1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Rare Barrel news!

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by afrokaze, Nov 11, 2012.

1. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

http://therarebarrelblog.tumblr.com/
    I know others have been wondering what they were up to, and looks like they found a place to settle down in Berkeley. Seems like it'll be a while before they open shop, but hopefully the beer will start making the rounds soon. Looking forward to trying something from these guys.

pinkgrenade and NoSignsOfPain like this.
  2. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Thank you for posting about this! I was talking to a friend last month about this brewery and couldn't remember their name for the life of me. Now I can stay updated on the progress.

3. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

My friend is meeting up with a couple of the guys from the Rare Barrel this coming week to discuss what beers we'll be serving at out new beer bar. Can't wait...

4. Man, This is amazing news! I cannot wait!!!! Hopefully the beers aren't exorbitantly priced though.

5. Rare is right in the name...

6. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

This, Ledger's, and Jupters. Just another thing to look forward too when I visit Berkeley. :)

afrokaze likes this.
  7. hophead247

My friend met up with Alex from Rare Barrel last night, and they are going to start brewing in January. They plan on releasing their first beers around summer time if everything goes right.

We'll be their first account, so we plan on having a nice kickoff release party for The Rare Barrel when the time comes.

Caps & Taps in Dublin. We should be pouring before months end, so come check us out.

flayedandskinned likes this.
  8. Do you have an website to check out?

9. hophead247

10. hophead247

Silent tasting last night with the guys and friends. Such an awesome group...can't wait to try their offerings.

11. abecall98

Making my mouth water. Can't wait to see what they can do. Looks like they have a lot of space to for large supply, and the enthusiasm to please us sour heads.

12. Looking forward to seeing what these guys can do.

13. super amped on this news! Who doesn't love some quality sour action.

14. I read the articles in the links. I have no knowledge of barrel aging techniques, but when beers are put in barrels, are the barrels usually dry inside? I am just curious since they have 200 or so barrels sitting around with no beer inside.

15. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

Generally, breweries try to fill barrels when they're still wet, and/or as soon as possible after receiving them. This is both for the sake of making sure that the wood doesn't contract and cause leaks, as well as minimizing exposure to air/bacteria. Considering they'e brewing sours, the infection angle is somewhat less important (although they presumably would prefer to focus on whatever bacteria they're intentionally pitching until they have a handle on whether any sort of spontaneous fermentation in their location would be beneficial), so they can just re-wet the barrels later to make sure that there aren't leaks.

Barrels used for sours are frequently second or third use barrels, rather than fresh barrels (although it looks like all of theirs are straight from wineries right now), so they can afford to be a bit looser with things. Having 205 empty barrels sitting around isn't quite optimal, but it's by no means unworkable.

16. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

No. If barrels dry out they don't seal, and need to have water added to make them swell again and seal. Personal experience, one of my cabernet barrels was inherited after drying out, and after trying to swell multiple times, its never held its seal.

17. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Were you there?

18. Just shared a 09 Oude Tart with Alex @ The Rare Barrel. Getting stoked on the project.

drgarage likes this.
  19. Any bets as to whether or not they price bottles at $25+ right out of the gate?

20. abecall98

I really hope they keep it sub $20 a bottle. If they keep the 750's (assuming they come in this size) around the 15$ range, I could see myself trying a lot of their stuff.

Not sure if a brewery that has not proved anything can justify $25 bottles. I say no way.

21. They will have affordable "short production" berlinerweiss options, but anything with a barrel, time and/or fruit is going to have to cost quite a bit.

22. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

I think it's say to say their business model is based on having a premium price point.

23. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Jay is an awesome guy and this brewery has got me very excited.

That said the BA pricing bitching has got to stop these guys haven't even made a beer yet!

24. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

i know good lord! literally not one beer made and people are already complaining about prices!!

and abecall, who are you to say that a brewery "cant justify" 25 dollar bottle prices when you dont know anything about their financial status or cost of goods or labor? lol

25. He's wondering how a brand new brewery with no brand history or track record of great beers can justify (to the consuming public, not to their accountant) charging more than places like Cascade, Allagash, and Russian River for their brews.

EDIT: He also expressed hope that their beers would be priced lower than that.

26. abecall98

Really now? Do you think it would be a wise decision for a brewery that hasn't even brewed yet to just push out 25$+ bottles of beer? Why would people pull the trigger if they can just grab reliable bottles of RR sours for $12 each?

What part of my post came off as complaining? All I did was answer the question that was asked. I simply said I don't see them charging that obscene amount for beer, especially when just getting off the ground. I am not complaining about them, they haven't done anything yet.

I personally look forward to them breaking into the scene. We need more sour options.

27. pinkgrenade

a brewery doesnt need to charge lower for their beers just because they are new. how would that make sense?

well this thread got strange. we probably shouldn't be focusing on prices that dont exist, and more about beer that doesnt exist!

28. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

If these sours are anything like the Bruery's, this place will be a "gold mine" in no time

29. I hope they put out sours in 12.oz sixers. How awesome would that be?

30. abecall98

Hell, I'd settle for 4-packs. It would be awesome to see either.

31. danscott

danscott Savant (335) California Jul 15, 2006

There is a ton of room in the market for more local sours, I hope they kick ass.

Speaking of local sours, Ale Industries will be releasing weird and wonderful things this year, too. A Sac distributor just picked them up, so they should be in all the craftier spots.

32. The pricing concerns are justified. While the brewery can charge whatever they want, whether or not consumers purchase these products is another thing. I'm quite conscious of getting as much value as I can because I currently don't have the means to disregard price as a factor in my decision making. I assume most people consider similar factors when faced with the choice at a bottle shop. As abecall pointed out, what will the new, unknown product provide at a higher price than a proven beer at a lower price?

33. pinkgrenade

nobody said they are charging 25 dollars for a beer! or anything lol this is silly to keep focusing on

34. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (290) California Jan 12, 2009

High prices let us know how good the brew is. Duh.

swolepeer and MykelJH like this.
  35. I think the concern is justified for several reasons:
    1) the name on the bottle is "Rare Barrel"
    2) everything I've seen/read leads me to think the startup costs were pretty high
    3) Almanac's beers were what, $18/bottle when they first started out?

EDIT: I'm not complaining/bitching/what have you, I'm voicing trepidation. I seriously hope that I'm proven wrong about all of this.

36. Hilarious to see people bitching about pricing when they haven't even started fermenting a single beer.

The attitude of some BAs never ceases to amaze!

pinkgrenade likes this.
  37. abecall98

Where exactly are people bitching? All I see is a discussion about pricing. Not much bitching or complaining, nor any direct mention or attack of the brewery. Way to spin our points into another focus. Did you even read what we typed out?

38. abecall98

Now that's, what's up.

39. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Update: I was invited to a sour bottle share last week at The Rare Barrel's new facility in Oakland! It was great getting to meet Jay and Alex and learning more about their plans that will become reality soon. A few pics:
    [​IMG]
    The barrel stacks (currently about 250, with room for about 1500 eventually.)

[​IMG]
    A variety of wine barrels, most weren't marked so no idea where they're sourcing them from yet.

[​IMG]
    The first fermentors. To give you a sense of scale, the main room is about 5 times this space.

[​IMG]
    The cube tanks they'll use to transfer wort from the contract brewery (no idea where yet) to the barrel house.

[​IMG]
    Obligatory bottle brag shot.

[​IMG]
    The whole group for the share - had a great time and Jay & Alex seem really passionate and confident in their concepts. If the bottles we shared are their inspiration, then I'm damn excited to see what they'll create. I wish them the best of luck!