1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The problem of the good IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by drgarage, Nov 16, 2012.

1. pvllbum

pvllbum Aficionado (245) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

Im sure someone else said this but kinda skimmed through I will break up my beers and not drink styles back to back...keep it mixed up.
    headyhopzhead likes this.
  2. I tried Celebration tonight... so disappointed.
  3. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I'm disappointed in your post. How's that for "balance"?
  4. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

My thinking exactly. Thats why when I do my DIPA homebrew soon its gonna have about 22 oz of hops for the 5 gallon brew, which'll be a basic "nothing special" pale ale base. I want it to be 100% about the hoppy hops awesomeness.

5. How cute.

Seriously i dont know why this is so highly lauded. I hardly get any hops in the nose, maybe its just a bad bottle or something.
  6. Yes! This. Just..this.
  7. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

again... When it comes to world class beers, none is better than the other, only preference over preference.

Celebration Ale is absolutely world class, and so is PtE, and a bunch of others. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. Just taste preference.

To me....Sierra Nevada rocks those Cascade hops, I cannot taste much else in their beers anymore haha.
  8. A particular beer will never be something it's not. If you area looking for Celebration to be a modern day hop bomb, you will be sorely disappointed.
    Powderhornphil likes this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

IPA with more hoppy flavor is definitely the preferred way Americans enjoy it. You put the cart before the horse in your post. Brewers brew IPA's in America extremely hop forward because that is how the majority of us like it, and what sells.

And as for your contention about what the style is or is not, IPA has no such definition, as it has been everything from a mild to a rip-off-your-face hop attack since first it was brewed, and that holds true today in this country and every.
    ripps1 likes this.
  10. It all depends on what you are drinking and when. IMO you can't mix too many different IPA's at one time, your palate just can't handle it, and you may really miss out on a great or world class or awesome (insert adjective here) beer in the process.
  11. shuggy

shuggy Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

My problem with the good IPA is that there isn't nearly enough of them. Especially where I live. For every one worth drinking there is 500 that aren't.
  12. To me a world class beer is any beer that makes you say "holy shit that's good beer",and then you tell everybody you see about it.
    tmm313 likes this.
  13. jcanddr

jcanddr Aficionado (160) California Nov 16, 2009

my butler is very very sneeky !
  14. Which is one of the things that turned me off to whale (or even quasi-whale) hunting. For me, one of 3 things would happen when trying the 'world-class" brews. Once in awhile, they'd be truly mind-bogglingly good. More often, they were ok, but I felt as if I'd been let down in a huge way. Thirdly, the whole chase and the idea that I want ONLY to drink the 'best' (whatever that means) beers kind of ruined beer for me, and made me forget what I got into it for in the first place. Give me good solid regulars, with a few new/exciting brews, and the rare "For f%cks sake, that just rocked my world, but I'm not going to go out and search for 10 more to cellar" beers, and I'm a much happier man.
  15. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

Yep. If the worst thing that happens to you today is that you have a "just OK" beer, you've still had a good day.
  16. this is also known as " heady topper before a pliny" syndrome. i could have just had the pliny that night, and would have loved the taste. however, drinking the HT first raped my palate, and my taste buds were busy taking a shower with a wire brush.
  17. The problem with good IPA's (in bottles) is that they are mostly neglected in the supply chain & are stale by the time they get to customers through neglectful distributors & half-assed retailers. Sorry but I don't agree with some brewers that their IPA's are good for 6 months...more like 6 WEEKS for me.

This is solved by having a draft of said IPA at a bar, but that's way more costly & I'm at my wits end dealing with the nonsense at modern-day beer bars (pretentious servers, short pours & high prices).
    jrnyc likes this.
  18. and avoid White Rajah. Head Hunter is just sooo much better.
  19. Celebration 2012 is very malt forward. Torpedo is a much better IPA offering
  20. I've learned perception of taste is largely dependent upon what you have had recently. Tonight I drank a growler of NEBC Ghost Pigeon Porter, then poured a couple ounces of homebrew oatmeal stout. I tasted a lot of chocolate covered banana flavor that I have no tasted previously. I think poured a little of homebrew IPA and it tasted hoppier than it did a couple weeks ago because I had been drinking sweeter beers previously. Not only does the Lulipin threshold exist, previous beers/foods matter as well.
  21. Like another BA said, IPAs can be objectively unbalanced. Certainly, you're right that it is, on the large scale, subjective, but, as with any rule, there are exceptions. Ruination is absolutely not subjectively unbalanced; the fact that it is unbalanced in the direction of hoppiness is the entire selling point and the meaning behind the name. DFH's Minute trilogy are imbalanced in the direction of being malt-forward.

