1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Problem with Batch 19

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThirstyFace, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Is that it's really good.

Found myself in a situation last night where it was that or Stella or Goose Island IPA. Had 4 of em and enjoyed every last drop.

My question, is the definitely an AAL? I didnt pick up an any adjuncts.

Bitterbill likes this.
  2. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

It is an adjunct lager. They upped the IBUs on it and dropped the corn bill, but there is corn in it.

3. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Missouri Feb 16, 2013

4. ThirstyFace

thanks

5. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I know one thing................. I liked it................... kinda:confused:?

creepinjeeper likes this.
  6. ThirstyFace

I was surprised, but I found it to be refreshing and with enough bitterness to set up miles above any other BMC lager

7. justforrazors

I've only had a taster from a local bar, I thought it was okay but wasn't really in the mood for something that light...ended up going with a moose drool. Definitely better than the majority of AALs out there though.

PieOhMy likes this.
  8. I had it at a Buffalo Wild Wings and I gotta admit (reluctantly ;)) that I kinda liked it, too. Not something I'd go out of my way for, but if it were a choice between this or AB, I'd choose Batch 19.

einhorn likes this.
  9. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I found I liked it as well. Definitely would mind haveing some of these if i were at an all macro bar. Your making me think I should grab another one to retry.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. einhorn

einhorn Savant (345) California Nov 3, 2005

Tried it the other day, and if you blindfolded me, I wouldn't be able to categorize the beer. It wanted to offend no one and appeal to all which might be good, I was just missing some definable characteristics and oddly enough, couldn't put my finger on one.

Damian74Shensky likes this.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

/facepalm emoticon needed....

12. ThirstyFace

Did you try it?

13. I was thinking the same thing. I think I might have to throw a bottle into a make your own 6 pack.

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

yes, back when they were promoting it at a GABF. There's some humor in my post, you know. maybe I need more winkies. ;)

15. It's colors light with a little more malt and hops. Sorry OP but I think you are way off!

Givemebeer, DJFairhurst and alysmith4 like this.
  16. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

Not the direction I thought this thread was headed...

17. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

I thought the problem was the price point, for a miller coors product it actually was good but not for the price. There's a ton of hoppy lager styles at that price point or cheaper that are better.

18. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

This is funny and ironic to me. The one time I had Batch 19 I was in So. Dak visiting family and the bar in the hotel I was staying had it (I had never heard of it before). (As an aside, I have plenty more to this story about how the bartender talked me into getting one, but I digress.) Anyways, I didn't think it was great but didn't hate it either.

Flash forward about a month, I'm back in SD for a funeral and staying at the same hotel. This time they had switched out the Batch 19 for Moose Drool. I got a Moose Drool and remember thinking to myself - "Batch 19 was better". Was not a fan of Moose Drool.

19. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Good, you've located it. The next step is destroying it......

jrnyc, Givemebeer and Holmes698 like this.
  20. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Fuck it. I'm drankin Bigfoot. I love Coors and all, but fuck it. I don't wanna hear bout no AALs right now.

DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  21. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I don't like this beer at all, I don't know why anybody would take it over Goose Island IPA. Shrugo_O

22. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

I drank and rated it last week. I was pleasantly enjoyable for what it is, good balance and not watery. I won't be buying it again though. Nice to try once at least for the "history" effect, or something

[​IMG]

Zaphog and acevenom like this.
  23. I thought it was a damn solid beer.

cavedave and Bitterbill like this.
  24. Eh, I tried it at the local pub for a change of pace & liked it. Yes, it's an adjunct, but it's got more balls than an adjunct usually has. Works as a session brew by my standard, good job Coors (still surprised).

baconman91 and Bitterbill like this.
  25. HighWine

HighWine Savant (325) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

It would get better reviews if it had the same recipe but with an Oskar Blues or Troegs label on it.

YogiBeer, dar482, jgluck and 11 others like this.
  26. I thought it sucked. Tasted like coors or bud to me.

27. It is an average beer, better than a Coors but not something I'm going to seek out again.

The real "Problem" is guilt by association.

e30todamax likes this.
  28. If you read a previous thread on Batch 19, the "history" is sketchy at best. Like a lot of marketing from the big AAL companies, it's more hype than history.

Providence and BoneyardBrewer like this.
  29. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

So the choices are Batch 19, Stella, or GI IPA? Millercoors or AB In-Bev? They didn't serve water at this establishment?

Brestel, jchoffman and BoneyardBrewer like this.
  30. ThirstyFace

To say you don't like it is o course just fine, but your comment tells me you are either lying about your experience, your taste buds are retarded or you never had a Bud, which puts you back to pants on fire

DJFairhurst likes this.
  31. ThirstyFace

No, they did, but my old man was across the street slowly dying and me and brothers needed some quick numbing and bonding.

I'm not a political beer drinker anyways. I don't drink BMC for taste issues, but I wouldn't burden myself with guilt for imbibing. I have other gripes that take front seat.

Anyway, it seems that many here agree with me.

32. justforrazors

Yeah I don't love Moose Drool by any means, but I didn't feel the guilt I get from drinking a Coors product. I was in the mood for something darker, but in an honest assessment batch 19 is probably better, although it is difficult to compare the two considering they are completely opposite sides of the spectrum.

33. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

I thought it was just as bad as Third Shift by Coors and Black Crown. just my 2 cents tho

34. Haven't tried it yet, but its gotta be good if an adjunct lager from one of the evil empires is getting mediocre reviews here. ;)

35. I don't understand the problem? You liked a beer...

Do you feel guilty because it's BMC? I kind of get the vibe that there's a problem because you used to think there was no such thing as a good American Adjunct Lager. It's a recognized beer style, which some would think means there are going to be both good and bad examples of it.

And to people saying it pretty much tastes like Bud or Coors...WTF? I've had lots of Bud and lots of Coors and my fair share of Batch 19, and I assure you they taste nothing alike...next you're probably going to tell me I have an amateur palate because I prefer Gubna over Deviant Dales :confused: (literally been told this before)

36. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I must have gone to the wrong website as I seem to have stumbled upon Adjunctadvocate. ;)

I wrote that it was "bland but no bad taste."

Holmes698 likes this.
  37. WesM63

WesM63 Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 6, 2011

Apparently I'm a snob cause I thought it tasted like piss water. There is no way I would drink it over any other craft beer.

(Granted, it was ok for what it was but not good enough to make me want to drink it over something else)

Holmes698 likes this.
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'll have to disagree with you re Third Shift...I thought it was horribly boring and nothing like Batch 19, which I gave a 4.2 for a rating in the style. I haven't tried Black Crown yet.

39. Many people on this site said Glissade tasted like Bud too - and that was a full flavored lager. But you have to keep in mind many young craft drinkers have cut their teeth on full flavored craft ales and they will never appreciate a well made lager because it doesn't live up to the profile they think beer should be. Kind of ironic that they probably hold disdain for macro lager drinkers for acting the same.

40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Great post!