Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

The Pros and Cons of "Outing" Someone

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Bluecane, Feb 14, 2013.

1. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (770) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

OP gives new meaning to the term "beer geek" :D

2. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (715) Indiana Nov 29, 2007 Verified

All of these bad trader threads (and now analyses) is making this forum my least favorite on BA. That's sad, because 2012 Beer Trading/General Help forum and I had some good times together.

3. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

26 years and counting, my friend! The geek part, anyway.

4. Bluecane

Insufficiently, my dear SDT.

5. Bluecane

Pfft. Those read like they were written by 2013 join dates.

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  6. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (585) California Aug 11, 2007 Verified

Nah man, no need to crack down on the 2013 guys. The 2012 shall forever twenty twelve it up in here. You just missed the cutoff, lucky you.

domtronzero, Gosox8787 and Bluecane like this.
  7. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

So 2012 is this forum's "summer". Interesting.

Sure does feel like 2012 up in here.

sliverX, MordorMongo and abecall98 like this.
  8. I think you need to give people a bit of time, but not too long. It's really hard to say what the right length of time is, as I think it varies in every situation.

A day is way too soon, a month is probably too late. Two weeks after missing an agreed upon shipping date with no good reasons and/or poor communication is probably about right.

9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I have no issue with people outing people earlier IF they are clearly actively trading, as in that case you KNOW there are other possible *victims*. That said, there seems to be a trend of premature ejaculation lately with some threads. I still say better safe than sorry but yes, SOME avenues should be given time to run their course before outing someone.

10. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (640) Texas Nov 20, 2011 Verified

If you are to the point where you feel the need to post a thread about it, you should just post the name of the offending party. You probably aren't getting your beer anyway.

In my one experience though, several friends of the guy who owed me a bottle made it right on his behalf...so sometimes it can work out.

Photekut likes this.
  11. Bradystraps

Bradystraps Aficionado (215) Connecticut Jan 24, 2013 Verified

Have I told you gents lately that I haven't received my Heady Topper from Sunglasses yet? I mean it WAS shipped on Monday via FedEx... for the 3rd time.

12. blvdlvr

blvdlvr Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012

I feel you should start a bad trader thread on shades, for no other reason to see him string together a tapestry of obscenity.

13. Bradystraps

I think he's been terminated by the owners here.

The dude really effed me and a few others. Nothing like a seemless good first trade experience, eh?

Any good samiritans that would like to ship me a can of Heady Topper will in-turn receive a goody shipped back at them. :D

14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Sweet, I will go file for a restraining order now then.

mattafett and Bradystraps like this.
  15. Bluecane

If you can come to Camrbridge, MA on 3/15 at night, then I can probably hook ya up! Might be able to stop on way from VT, but I don't know where you are, nor do I know the area geography anyway.

16. mattafett

mattafett Savant (475) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

One thing I hate is the nuking of these threads. The bros have talked about the value of ones time posting (I would quote the thread but am on my phone) but then nuke the 5 + page threads. I get it sometimes. Other times let it live. There is a bit of value in every thread

jrnyc likes this.
  17. Bradystraps

Wish I could.
    If you pick up a bunch and want to swing a trade, please hit me up.

18. Book I Section IV

Thrasymachus continues to bluster and to engage in persiflage. He argues that most people are "good" in appearance only; they do "right" things or try to pursue dike (the way things ought to be) only because they are ignorant, or stupid, or afraid of the punishment of the law. Strong men and intelligent men have the courage to do wrong; they can out-think simpler citizens and overpower weaker ones, weaker in whatever sense. Injustice (adikia) is the best course of action; the unjust man can take advantage of his fellows in every instance; he can cheat on his taxes, rob the public coffers and defraud the public, juggle books in a position of trust, and so on. And if one steals, Thrasymachus says, one ought to steal big. The more power, the better: The tyrant's life is the good life. At this point, Thrasymachus would like to leave the debate.

Socrates says that Thrasymachus is wrong on three counts: that the unjust man is more knowledgeable than the just, that injustice is a source of strength; and that injustice brings happiness.

In his argument at this point, Socrates again employs analogies, in this case the physician and the flute-player. We notice, Socrates says, that it is the ignorant man who always attempts home-remedies; always the man ignorant of music who attempts to outdo the musician and thereby shows his ignorance of the art.

Next, Socrates reminds Thrasymachus that even thieves have to trust one another and to show it by a fair division of their ill-gotten gain. That is, they too have to practice a kind of justice; otherwise, a gang of thieves would break up and their little "state" would degenerate into disunity, chaos, unhappiness. Unjust men, at whatever level of their practicing injustice, degenerate from an assumed strength to weakness.

Socrates' next argument advances analogies of the pruning hook, the eye, the ear, and the soul, all of which possess their several essences, what we may call their essential functions, or virtues. The eye sees, the ear hears, the pruning knife cuts well. These are their several virtues. What of man and his virtue in this instance? Man's virtue herein is his justice; it enables him to live well in harmony with others and to be happy. Only justice can bring happiness. Injustice at whatever level brings chaos, discord, unhappiness. In thus producing happiness, justice may be said to be more profitable than injustice.

