1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Return of Beer Karma

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, May 7, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

If any content gets removed, Beer Karma will eventually be updated.
  2. This is awesome news! Thanks BA!
  3. I disagree emphatically about adding a "been there" for places, similar to "hads" for beers. When I'm using the Beer Fly guide, I want to see why a place got the rating it did and the experiences that others had in order to base my decision whether or not to visit a place...and I'm sure most that utilize Beer Fly do as well. A simple number rating just doesn't convey enough information.

It's truly a shame that more people don't review places; current reviewing just plain benefits the community and makes it easier on travelers. The irony is that those who won't take the time to review a place, probably secretly appreciate those who have...as they themselves peruse. I don't think "not user friendly" is a good argument for laziness...
    jmdrpi, jazzyjeff13 and wingedeel like this.
  4. Wait, beer karma left? I guess I have been gone for a while.
  5. BryanCarey

BryanCarey Savant (280) Texas Aug 9, 2006

Nice to see the return of Beer Karma. I plan to increase my number as much as possible over the coming months.
  6. Todd

Bug Fix:
    Place stats weren't updating when submitting a review; only on the hour. They do now.
  7. Gmann

Gmann Advocate (520) New York Aug 13, 2006

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in before Beer Karma goes back to the "fight club rules". I believe, not certain, that the forum posts are currently weighted too heavily. It doesn't make sense for a post that states, "hell ya, that beer is kick ass" should receive a full karma point whereas a full review receives 2 points. I believe forum posts got you .1 points before, which seemed reasonable. Most forum threads are recycled threads (or ISO/FT) and most replies don't add much to the greater craft beer awareness. Hads should be discounted as well, not as much as forum posts, but similar. I would suggest perhaps a heavier weighting for place reviews as it seems this is not utilized as much as it should be. I also like the mysterious different weighting bumps based on time served on the site.

Anywho, just my ramblings. Great job getting the site back to where it was.
    Etan likes this.
  8. I miss being a Grand Poobah (or whatever). It helped me face the day each afternoon.
  9. Would love to see the icons back either next to member or location in the avatar box
  10. Todd, what exactly does "# Brewers (who are more than just a production brewery)" mean? Is it only craft brewers that I've visited?
  11. Todd

Depends on if you're looking at Beers (number of brewers you've had beers from) or Places (number of places you reviewed that brew beer).
  12. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

Finally! Just logged on and noticed I had karma again. Was very pleased to see. Thanks!
  13. beeragent

beeragent Savant (465) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I miss the beer mug icon next to each users name, depending on their beer karma points. Will those return?
  14. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,060) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The icons were fun, I hope they return as well someday...
  15. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

I remember one of the previous updates mentioning they were going to be rolling out new titles/icons/etc. at some point, so get excited.
  16. So what exactly is beer karma used for? other than distinguishing us from each other?
  17. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

It's basically a way of the site's owners (the Alström brothers) acknowledging the contributions of the site's members.
    atone315 and Bitterbill like this.
  18. Roger that
    Greywulfken likes this.
  19. FanClub

FanClub Zealot (95) Indiana Nov 2, 2012

And a way to sell magazines
  20. Todd

I'd love to know how.
    msubulldog25 and IndyDad like this.
  21. I originally subscribed to the magazine to up my karma. I wanted an accelerated means to get into trading. Wasn't the trading forum at some point only accessible after so many karma points were achieved?
  22. Todd

Subscribing isn't currently applied in this new rollout of Beer Karma, and trade forum access wasn't tied to Beer Karma.