1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The One that made you like beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

the first one I had?? Never hated beer. Probably a bad thing. Hahaha...

2. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

Ommegang Three Philosophers

3. 510a

510a Savant (355) Washington Jan 12, 2013

For me coming from the mid West it was definitely PBR,, but after moving to Seattle metro in early 90's craft beer was all new Deschutes Mirror Pond and Redhook ,Ballard Bitter were some eye openers.

4. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I have always liked beer. unfortunately for the majority of my life I liked Miller Lite (with salt on the can). I drank honey Brown, heineken, Harps, Stella, newcastle, Sam Adams, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, Peroni, and many other non "BMC", but I could always go back to a Miller or Coors. It wasnt until I had my first ST Unearthly and a Delirium within weeks of each other that I realized life is too short for crap beer. After that I discovered Stone... then Green Flash, and then Hop Slam. Then it was Dreadnaught (my current favorite) and then zombie dust (2nd) and then devil dancer and even Pliny (in KY via my step dad). I cant go back to BMC and I have a hard time going back to anything that isnt a hop goddess/bomb.

5. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Savant (290) Tennessee Aug 24, 2004

Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA. A BA friend shared it with me oh so many years ago. I remember thinking I had never had anything close in taste to that beer, it hit every tastebud. I swear I just tasted green.

6. The one that made me realize that beer was more than just a tool for getting hammered was Oberon.

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Aficionado (185) Iowa Jan 23, 2012

NEW GLARUS FAT SQURRIEL on tap at the depot in praire du chein totally blew my mind had a chimay blue befor that but didnt now what i was tasting total novice back then

8. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

Magic Hat #9

9. When I turned 21, my parents gave me a mixed 12 pack of Smuttynose, the de-facto hometown beer, which I remember really enjoying and remains one of my favorite breweries. But the two beers that really stand out in my memory as changing my opinion of beer are Harpoon IPA and, I hate to say it, Hoegarden. A few days after that birthday, I went to a great little bar behind my apartment and ordered a Hoegarden on a whim. I had no idea beer could taste like that--it blew me away. A few weeks later, I remember being similarly blown away by the piney taste of Harpoon IPA. I drink a lot more of Smuttynose than either of those two beers these days, but they're the ones that most stand out in my mind.

10. Shade1951

Shade1951 Zealot (80) Pennsylvania Sep 19, 2012

I tolerated beer in my youth. It was "okay." Oddly, the first beer that got me to thinking about styles beyond the blandness that was available in the 60s and 70s was Schmidt's Bock Beer. This would be available only during Easter season, but I would always grab a case when I could. After that, decades passed before I found Yuengling's Porter and Guinness. I found that I liked the very dark, very heavy brews, though the lack of carbonation in Guinness turned me off after a time. And then, just over the past couple of years, I got turned on to the IPA's and DIPA's and Belgians and Barley Wines, and I now find that I don't want to bother with beer at all unless (in most cases) it is extremely bitter/hoppy, and has an ABV of 6% or greater. I can drink a BMC on a hot day, but I'm just as happy drinking sparkling mineral water. They taste about the same.

luwak likes this.
  11. nyyfanatic213

nyyfanatic213 Savant (375) New York Aug 24, 2011

Chimay Red brought me into the Light

12. Edmund Fitzgerald