The One that made you like beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Guinness, New Castle, Heineken were my go to beers before craft. First craft Founders Dirty Bastard.

Pecan likes this.
  2. Hey. Sips of Budweiser from my Granddaddy's can! I was 6 years old. Cherished memories, yes. Thanks.

3. Guinness is what opened my eyes

RobertColianni likes this.
  4. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

SN Pale Ale

5. Up until about three years ago I could count on one hand the number of beers I drank in my entire life (I'm 48 now.) Then I had a Guinness.

6. cates1tg

cates1tg Savant (255) Michigan Jul 18, 2010

Bell's Oberon. A Michigan summer day now isn't complete without one.

7. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Shit, Bud unfortunatly....CHEERS

8. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

I had been a relatively mundane beer drinker, interested but generally unenthusiastic and unenlightened. Then I tried Founders Dirty Bastard on tap one night. I could barely drink it, but it totally opened my eyes to what beer could be.

After that, I had to try more beers. The one which I think really got me hooked was Unibroue La Fin du Monde. Even though I drink more stouts/IPAs these days, I still have a soft spot for La Fin du Monde.

Pecan likes this.
  9. Double Diamond back in the day!

10. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Saint Arnold's Lawnmower was the first craft beer I had, and it got the ball rolling. But the first time I really saw the potential of craft beer was Unibroue 'Le Terrible'... that beer terrified and delighted my pallet, and pretty much opened my mind to the unlimited range of flavor and feeling beer has.

11. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

Bourbon County Coffee Stout (2010). My friend worked at a liquor store and I would stop in periodically. The BCS coffee sat on the shelf for almost a full year after it released. I couldn't see how any beer could be worth $15 a bomber... until one day I bought one. That was it for me...

Pecan likes this.
  12. Sam Adams Octoberfest. At the time it seemed really flavorful with a bit of a sharp zip to it. Of course now it seems really mellow and rounded, but hey, tastes change.

The bigger eye-opener though, was when I had Dark Island. At the time I didn't really drink stouts. I didn't know what to expect, since I heard people describing stuff like Guinness to be like drinking sludgey molasses (which tickles me now, since it tastes watery and flavorless to me now). But then I took a sip and went, "... Oh...."

13. Drank all BMC for most of college but 1st craft beer that started it for me was Duck Rabbit Milk Stout.

14. When I was young, I remember liking my dads black butte porter and Pyramid Apricot ale, then when I started drinking I loved blue moon, and then Oakshire The Perfect Storm was where I "got" it.

15. I had Redhook ESB when I was in high school and it was the first beer i truly enjoyed. I drank a lot of crap beer before that and thought I liked beer, but it wasn't until I tried the Redhook that realized there was a lot more to beer than the big 3.​

16. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

how the hell am i supposed to remember this?! you guys dont drink enough

CopperMtnPlowboy likes this.
  17. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (850) Florida Feb 27, 2005

I went to a beer festival in Estes Park, CO back in '99 and had a coffee stout that was awesome. I dont know who made it, but at that point, I realized beer was more than Icehouse. I soon started consuming Fat Tire in large quantities and the rest is history, as they say.

18. Sierra Nevada pale got me in, Arrogant Bastard got me hooked

19. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (450) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

Probably Newcastle and SA Cherry Wheat.

20. chadillac3

chadillac3 Zealot (85) Iowa Dec 5, 2012

Shiner Bock to Newcastle to Founders Porter.

Had Founders Porter and FBS for the first time on the same night. Been hooked ever since.

21. Tough question. Fell in love with beer when I was just a kid. Probably something my dad drank (Molson, Michelob, something like that). Went to school and most fraternity parties consisted of the cheapest, lightest beer you can get (Milwaukees Best Light, Natty Lite, something like that). Loved beer then, a lot. After school, started stepping up and trying good beer, beer that was more than $10-$12 a 12-pack). Tried Sweetwater 420 and decided there really are GOOD beers out there and it's just gotten better and more expensive from there.

Still like the cheap stuff, on the beach, or somewhere I don't need the heavier stuff. Other than that it's some IPA or double IPA. I will never, ever not drink a beer if it's given to me. Can't do it. Won't leave a restaurant or bar until my beer, and everyone else's is gone.

So back to the question: Michelob

22. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Racer 5 started the conversation. PtE sealed the deal.

23. Pilsner Urquel. My Grandfather (Czech) said it was "Mothers Milk" That was it right there.

24. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

I never really disliked beer, but the first one that actually opened my eyes and made me realize that there was more out there than Macro, would have to be a Bluepoint Rastafarye followed by a Torpedo. Absolutely loved the Bluepoint tap handle(same dude as label) so I had to try it.

25. Russian River Damnation (circa 2005 at the old Liar's Club location in Mission Beach). Made me realize that beer could be so much more. Miss the Liar's Club.

26. Leinnes Berryweiss

27. Never too late to start- I hope you saved up your $$$ in the meantime, you're gonna need it!;)

luwak likes this.
  28. Rastko

Rastko Initiate (20) Jan 29, 2013

Maybe unbelievable, but it was Heineken, 0.33 l can, around the year 2001. I think back then, it was imported from Holland.

29. mooseo

mooseo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Aug 11, 2008

Yuengling Traditional Lager was the first beer I really liked. Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale is what opened me up to craft beer.

30. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

31. Sam Adams Octoberfest. Late 90's to early 00's. I thought the Boston Lager was too bitter back then.

Pecan likes this.
  32. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I knew I liked beer when I had my first Moosehead, but I think it was actually Boulevard Wheat or Leffe Blonde that drew me into craft.

33. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

Amber Bock was probably the first beer I really liked. My first introduction to craft beer was Sweetwater 420. I then started trying a lot of imports and Sam Adams. It probably wasn't until about a year ago that I started trying American crafts. The first one might have been Lagunitas IPA which a friend ordered for me to try.

34. Dogfish Head World Wide Stout...

Just kidding...Left Hand Milk Stout.

35. Sam Adam's really got me on the craft beer kick. Than I realized Three Floyd's was in Munster. First it was Gumballhead, and the rest is history.

Pecan likes this.
  36. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

Well I've always loved beer... but some of the ones that got me into better quality beers were:

Guinness
    Newcastle
    Shiner Bock
    Fat Tire

37. mouseman007

mouseman007 Aficionado (100) Ohio Jan 28, 2010

Dogfish 60 minute...buddy bought a 6 pk and brought it over and he hated it and I proceeded to have a few then killed the 6er in the next couple days and after that all I wanted was more craft beer.

38. Yuengling Lager as a freshman at Penn State...opened lots of doors, I think Victory came along shortly after that!

39. Never drank beer until I was legal. Didn't like it either (although I kept drinking on weekends in college) until I had a Stroh's Beer, c 1988. No idea why, it might have been the night for my switch to go on, but when it did I had a Stroh's in my hand.

40. Now, THAT'S funny stuff right there...

Zhiguli likes this.