At this point Thrasymachus quits the debate.

liamt07, libbey, FTowne and 3 others like this.
  19. mattafett

Found it http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/edit-delete-threads.47329/

20. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,440) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

Shouldn't it be a scarlet BA?

dachshunddude86 and Bluecane like this.
  21. johnhenryconway

johnhenryconway Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2009

Didn't you get called out as being a fraud trying to get people to send you beers for free in the last thread because you had the same join date as the guy you called out? You sure are living up to that.....

22. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,060) New York Mar 12, 2009 Verified

I would combine this with Pirsig's additions to the argument concerning quality. This is the truth, and always will be. Those who live their lives with this argument in mind will prove its value to themselves.

23. cavedave

Plenty of good Samaritans on this site. In your case I suggest you pick out some established traders in Vt., message them, and you send first.

I don't have any HT, but if I did I would not be sending it to you and waiting for you to send back, nor sending at the same time. To me the join date thing is too much to ignore. You are a "you send first guy" to me.

Hindsight likes this.
  24. Bradystraps

What's up with you, man? Seriously?

I mentioned in jest that if anyone did have any HT I would be happy to swing a trade. I just completed another trade in which I gladly shipped first. I will ship first everytime... I could care less and actually trust people, hence me being screwed by Sunglasses.

You act like I am some criminal here from your posts in my threads and frankly, I don't appreciate it.
    Move on now, please.

25. Bradystraps

Seriously????? Good God, the conspiracy theory. Comical... and sad. o_O

26. cavedave

Easy, you are the one who said send me some HT I will send something back, and anyone on the site under a year under ten trades sends first with me. Not all of us are all sunshine and lollipops with noobs who don't even bother to follow the most rudimentary laws of trading (noobs trading with noobs is trouble is the first most obvious of these).

BobZ and dachshunddude86 like this.
  27. Bradystraps

It was said in jest... not for the purpose of trying to screw somone. Jeezus.

And, I was unaware I wasn't allowed to trade with other "noobs" or needed to follow the "rudimentary laws of trading".

Here's my LAW of trading: I agree to send something and I do so, the next day, and provide a tracking number that day. I just started here so I only have 2 trades so far. I have followed my law both times and intend to do so, every time.

28. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (360) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

I haven't traded yet so maybe I'm wrong. But I do know how to read. I think that what cavedave is saying is if you continue to follow your "rules of trading," he will trade with you. Eventually, if you prove to be a reliable guy, he may even ship first. However, if ou decide to wear sunglasses in your avatar, all bets are off.

29. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Initiate (0) Antarctica Jan 22, 2013

What about the pros and cons of butt sex?

lurchingbeast and MordorMongo like this.
  30. Bradystraps

I don't ever expect someone to ship first to me. And I have no issue whatsoever with shipping first. EVERY time.

31. cavedave

You are allowed to do whatever you want. If you are a noob and you trade with a noob it shouldn't be a great surprise what might happen.

You can jump out of a tree, or mix ammonia and bleach too. Don't be surprised if not everyone is sympathetic when you tell them about the trouble that happened afterwards. Some folks might even tell you that you were foolish to do it.

BobZ and dachshunddude86 like this.
  32. Bradystraps

Thank you. It has been nice to meet your acquaintance here.

cavedave likes this.
  33. mattafett

I've been a member of this site for longer than the majority of you in this thread. I have also traded far less than most. My rule is this. Don't screw me and I won't screw you. Noob or experienced trader. If the person is setting out to screw someone, time makes absolutely no difference.

Bradystraps - If I had something to trade to you I would. And we can ship at the same time. I don't really care. I approach trading with open arms.

jrnyc and Bradystraps like this.
  34. In Bradystraps' defense I posted a purely hypothetical scenario on how someone could profit from the general reaction to these threads, I never said he was actually trying to pull the scheme off. At the time he did not have his location in his profile.

It is purely coincidence (maybe) that his future comments supported my scenario. However I will refer bradystraps to the famous line in Hamlet, act iii scene ii for how the community is viewing his posts

BobZ and cavedave like this.
  35. That sequence of events sums up a recent experience for me. I withheld the name, he outed himself. I still don't know why. It took an awkward, regrettable situation and made it even more awkward and regrettable. Bottom line: Give your suspected bad trader plenty of time to make it right before starting a thread. When you're sure, out him.

36. n2185

n2185 Advocate (685) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008 Verified

F. You post about a bad trader who turns out to be yourself. Every night when you went to sleep, an alternate personality took over, traveling across the country to buy beer and set up trades with your conscious self. Because each morning you wake up without realizing what your alternate self did, it is your alternate self's attempt to communicate with your conscious self. However, your alternate self stops awakening after you start taking sedatives to cope with your lack of sleep, thus failing to hold up his end of the bargain. He lies in dormant agony, unable to fulfill his duties as he painfully and helplessly watches his reputation dismantled through your eyes.

cavedave and Bluecane like this.
  37. Is his user name projectmayhem?

38. blvdlvr

blvdlvr Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012

that happened to this guy
    [​IMG]

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  39. liamt07

liamt07 Champion (795) Ontario (Canada) Jul 26, 2009 Verified

"Cons"

40. Hindsight

Hindsight Savant (255) Ohio Oct 8, 2011