1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The power of advertising

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jageraholic, Feb 5, 2013.

1. So I got an email from my mom talking about the Superbowl and the commercials, and in it she writes,
    "I heard one guy from my office say he was going to try some new dark Bud beer he saw advertised, so I guess that one got at least one new customer. "

Ahh, the power of advertising to the dumb.
  2. I buy a bag of Doritos the day after every Super Bowl. I must be in the dumb club...
  3. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

sheeple gonna bahh :)
  4. Dude. I heard a guy saying he was going to take off work and drive from store to store within a 50 mile radius to buy a $20 6-pack of some new hoppy beer that was just advertised on an Internet forum!
    beerme411, drtth, Angst and 7 others like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You've never seen a new product advertised and decided to give it a try?
    beerme411 and krl2112 like this.
  6. Definitely have given in to advertising, but usually I know what the product is before I buy it. I don't think Bud ever said it's a dark Bud beer in the commercial. But probably saw that its called Budweiser Black Crown and assume its a some completely new dark beer from Budweiser when really it's a Bud with slightly more flavor.
  7. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I haven't, at least not from the television. It's different if I'm reading a Beer dedicated magazine like "Draft" and check out the ads, because it's specialized pandering, which I prefer to bonehead pandering that you get on television.
    Providence likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Just last week I saw a commercial for Taco Bell's new Steak Cantina Burrito, then I went out and had one for lunch. I am such a sheep. :(
    KevinMc79 and Dtapeski like this.
  9. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Hey, I'm not trying to play the role of elitist snob, here. I'm just being honest. I can do without fast food, too, but I'm not going to judge others.
    Providence likes this.
  10. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Who in their right mind can say they have never succumbed to television advertising? Maybe we on this forum do not when it comes to beer, as we spend time getting educated on the subject, but give me a break if you say nothing you see on television affects your buying habits.
  11. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

If advertising didnt work for the VAST majority of the consumer public, we wouldnt have commercial breaks. Has nothing to do with anyone being "dumb". Are people dumb if they like black crown? If they decide to try something new and judge for themselves?
  12. You don't think advertisers pay that kind of money to make sure people DON'T buy their product, do you?
    FosterJM likes this.
  13. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I still have no idea what a black beta fish had ANYTHING to do with a sapphire beer from Germany. Im still lost on that one.

Cheers!
  14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Weird. I just clicked on this thread and suddenly had an uncanny urge to subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine.

[​IMG]
    Hanzo and FosterJM like this.
  15. I'd help you out but I have no idea and I generally avoid TV commercials, Super Bowl included.
  16. Black Crown seemed to be marketed to doods.
    Sapphire seemed to go after the chicks.
    Old Milwaukee was for the hipsters that ride mass transit.
  17. I would love it if TV didn't have commercials and don't think I'm the only one since Tivo's and DVRs were invented. But people who buy things because of an advertisement are not dumb. People who don't even understand what the product is but are going to buy it anyway, are dumb.
  18. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

I don't watch TV anymore, so I am safe from the evil advertisments. :)
    Oh, look at that, the beer shop I like on Facebook posted a photo with newly arrived beers!
  19. Did you guys catch the Cantillon commercial right before halftime?