1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Return of Beer Karma

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, May 7, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Prior to March 2012 there was Beer Karma. From an old page on the topic:
    It was represented as a number and icon (beer vessels) and BA members were given titles based on their Beer Karma points. The concept has been missed by many and requested numerous times.

Today we're happy to announce its return.

Stat Tracking & Updates

We're currently tracking the following stats:
    • Beers: Hads, Reviews, # Brewers, Beer Styles, US States, Countries, Wants, Gots, Added, Pics Uploaded
    • Places: Reviews, US States, Countries, Added, Pics Uploaded
    • Events: Added
    • Forums: Posts, Likes
    Member stats and Beer Karma are automatically updated on the hour for users who've logged in within the hour. (If you log in and you have zero points even though you've contributed content, your account will update on the hour.)

• Members will receive 1 point of Beer Karma per stat.
    • Wants, Gots, Forum Post Likes, and # Place Categories (brewery, bar, store, etc) are not counted towards Beer Karma.
    • Full Beer and Place Reviews are worth 2 points each.
    • If items are added/removed, points will be adjusted during the next update.
    Display Updates
    • Member sidebar info updated; when logged in. Displays Beer Karma plus number of Beers and Places with links.
    • Member pop-up card stats updated.
    • Member profile pages updated to display the following stats (if any):
      • Beers: Hads, Reviews, US States, Countries, Wants, Gots, Added, Pics Uploaded
      • Places: Reviews, US States, Countries, Added, Pics Uploaded
      • Events: Added
    To-Do Items
    • Cleanup stats displayed on member profiles.
    • Add a profile message for members who currently don't have any points in all of any of the categories.
    • Create a static Beer Karma explanation page.
    • Launch new member titles based on Beer Karma points.
    • Display Beer Karma next to BA names; Forum and Reviews.
    • Consider icons or other visual element to coincide with member titles.
    • Fix bug that doesn't count master brewery locations (beer placeholder for breweries with multiple locations) towards US States and Countries.
    • Extend all of this during the site redesign; more stats, uses and ways to earn.
    Post-Launch Updates
    • Beers: tracking # brewers.
    • Places: tracking categories; # brewers (who are more than just a production brewery), bars/eateries (combined), stores/homebrew shops (combined); might break these up in the future.
    • Stats added to member profile pages.
    • Stats are now being displayed within the side bar on a member's Beers and Places pages.
    • Stats/Beer Karma are now updated when doing a Had/Review.
    • Stats/Beer Karma are still synced hourly for the most recently logged in/active. members.
    That's it for now. Enjoy your Beer Karma. You deserved it!

Cheers!
  2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

This is great! So will we be able to see a breakdown of our Beer Karma and the other opportunities to earn more? I seem to remember seeing a chart recently that showed the Karma points that corresponds with certain achievements (e.g. ratings, post count, likes, membership length, etc.).
  3. nickfl

nickfl Advocate (745) Florida Mar 7, 2006

Glad to see the stats return, I could take or leave the karma. That being said the system for allocating points sounds pretty well thought out.
    spointon and BeerKangaroo like this.
  4. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I was wondering what it was ... thanks. :)
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Just noticed the changes. Great to see some of the review stats back too. I have no idea what 4,406 beer karma points means, but I hope it gets me a free ride on an airplane.
  6. And there was much rejoicing!

Thanks for this. Any chance (presumably in the redesign) that states and countries could be made clickable so we could see what we have accomplished and/or what we're missing?

Cheers!
  7. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Ahhh, I missed you beer karma. I actually stopped uploading new beer pictures because I figured it was pointless. Maybe I'll pick that up again.

Dope
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yes. This will be included in a future update.
  9. This is awesome news :D

Thanks guys!!! This is the best update by far!
  10. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Savant (290) Tennessee Aug 24, 2004

I am going to get that Fez dammit!!

...The Fez is back right?
  11. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I was wondering when this would come back.

On a related note, are there any review/rating system ideas for the traders in the works?

Cheers!
  12. It will be interesting to see how members react and contribute in order to gain karma. It can only add to the fun and good conversations.
  13. socon67

socon67 Advocate (625) New York Jun 18, 2010

Ah, beer karma. I knew you would come back to me. :)
  14. Yeah!!!! My OCD can finally relax...sorta...
    therica and Kendo like this.
  15. I believe in beer karma.
  16. This is great to hear, it truly has been sorely missed.
  17. I'm glad the states and countries stats have returned.
  18. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Advocate (650) New York Mar 5, 2010

So glad to see this is back up. Thanks, bros!
  19. Strong work! Of note, this is just in time for 3 million reviews. Quite an achievement.
  20. Bring back beer karma gets you guys some serious beer karma.
    Cresant likes this.
  21. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Are you still planning on doing something with all the old posts from the old site? You said there would be static html pages and we would get our posts back?
    animal69 and Retsinis like this.
  22. Are you still going to implement the 'milestone' karma points that I remember being posted on here a couple of weeks ago? For example,

Xx points for xx years on BA
    Xx points for xx total posts
    Xx points for xx total likes
    Biffster, Evil_Pidde and jhartley like this.
  23. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

24. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,050) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

DA VESSEL!!! wooo ha!!!
  25. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,050) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

we should have a MOHAWK!!! :p
  26. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Yessssssss!! Thanks gentleman!!
  27. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (475) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Is there any way to make sure lazy tickers don't get a point? I don't mind if people are ticking (I have a lot of ticking to update), but some people will just click 1 so the beer goes on their Hads. This runs counter to "Respect Beer."

Any thoughts on this? A ticking police is too time-consuming, but maybe a script could monitor people who Had and select 1 several times in a row?
  28. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

speaking of pictures, I have 1 recently uploaded and 1 that's been waiting for a month to be approved. Why the long wait?
  29. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

How does it work? In terms of BA I mean.

I like it!!
  30. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

When you get enough, you're a Grand Poobah!
  31. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

I wonder who has the most karma points right now. I've seen a fellow SoCal BA with close to 13,000 points.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  32. Burkbom23

Burkbom23 Savant (360) Connecticut Mar 11, 2013

I am fairly new to the site so dont remember it from before, but nice re addition. It would be cool if they had a list of top 250 BA by Karma
  33. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

I thought we weren't supposed to talk about karma...

...or have I just been here too long?
  34. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I was thinking the same thing.. haha I thought that was the #1 rule!
  35. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I think that anyone who insists on suggesting how Beer Karma points should be calculated ought to lose all their Beer Karma points. No, wait.
    IPAdams, cavedave, machalel and 7 others like this.
  36. "Questions about Beer Karma will go unanswered" I think was the phrasing.

I'm assuming once the bugs are all worked out, that will once again be the dictum.

Either way, I'm glad to have it back. Makes me feel like I can accomplish something in my life.
    OneBeertoRTA, jhartley and Genuine like this.
  37. The original BA stats were instrumental in bringing out my ticker side, so I've missed them. Thanks for bringing them back and look forward to the ability to see the details to enhance my ticking activities. I have a lot more states and countries to go!
    PS to the purists, I'm a full glass/full review ticker; just like statistics.
    mactrail likes this.
  38. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

They update pictures of beers and places all at once/one day, rather than daily as they come in.
  39. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Aficionado (225) Vermont Nov 16, 2012

I would like to be able to click on my States and Countries stats to see which States and Countries I've checked off and which ones I haven't hit yet. I suppose I could go into my had list and do it myself, but that's a waste of time.
    CaptJackHarkness and ZEB89 like this.