Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

The right "pub" in L.A.

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by ethippo, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ethippo

ethippo Zealot (80) California Feb 19, 2010

A combination of the following: a good selection of beers - at fair prices, a convivial ambiance - homey but not too divey, (invented a new word?), A broad spectrum of patrons - not all hipsters sipping snifters or toothless old drunks, crowded - but not sitting in your neighbors lap. Where in L.A.?? Music some nights would be a plus.

Good example of a bad example; ________ in Hermosa Beach - great beer list, ordered a tasty looking Belgian. To my surprise it arrived in what appeared to be an 8oz. snifter. I thought I was at a doll's tea party! The food was the same way, small, arty, and expensive.

Good example: Rocco's Tavern in Culver City. The beer list is moderate, but always something good on tap. I ordered a double pour of Dogfish 90 minute for $8 recently, (happy hour seven days a week from 3-7). Crowded and noisy, but in a good way. Some places you are so close to your neighbors you could give them an orgasm if you're not careful.