1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Pony Bar(s) prices up $1

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by BeerWorld, Jan 3, 2013.

1. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (360) New York Feb 20, 2008

Just noticed all draft prices at both Pony Bar locations went up to $6 from $5 previously. Welcome 2013! Still some of the better deals in the city though but I kinda liked nice round number 5.
  2. gory4d

gory4d Savant (475) New York Apr 14, 2007

$6 for 14 ounces seems like I'm getting two ounces too few.
  3. Soontir

Soontir Aficionado (110) New York Jan 14, 2011

Maybe, but most places in the area are charging $7-8 for a pint, $6/14oz is cheaper per oz then $7/16oz.
    WhereTheWildBeersGo and mdfb79 like this.
  4. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

WhereTheWildBeersGo likes this.
  5. The Pony bars were two of the more underpriced beer bars in NYC so I can't fault them. And I guess they like round numbers or else they could have upped everything by $.50 first.
  6. This price increase has been coming for a while guys, beer has only gotten more expensive and 5 dollar pours just weren't cutting it anymore. Happy hour is still 4$ from 4:20-5:20, but growlers are now 19$ for a 14oz pour and 22$ for an 8oz pour. Plus 6$ for some of the pours is still the best deal you are going to get in NYC, thanks to everyone for continuing to support Pony Bar!!
  7. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (360) New York Feb 20, 2008

One thing about The Pony bars is a top notch eclectic beer selection where you'll most likely find several beers that you really want to try. Beers like Bruery Smoking Wood, Wild Turkey Ten Fidy are on right now as well as constatntly rotating gems from Hill Farmstead, etc. and special treats from East End. Just a small example of excellent variety of beers available every day at The Pony(s).
  8. i think they do the smaller pours to compensate for $1 tip per drink. it increases tip $$$
  9. The smaller pours are to account for a sixtel or if the beer is on the higher side in ABV. It has nothing to do with tips.
    Crack1Open likes this.
  10. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

I'd rather spend a buck more to support good beer people here than to pay 'the douchebag dollar' (spending money to support bad people, or people bad to and for craft beer) elsewhere...
  11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (925) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Still think it is one of the better deals in Manhattan - I have been a fan of this place for years and have no issue with them upping the price by $1 (it had been the same price for the last 4 years at least).
    mdfb79 and Crack1Open like this.
  12. I agree for the 14oz pours. Great spot. I live close to the UES location and it will still be my regular as often as I can get out for a beer. I've always beek o.k. with the smaller sizes as it means I can try a few different beers in a night.

But the value on a lot of the smaller pours is out of line now. Pony Bar UES has Big A IPA on right now. $6 for an 8oz pour. That's $12 a pint for a good mid-ABV beer. I'd feel a lot better of paying the $6 if a small pour was 10oz. I don't see myself buying any small pours this year. For comparison, Blind Tiger has Big A at $7.50 for a 12oz pour right now.

Still the best bar in the neighborhood for selection and service. I don't see that changing.
  13. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (925) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I don't disagree with you on the small pours (of course it depends on what the small pour is... ABV, rarity, etc.) but I usually found myself ordering the normal pours. Pony Bar gets a pretty great selection and the only other place that I can think of having as close to as good prices is Drop Off Service in LES - though not nearly the selection and rotation.