1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Plot to Destroy America's Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by CellarGimp, Oct 26, 2012.

1. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

It would be my pleasure to discover that that, for the types of beer we all love, things did continue to get better, and that there is little inevitability to producer size growth reducing product quality.

2. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Well in one sense breweries are like people. Some get better, some get worse, some don't change. The question is are there more getting better than there are getting worse? And you've already answered that question more than once when you point out, as you have several times, that the world of beer now is sooooo much better than it was when we were both younger and more foolish. :)

BrettHead and cavedave like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Indeed, so true.

Hope you don't mind me toasting that thought today at a local beer festival that will certainly prove its accuracy.:)

BrettHead and WynnO like this.
  4. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Like bretthead tried to point out to you, you don't use a balance sheet to talk about income and expenses and profits. What you want is an income statement, which can be found here:
    http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/IncomeStatement.jsp?tkr=BUD&period=qtr

YTD: 3.65B in profits on sales of 19.2B

BrettHead likes this.
  5. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Well, half of almost nothing is approximately the same as almost nothing:) We'll never know for sure how things are changing until someone invents low cost time travel.

6. Fux

Fux Savant (275) France Apr 20, 2011

Maybe that's the case in the US. Where I live, it is a common knowledge that Leffe has been brewed by monks inside an abbey for centuries.
    Who spoke about advertisement?...

Not really convinced. Outside of the US, there has been no prohibition, still the market is dominated by giants such as AB Inbev, Carlsberg, Heineken, etc. People drink bad beer because it's cheap and well advertised. The fact that it never changes is also a good point for macrobrewer, so maybe (hopefully!) InBev is making some mistakes there.

Sorry, but I do not agree. Some brewers might think as you say, but not all of them. Lots of brewers have had their income lower the day they became brewers, why they make this choice is because most of them are passionated people. Of course they have to make profits, as Anheuser-Bush used to do. But they do not need make ever more profit (such as Brito does), above all if this implies lower quality. As long as they can live from that, most craft brewers are just happy making good beers. Or so I hope.

7. So they moved the Abbey to Leuven, inside the Stella Brewery?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leffe

8. I was corrected once by my friends from Sweden that they had a prohibition. Parts of Canada too, among others. Just saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition

9. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

10. Fux

Fux Savant (275) France Apr 20, 2011

Shhh... You will truly break dreams with assertions like this... :confused:

Interesting. I was not aware of that. Generally speaking it looks more like restrictions than complete interdictions, which mainly occured during the war... with the exception of Iceland where "beer remained prohibited until 1989" (Shocking :eek: )

11. Wow, what a gross overstatement. I love imperial stouts but will not buy GI --- I in no way consider this a major loss given there a number of better impy stouts out there IMO than BCBS.

JediMatt likes this.
  12. If your're a beergeek, why would this even matter? I equate AB with Budweiser and quit drinking that 15 years ago.

i