extra stout! and there was no turning back

23. Saranac Black Forest. A rite of passage living in upstate NY were the Saranac Trail mix 12-packs over Xmas break. I brought one to basically every party from the age of 19-22.

24. benidy

benidy Aficionado (130) Missouri May 4, 2008

Aventinus

Had it in a bar, could never find it on the shelf, started exploring craft to find something similar...

25. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

1st beer was a Black Label ( I believe Canadian ) with my Grandpa at age 14 which was more mental bliss than really tasting good. But I think my 1st real enjoyable beer experience was a Molson Golden Ale. A little skunky ( which at the time meant it was considered a stronger beer ) but tasty and went down easy. A fine choice after skiing hard all day. But really I was sold to the golden nectar at age 14. :)

26. mpitts

mpitts Aspirant (40) Kentucky Jan 15, 2013

Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Before that, I could never acquire the taste for beer.

27. lostinfla

lostinfla Aficionado (190) Florida Jul 25, 2010

Miller (3/2)! "the champagne of beers"!!

28. russmann

russmann Aficionado (135) Idaho Oct 3, 2007

I never did BMC's. When I turned 21 my mother gave me a mix-a-six of crafts. That led to Fat Tire, which led to 1554, which led to Chimay Grande Reserve. That was the beer that woke me up.

TastyAdventure likes this.
  29. kingmaker

kingmaker Savant (310) Louisiana Nov 20, 2012

Guinness 250th Anniversary

30. Alexander Keith's.

Yeah, I've always had pretty low standards. I drove a '91 Topaz until last year, and I like the Toronto Maple Leafs. And fat chicks. ;)

Keith's was the first beer I ever 'liked' enough to drink regularly (before that I mostly stuck to rye/rum & coke), but Fuller's London Porter is what really got me into enjoying beer for something other than the buzz.

6packofbas and ggwheeler like this.
  31. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

I used to randomly drink SNPA while in college, then drank boulevard unfiltered wheat, finally Fat Tire found its way to Iowa and I was hooked.

32. Lion stout, picked it up in a mixed 6 pack at a newly opened beer store like 10 years ago.. Was amazed at how different it was, flavorful and strong.

33. Boont amber.

And it's still my recommended gateway beer for BMC drinkers.

Different enough to really notice a change.
    Accessible enough to "get it".
    Cheap enough to afford.
    Easy enough to find.
    Delicious enough that I still have one every now again.

Cheers to first crushes.

First loves is a whole other ball of wax.

34. KISSFR33K

KISSFR33K Aficionado (190) Michigan Sep 15, 2012

stoney creek vanilla porter

35. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I did a semester abroad in Berlin.
    Across the way from the Aldi was a beverage store. I went in just for the hell of it. Bottles (the real size) were like 70¢ each.
    I figured it was the cheapest way for me to try out German bier (which I heard so many good things about).
    I picked up:
    Schinner Edel Weisse, Schwarzer Steiger, and Lückenwalder Bock. I really just thought buying a "white" and "black" bier, and then one with a deer on it was funny.

So, I went back across the other street to my apartment and poured the Edel Weisse...
    HOLY SHIT!
    I couldn't believe what such flavors were possible.

Next, I tried that Schwarzbier and was equally blown away. The bock rocked my socks off. I brought home the Weisse and the Bock for my dad, but had to leave the bock (d'oh! It's my dad's favorite style!) on account of too much weight.

When I got home, I tried "Black Bavarian" from Sprecher as my intro to American Craft Bier. I couldn't believe that bier made right here in America could be as good as some made in Germany.

And, that was the beginning of it all.

uptomonto likes this.
  36. HardyA

HardyA Savant (345) Michigan Jan 26, 2013

Oberon. Been enjoying Michigan summers ever since

uptomonto likes this.
  37. Kyrojack

Kyrojack Savant (470) Indiana Oct 9, 2012

Sam Adam's Noble Pils or Boston Ale. Had them both on the same day.

38. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (845) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

The absolute first craft beer that i tasted that got me in to craft beer was New Glarus Uff-da-bock. Loved it and really wish they'd brew it again.

39. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Magic Hat #9 and Brooklyn Brown Ale when I was 21. That stuff made me want to drink good beer. Remember when #9 was really really good, like 7 years ago?

luwak likes this.
  40. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Leffe Blonde.