Also, discussions are subjective by nature as well. You know going into a discussion with anyone that they are going to give you their subjective opinion. You know that someone else saying something is balanced doesn't necessarily mean it will be balanced to your palate. Thus, there is no need to retire the word "balance" or any word from any type of discussion. It is what it is, and if you'd like further clarification on a subjective matter, you can always ask for it.
  22. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Very true, and the key word is balanced. Too much malt and you get a DIPA that IMO is too sweet; ie. Maharaja. Hit it right and you get really great brews like HT/PTE/Kern Citra and so on. I've also had hop juice, not enough malt and it's overbearingly bitter, with no real flavor that IMO is undrinkable. Foothills makes Baby Jade, and a Papa Jade that fits this to a T. Baby Jade was an accident they forgot to add the proper bags of malt, so it turned into a "session" IPA at 3.8%ABV that is way to bitter to enjoy. A very high yuck factor.
    CBlack85 likes this.
  23. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Just building off of some other pro-malt / -balance comments here, I fully appreciate both sides to this argument. I much, much prefer a "balanced" IPA, but still crave face-melting hops on some level or another.

Personally, I think you can have a well-built malt body that doesn't battle or overshadow the hops. The problem is a lot of brewers seem to "balance" hops with caramel and crystal sweetness, hence the polarization over Southern Tier's DIPAs. I think it's entirely possible to have a very dry, but not plain or boring, malt character.

I like it to be a little biscuity, to have a bit of fruity, lightly tart wheat character, and moderately toasty. This is not the same as being a "malt bomb," but is still capable of balancing an unequivocally hop-forward beer.
  24. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

This may be the first time I've seen FBS referred to as a "session beer"
    CBlack85 and fmccormi like this.
  25. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

Haha comparatively speaking yes.
  26. wrycon

wrycon Savant (270) Minnesota Apr 22, 2009

Beer burnout in general is real. If you take time off and then come back to it, you'll appreciate the quality and nuance in any style.

Hell, you may even taste the triple-hop brewing in Lite.
  27. I don't think so. I'm not interested in drinking any style that isn't great, unless constrained by availability. But "great" can change from day to day depending on our physiology and recent experience. For example, I consider Stone IPA to be a very solid brew and would never turn one down. But last week I had one at my parent's house and on that day, in that hour, it was amazing - so much more than I would normally acknowledge.
  28. In My opinion Celebration IS world class.
  29. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

[​IMG]

Fresh Duet with playoffs today.

Cheers
    fredmugs and JxExM like this.
  30. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

[​IMG]

More fresh Alpine with Matt.

Cheers
  31. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I recently cracked a Hop Stoopid and I was seriously impressed. It can sit proudly besides Pliny and Heady without as much as a second thought for me.

A good IPA has a solid, sweet malt backbone for me. It should seduce me with fresh, floral hops on the nose, make sweet malt love to me and then pucker up and give me a big grapefruit, peach and pineapple kiss in the finish and I really need a girlfriend, apparently.
  32. cmq103

cmq103 Aficionado (230) New Jersey Dec 13, 2008

I agree. Hop Stoopid is an outstanding DIPA. I haven't had any of the Pliny's yet, but I'm quite satisfied with the Hop Stoopid availability on the East coast. Pliny does not make it out here in bottle that I could ever find.
  33. I read this, and immediately thought of Smuttynose Finest Kind
    fmccormi likes this.
  34. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Finestkind is a damn good beer. And it is a serious hop bomb, when fresh.
    raffels likes this.