1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Return of Beer Karma

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, May 7, 2013.

1. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I was literally just thinking 'when will that return.' Good stuff guys!
  2. Yeah! I am glad to see the karma and stats back. Yeah!
  3. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (270) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Glad to see it back. Here's hoping to see the return of mugs/the fez.
    ncstateplaya and jasonmason like this.
  4. Great to have the stats back! Any chance that a "number of breweries" stat will happen. I think that was one of the other stats from the old system I followed.
    Thanks for the effort to reinstate the current ones.
  5. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It's been requested in the thread already. I'll indeed be looking into it and more.
    corby112 likes this.
  6. Lemme throw a vote in for a user's "average" score for all beers reviewed too. That was a cool stat we used to have. Everytime I thought I was being a little too rough on a beer, I would click over to Arbitrator's page, look at his average score, and feel better about my 'bashing' of a beer.

Might as well beat a dead horse while I'm at it: Hads shouldn't count toward a beer's score or a user's karma rating.

Big props on the moderators. Things have been better here lately.

Regardless of the pace, the site is coming along nicely. Better to do things the right way, and only once, than the fast way, over and over. . .
    impending, mnrider, corby112 and 7 others like this.
  7. +1
    mudbug likes this.
  8. rudzud

rudzud Advocate (620) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2010

Any chance of adding "Breweries" to the stats?
    aasher likes this.
  9. Does subscribing to the magazine gain you additional points, as in the pass.
    mudbug likes this.
  10. Todd

Unfortunately not. There's no longer an easy way for us to verify/sync accounts.
  11. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Does this mean that all forum posts made to the old message board also are not currently counted towards beer karma (since they're also no longer being used)?

I'm aware that the "unused" duplicate reviews will be emailed to us in the future; I'm just trying to understand the distinction between deleted and unused.

Thanks! Love that beer karma's back. Beer on, everybody!
  12. Todd

Correct.
    kojevergas likes this.
  13. Burkbom23

Burkbom23 Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 11, 2013

Is there a way we could see our Average review score and compare that to what the average review score is for the beers we have reviewed?
    beertunes likes this.
  14. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Advocate (675) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

If this is our one opportunity to give our two cents on the Beer Karma system - it seems out of whack that full Reviews, adding new Beers/Places, and adding Beer/Places Pics are worth the same value as a single Forum post. It would seem like those things are contributing a lot more value to the site's user-generated content.

I don't know what the right ratio is, but it would seem to me that as valuable to the site:

Add Beer/Place > Add Beer/Place Pic > Beer/Place Full Review > Add Event > Had Review > Forum Post

15. You're right. It would be so much cooler if Todd had specifically said this in the OP of this thread:

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  16. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Advocate (675) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

I understand Beer and Place Reviews were worth 2 points. In hindsight I goofed by including "Full Reviews" in my first sentence.

But that doesn't change my point about Adding Beers/Places and Adding Pics of Beers/Places.
  17. site is looking great
    Rutager likes this.
  18. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (575) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Hurray for the return of karma points! Thank you

The more stats listed the better, IMHO
  19. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

What does "Beer Karma" actually gain a person? What is it's overall point?
  20. Todd

This was stated in my original post:
    As you've been a member since 2009, this shouldn't be a new concept to you; unless you didn't realize it was part of the site.
    aasher likes this.
  21. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

It's a valueless way to show approval for contributions to a site. It's very Pavlov's dog, but it's the least a website host can do for their users who actually make the site a relevant resource.
  22. Todd

I'm biased, and each member's experience is different, but I think we provide members much more than just Beer Karma.
  23. mattafett

I have always understood that. But what is the next level, beyond a simple stat? It could be as simple as a bragging thing. I've honestly never cared what my score was, I just utilize the site in the best way I see fit.
  24. Is the updating on the hour going to be the norm from now on? If I remember correctly, in the past it was instantaneous.
    stephenjmoore likes this.
  25. ktblue22

ktblue22 Aficionado (230) Vermont Feb 15, 2013

Very cool! Thanks and Cheers!
  26. Todd

To each their own. You can just ignore it then and continue using the site as you see fit.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  27. Todd

New Updates
    • Beers: tracking # brewers.
    • Places: tracking categories; # brewers (who are more than just a production brewery), bars/eateries (combined), stores/homebrew shops (combined); might break these up in the future.
    • Stats added to member profile pages.
    • Stats are now being displayed within the side bar on a member's Beers and Places pages.
    • Stats/Beer Karma are now updated when doing a Had/Review.
    • Stats/Beer Karma are still synced hourly for the most recently logged in/active. members.
  28. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

That is great! Thanks Todd. I guess the only stats we do not have back from the old site is the number of beers by serving type.
  29. Todd

Correct. We'll take a look at that with future updates. This is all just the beginning of bring back Beer Karma and user stats. We plan on doing much more with future updates.
  30. Burkbom23

Todd, thanks for the update. Is there any plan for your average rating being a stat you could see? Also maybe what the total average rating for all the beers you have had. It would also be cool if we could sort the beers we've had not only by what we ranked them but also wha the BA average is. Thanks again for the updates!
  31. Todd

We plan on breaking things down quite a bit with future updates.

The main goal with this update was to get us as close to where we were; and we're very close.
  32. Burkbom23

Nice man, thanks
  33. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Wow - the stats are cool addition or returning feature - whatever - I like that breakdown. I had no idea I have had 37 different styles...somebody asked me that the other day and my answer was I dunno, four or five...

The evolution looks great to me!
  34. Kreko7

Kreko7 Savant (305) California Mar 5, 2013

Excited to see beer karma in the stats! Thx bros!
  35. mattafett

I "review" using "Hads". I think it would be cool to be able to do something similar with "Places". I'm not a person that has any interest in writing full on reviews, but do take the criteria required into my "hads" rating. I believe making things more "user friendly" would get people to rate places more. I would do it for sure.
    Kreko7 likes this.
  36. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

More statistics = more fun :)
    Centennial likes this.
  37. # breweries is back. Thanks a million for the recent updates. This is a great site.
  38. Karma police, arrest this man!
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  39. First of all, all the new stats are awesome. "More statistics = more fun", indeed!

However, I did notice a small bug: for the Places statistics, my page says I've reviewed from 3 states and 3 countries -- but I've only ever reviewed places in the United States. Are states getting counted as countries, perhaps?
  40. If a thread gets taken down any Karma points awarded from said thread go away .. correct ?