1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The One that made you like beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 28, 2013.

1. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

Michelob was the first beer I ever had and I loved it. My cousin gave it to me when I was 14.

MusicaleMike likes this.
  2. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I think my first sip of beer was probably from my dad's Old Milwaukee, which I didn't like at first. I guess the first one that really jumped out at me was Augsburger Bock...then probably Sam Adams' Boston Lager a few years later.

3. Anchor Steam.

luwak likes this.
  4. In the mid 90s, Hacker Pschorr Weisse is what got me to appreciate beer.

5. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (695) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

Traveling to Nantucket every year I found my way into Cisco Brewery. Cisco Whales Tale started it off for me.

6. A friend bought a Rabid Duck and didn't like it. He offered it to me and my love affair with Imperial Stouts began!

7. Blue Point Hoptical Illusion.

luwak likes this.
  8. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

McEwan's Scotch Ale opened my eyes to the beer world

9. Pilsner Urquell and Saison Dupont.

10. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (320) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

Bass was the first beer I could get down without spitting it out. Then Gumballhead was the beer that got me into craft beer.

11. deaner269

deaner269 Zealot (75) Michigan Jul 14, 2012

Bell's Oberon, and a monster was born.

RobertColianni likes this.
  12. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (295) New York Dec 23, 2010

Sierra Nevada Torpedo

13. Mine is a weird one...it was Fraoch. Bought it because I liked the artwork on the bottle. Still drink it once in a while.

luwak likes this.
  14. secondtooth

secondtooth Savant (375) Indiana Dec 14, 2007

Honey Brown was an early pre-craft staple.

Was originally "turned" due to having Blue Moon and Fat Tire at a wonderful Sigur Ros concert many years back...

15. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Fat Tire was it for me. Then 90 Shilling and it only got better from there.

16. Surya

Surya Initiate (20) New Jersey Sep 13, 2012

I always enjoyed drinking beer at a brew pub. It was fresh and something different than the regular beer. Then I got introduced to something incredible which my friend called the craft beer. My first beer was Firestone walker Double Jack and I haven't looked back after that...

17. Racer 5

18. BierStein711

BierStein711 Savant (250) Illinois Oct 12, 2011

Sapporo, Harp Lager, and Erdinger Weissbier

19. For me it was the Dogfish 60 about 5 years ago.

20. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I usually credit Magic Hat #9 as making me realize beer didn't have to take like tinny seltzer, though I give the craft beer epiphany title to DFH Aprihop.

21. Magic Hat #9.

22. SNPA, Boston Lager and Chimay Blue

23. csiewert

csiewert Savant (310) Oregon Apr 10, 2009

My friend's mom used to give me copious amounts of Widmer Hefeweizen and Drop Top ;-)

24. wizzy

wizzy Aficionado (165) Michigan May 20, 2006

Molson Golden. shudder.

25. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (340) California Feb 1, 2011

Red Hook ESB

26. PaulMin4

PaulMin4 Aspirant (35) New York Jan 28, 2013

Saranac IPA

luwak likes this.
  27. Had been drinking beer for years and always enjoyed the result then one day I had a Labatt IPA. Thats when the light went on.

28. Bartrash

Bartrash Zealot (85) Pennsylvania May 12, 2010

Yuengling Premium.
    It tasted better when I stole it from my dad.
    Then he bought Genny Cream Ale to piss me off.

29. Heavy Seas Loose Cannon

30. I was 5 and it was a briefly unattended Old Mill, i sure enjoyed dad's "soda".

As for my introduction to good beer, i remember it fondly. I was at my first "beer bar", Freakin Frog in Vegas with some friends who were into craft and belgian beers. I was leery of all the tap handles and styles and was about to order a miller light. "Here, try this one", a tall thin glass of cloudy yellow beer was slid in front of me. I remember there was a name on the glass in blue letters, WITTEKERKE...i was saved that day! Still one of my favorite summer beers.

luwak likes this.
  31. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Three Floyds Robert the Bruce.

I was in university and a local bar had schooner night, or fishbowl night as we liked to call it, every Thursday night. For $3 you get a fill of anything on tap. So one night I'm staring at the menu and I see some beast of a beer is listed at 7%. So you're telling me I can get the equivalent of 4+ beers in alcohol content for $3?!? Sign me up!

The bartender brings me the schooner full and I carry it back to the table. One sip and I was blown away. I couldn't believe that beer could taste this good AND have that much alcohol in it. Ended up being a pretty frequent Thursday night stop for me.

A couple things I find funny now: 1. RtB is still one of my favorite beers on the planet. 2. I started drinking RtB because of the "massive ABV" but now sort of consider it my lightweight session go-to.

luwak likes this.
  32. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I think mine was Sam Adams Boston lager.

33. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

34. New Castle was the first beer that I tried, which although I didn't love it, opened me to the idea that I might love beer. Surly Furious sealed it.

35. Can not remember ever not liking beer. Drank plenty of Budweiser in my youth in the 70's. Discovered imorted beer in the 80's but my appreciation went to a whole new level with the discovery of beers like Trois Pistoles and Hennepin.

36. New Castle, Allagash white, ipswich pale ale.

37. Sierra Nevada

38. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I think it was probably Mac and Jacks

39. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

not fantastic but it was my first experience outside of Miller or Bud and it was wonderful.