1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The thing I like most about beer is...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pieman25, Jun 7, 2013.

1. I was just talking to my girlfriend about this yesterday, but the thing I like most is also the thing I hate most about beer - the sheer variety of it all. I could travel the entire planet and sip beer from every country, but I would never be able to try each and every beer out there, there's just too much of it. This aggravates the perfectionist in me, the bit that seeks to know, do, and try everything just because, and to no end either. However, it also drives me further into beer - it is the people's beverage, and just like people are incredibly diverse, so is beer. Even if I can't have EVERY one, that doesn't mean that the endless variety means that i can always try something new, or I could stick with a beer that I have already tried as well if I'm not feeling too adventurous. Of course, there are lots of reasons to drink beer, it's good for you in moderation, it tastes damn good, it goes well with pizza, it's prettymuch liquid history, but the thing I realize now that I like most about it is its endless variety.

How about you guys? What's your favourite thing about beer, the thing that makes you want another?

RaphaelSC, Kerrie and cjs61679 like this.
  2. It gets me drunk! But in all seriousness its a drink that everyone has a version of, you can travel the world and they have a beer thats native to them, it will always be refreshing, and a welcome sight. I feel like its the working mans wine (although its becoming more snobbish). There are a lot of varieties that can suit your tastes. Its easy and cheap to make.

3. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I like the camaraderie it brings when sharing brews with appreciative friends.

4. The bubbles.

ElijahRivera and RissalovesRogue like this.
  5. Variety is what got me hooked on it in the first place. I drank mostly bourbon for a while, but drinking an entire fifth is a good deal more an endeavor than a single bottle of a mix-a-six. You get to try so much more with beer.

VDODSON likes this.
  6. the culture, history, and variety..sooo manyyy ticks

and the beards

DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  7. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

You can drink it.

ChiTownPackFan likes this.
  8. DEM BEARDSSSS

Oh and drunk BA beer talk posts, dem too!

hopsputin and KS1297 like this.
  9. The variety or styles, the flavors, and the camaraderie are all great, but I also like the fact that it's a very healthy beverage in moderation. It can lower blood pressure, raise HDL levels, lower LDL, reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers, may stave off Alzheimer's, slows calcium loss from bones, could improve kidney function, and can help to rehydrate. Plus, it contains all kinds of helpful vitamins and minerals. Find me one other "health supplement" that does all of that AND tastes good to boot.

Kerrie likes this.
  10. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

It's just flat out fun to drink, and with so many different alcohol levels, different flavors from different malts, yeasts, hops, water chemistry differences, there's an infinite variety! Most beer tastes pretty good, but so many beers taste great, especially in this day and age. Before I was a beer drinker, I'd think, 'hey, wine is pretty good, but I have to be in the mood for it,' and this is the same with spirits and other drinks. I'm always in the mood for beer, every day, and any time of day. It goes well with food, fine or cheap, dessert, breakfast... And to top it off, it makes me feel good, as long as I don't overdo it. ;)

pieman25 and Topher78 like this.
  11. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

The alcohol.

Be honest people, that's why we drink it.

12. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

actually not. I usually am not in the mood to get a buzz, but I'll still drink a beer... but only 1. More than 1, I'd get that buzz.
    I like the flavors.... grapefruit, or chocolate, or coffee, or vanilla..... Something for every mood.
    Man I love that grapefruit.

13. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

You could, um, eat a grapefruit? A chocolate bar? Cup of decaf? Nilla Wafers?

Appreciating alcoholic beverages doesn't mean you drink them to get a buzz. But the alcohol is what gets you interested in beer in the first place, right? Or did you pick up that first can of Natty Ice because you dig the flavor of rat piss? ;)

pieman25, joeebbs and KS1297 like this.
  14. Being a new member to BA and in general new to the "hobby", the thing I like most is how much there is to learn. And in learning, getting to drink amazing beers. Sure, I have been drinking craft beer for years, but mostly your typical 6 packs of whatever is available...then backbaybrewer shared a 750 of Cantillon Iris with me and everything has now changed....

15. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

the hops grapefruit flavor is not the same as the flavor of an actual grapefruit ;)

Over the last year or so, I basically stopped drinking most alcoholic beverages altogether because they were too boozy. The most I can manage is beer.... basically because the flavors entice me so... so I turn a blind eye to the booziness.

never had a BMC beer oddly... proof positive that rat piss ain't too enticing on its own. :)

adamjthompson00 likes this.
  16. There is pretty much something out there for every budget, mood, season, palate. Plus, the buzz that some of these high octane brews pack isn't a bad side effect.

17. It always seems to make my wife look hotter. ;-)

ThatCracker likes this.

18. /thread :cool:

Gregg_Kawakami and Beeranator like this.
  19. I would have to say the history and decorum (if you will) of beer. It is amazing to learn about each style, and to expand beyond that to each brewer, each glass, and so on.

20. Burkbom23

Burkbom23 Savant (360) Connecticut Mar 11, 2013

There is a million things I love about it. But if i had to pick one, it is the variety.

stella77artois likes this.
  21. The buzz (obviously) and the fact that there are SO many varieties and breweries, it's a hobby that you can constantly experiment with.

cwreay90 and Gregg_Kawakami like this.
  22. Benish

Benish Savant (480) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Friends and family. And taste.

23. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

The thing I like most about beer is...

the belly!

ThatCracker and loafinaround like this.
  24. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

The way it's given us one more thing to bitch about on the internet.

MadDogMD and backbaybrewer like this.
  25. Great beer is cheap!

26. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

the taste and aftereffects.

Gregg_Kawakami likes this.
  27. BILF

BILF Advocate (575) Israel Jan 9, 2010

Brewing it.

dianimal likes this.
  28. Xtent

Xtent Savant (260) California Jan 16, 2013

having to piece together the night before

29. 1) The taste.

2) The buzz.

lucasj82 likes this.
  30. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (345) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

The taste...

31. BlueMoon10

BlueMoon10 Savant (440) Mississippi Mar 29, 2013

Mmm..... It'll get you drunk.

- Samuel Jackson Beer.

Xtent likes this.
  32. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

But I could drink all kinds of alcohol--wine, liquor, etc.--if I just wanted to drink alcohol. Like loafinaround, I like the unique flavor profiles of beer, the fact that I can drink relatively more than other types of alcohol without getting too f'd up, and the relative inexpensiveness of beer. Even pricey beer is generally less expensive than good wine. So, no, it's not alcohol that got me interested in the first place.

33. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

the variety of flavors!

Geuzedad likes this.
  34. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (465) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

All the different styles. It is amazing how many different takes on the same thing you can find. How could one ever grow tired of drinking beer when there are so many different types to have?

35. jborg

jborg Savant (250) New York Dec 13, 2009

It tastes good and sometimes it makes me feel better.

cwreay90 likes this.
  36. It helps me pee.

37. deekyn

deekyn Aficionado (220) California Dec 20, 2011

Searching for that new favorite. could this be it?

38. It's amazing the strides in freshness, availability, quality and variety that have been made over the past few decades- these are truly great times and I don't take them for granted for one second. I especially love how even large breweries (such as Pilsner Urquell) are starting to respond to this segment of the market's preference for fresh and dated beer. I hope to see even more of that.

Also- seasonals!!! Almost too many to choose from these days, but I'll take it. That's the best way to ensure you aren't getting something that has been laying around for too long.

herrburgess likes this.
  39. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (365) Texas Nov 19, 2012

I enjoy every aspect of beer and the art of making it. The fact that there are so many varieties can seem overwhelming at times, but at the same time, that's also what makes it so exciting. Endless possibilities just waiting to fill your glass.

40. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) Minnesota May 30, 2013

Beer is easier to get into. Nothing against wine and spirits, but they can be costly and hard to know where to start. Beer is for everyone. You can spend just about any amount to find something you enjoy, and the ability to experiment with different styles allows for it to never get old.

RaphaelSC likes this.