1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The return of Pete ("Wicked Ale") Slosberg - as a session beer "brewer"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jesskidden, Jan 1, 2013.

1. I think to your point, now one really knows the overall potential of the session beer market. Just like no one knew the potential of the craft beer market 25 years ago. It's easy to say it won't work, but I think it's worth finding out, and apparently, many others think the same. As for collecting dust, I'm sure we could all find dusty bottles of any brand, especially on the 22oz shelf.

2. Yankee can get Notch, but does not always stock it. We are Massachusetts only right now, and 75% of our biz is within 128, and only there will you find all of our offerings. Shoot me an email when you are coming to Boston, and I'll send you locations with a solid selection. Thanks! [email protected]

3. Great man, thanks a lot!

4. Agreed - I suppose I shouldn't jump to any conclusions yet as the question is very much unanswered.

As for the dust collecting, absolutely. I feel like every store in Eastern MA just needs to join forces and have a big "craft beer fire sale" day where anything caked in dust is 50% off.

5. Five years? Really? I've been on this pretty closely, and five years ago no one knew dick. First time I saw anyone saying session beers would be big was in 2009; it didn't really start picking up till 2010. So...maybe an exaggeration to make sessions look like a failure. Give it time; or don't, since you've apparently already made up your mind. As for the price issue, I guess craft drinkers are going to have to decide if they're paying for flavor or alcohol, eh?

6. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Cheap vodka is a much better deal than high ABV craft beer.
    I once brewed a 3.8% ABV beer for an employee party. It was brown, and fairly hoppy, but your really could not drink enough of it to get drunk. Nevertheless I had people staggering around after 2 or 3 pints because they had convinced themselves that dark and hoppy beer must be very alcoholic.

7. Fyne Jarl is excellent on cask as are others like Cairngorm Black Gold, Spectrum Dark Fantastic and I could go on and on. Fortunately we have a great cask festival every year in my home town so I don't have to travel for them.

ETA: I am drinking a Notch Session Pils right now, a very nicely done beer.

Vonstein15 likes this.
  8. This depends on everyone's definition of "session" in this thread. Certainly lower abv craft beers are the ones dominating sales in the US. Allagash White is 5% abv, Sam Adams Boston Lager 4.9%, Sierra Nevada bottle is 5.6%, but draft it's only 5% abv. Goose Island is another large brand who sells the ever popular Bourbon County Stout(s), but I would bet they make all their money off of Honker's Ale at 4.2%. Victory Prima Pils is a bit high at 5.3%. Double IPAs and stouts certainly garner all the attention and ratings on this site, but I'm not so sure they're the ones generating the most profit.

It took many years for the IPA to be largest selling craft style in the US, "session" beers may take many years as well.

9. So by your estimation, I am off by a little more than a year- was that worth calling out? And just because you bloggers didn't start talking about it until 2009, doesn't mean it wasn't already a topic that many beer geeks were already calling for and talking about. A simple google search for "session beer" shows a link to this site and a article written in 2005 by the bros as the first result just as an example.

Obviously you are reading into my post and applying what you think about beer geeks to what I wrote. No where did I say they are a failure - just not as much as a success that a small contigent of craftbeer fans so madly want them to be. Just calling it as I see it - I have no agenda to push here, nor have I made up my mind.

Drinking beer is a poor value if getting drunk is your goal and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot would be much harder to find as it offers one of the best price to alcohol ratios around if that was what craft drinkers were only looking for. For me its about volume consumed and how much that volume costs. Most likely I am going to consume a lot more lower abv beer than higher abv beer as inebriation is what causes me to stop drinking during a session - so at the same price point as other craft beers, it becomes cost prohibitive - even more so when brewers put them out in big bottle formats as "specials" and/or at a "special" price. IMO there needs to be some motivation to get regular craft consumers (those that buy both craft and crafty) to come to the session beer table - right now that motivation is not happening.

Also I think what is hindering its promotion is the "session beer" term to begin with. Outside of beer geeks and the beer press (who can't agree on a definition to begin with due to their hangups with arbitrary abv's) very few know what the term means and how it relates to the quality/flavor profile one can expect. I think describing them having a softer, yet full flavor profile, increased drinkability, and you can drink more than one without palate fatique would serve the catagory better. Heck, the Light beer designation would work wonders as people are already familiar with the term, understand they are lower in abv, and are easier to drink, but that would get too crafty for most insiders I would think.