"The Shocking Ingredients In Beer"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KingBiscuit, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Initiate (0) May 30, 2005 Illinois

Guinness is made with fish bladder. Lovely.

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

German Beer is praised thanks to “Reinheitsgebot”, the Purity Law.

About craft beer she adds: "However, companies like Miller Coors are slowly closing in on craft beers and buying them up one by one…" Well not quite. And "Make sure your favorite craft and microbrew is still independently owned and controlled before taking a sip." This.

Cheers!

2. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Actually I'm pretty sure many people believe German beer has fallen behind because of the Reinheitsgebot, where creativity is often stifled. I still believe that they brew their classic styles better than we can (usually by a mile), but I don't think the law is something to be praised by most beer geeks.

3. cliftoncr

cliftoncr Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 North Carolina

Nothing like a little omega fatty acid in my beer. Good for the health. I also drink sours for the Lactobacillus and its probiotic effect on the digestive system. :wink:

4. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Pooh-Bah (2,057) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I stopped reading once I hit "lightening."

5. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Yawn. [Takes another swig from his beer glass].

6. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Already knew

Doesn't phase me

7. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Maven (1,355) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

What's your problem with isinglass? :grimacing:

On the rest, the post is rather ignorant if not outright wrong. Note that the "GMO corn" image further down is entirely composed of macros (including Newcastle and Foster's). She's just another militant pontificator: "I see it all the time. Someone who eats organic, makes the right choices at the grocery store, is fit and lives an extraordinary healthy lifestyle but then drinks beer like it is going out of style." I see all the time too--food bloggers who don't know there ass from a hole in the ground.

Don't get me wrong--she's right about corn products. But that's adjunct.

8. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

No thanks. I'm not a hipster so I don't drink beer to make a statement.

jreindl, Roguer, Bones10 and 12 others like this.
  9. Hubbs85

Hubbs85 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2011 Georgia

When she says "there's someone in her house" that loves beer. Her husband must be getting a bad beer gut so she came up with some reasons for him to stop drinking.

5thOhio and Smokebox_79 like this.
  10. kolschboy

kolschboy Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2003 North Carolina

When someone refers to themself as a "foodie", I laugh at them.

Dracarys and utopiajane like this.
  11. Hoozierdaddy

Hoozierdaddy Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2009 Illinois

I hate to break it to you, but many, many brewers, both commercial and homebrewers use fish guts, AKA isinglass.

MarkJBurch and Stugotzo like this.
  12. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Gotta love the internet. :rolling_eyes:

5thOhio likes this.
  13. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

14. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And it is a processing aid, NOT an ingredient. Think we have done this dance recently.

VictorWisc likes this.
  15. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

Stupid article is stupid. Hate on the big name beer for tasting shitty, not for stupid scare tactics like this.

The "fish bladder" thing is the worst of it. The article makes it sound like you're drinking fish pee, not a gelatin derived from an organ that lets fish control buoyancy. Never mind that it's been used for centuries to clarify wine and beer; it's automatically Evil.

This person obviously has no idea how brewing works.

jreindl, Bluecane, litheum94 and 4 others like this.
  16. dmeadows

dmeadows Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2002 New York

It's really not shocking at all. Shocking was discovering Tilapia as an ingredient in Greek Yogurt.

abkayak and Premo88 like this.
  17. domnalbrecc

domnalbrecc Zealot (562) Jan 31, 2012 Pennsylvania

I find this to be a rather hysterical overstatement of fairly well-known facts. Especially when she shrieks about the "coverup" of ingredients. Isinglass is never a "key ingredient", because it contributes nothing to the flavor of the beer. And if she were truly as Greenpeace-y and vegan-conscious, she would know about barnivore.com....which actually lists all beers made without isinglass or any other animal products.
    Silly girl. And I love how she lists Blue Moon as one of the crafts bought up by the big guys. I'm pretty sure it's been almost 20 years since Blue Moon was bought out...so, not news.
    And her closing picture of her raising a glass of wine? Really? Silly, silly girl.

jreindl likes this.
  18. rc51sport

rc51sport Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2013 North Carolina

And CCB posted a pic on Facebook of a bag of that cat sh** coffee that's most likely going to end up in a delicious beer. A beer that I will not be trying. But there will always be ingredients that sound strange to someone. Don't overreact. They add it for a purpose, to make the beer better. It is nothing you will ever notice.

19. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Weasel shit, actually.

20. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Pundit (991) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I'm a beerie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.