1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Tickers Club

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, May 16, 2012.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

My goal is to try as many new beers as possible and I log each beer I try.

I recently learned that this makes me a "Ticker". I rarely drink the same beer twice, unless it is really really special (or it is BMC stuff at a pool party or what have you).

Stand up and show yourselves fellow Tickers!
  2. I had that mentality early on and trading ridiculously frequently helped encourage that. I don't trade nearly as frequently at the moment. While I'll never get tired of trying new things, drinking what I enjoy, whether it's new or familiar, is my focus currently.
  3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I only stray for two styles, either IPA's or BA Stouts/Porters and such. I have world class beers I can get within style so I stay with what I love, I don't enjoy branching out, and usually regret buying something 2nd rate or not a comfortable style when great is available. I'm a one dimensional far from adventurous BA I suppose, but that's ok too.
  4. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

I just enjoy beer...I personally don't feel the need to keep a journal about it...to each their own

Question to the OP...what is wrong with having the same beer twice, even if it is not "really, really special? I don't understand this mentality at all...I always have go to beers at the store, and pick up other interesting things I haven't tried....I wouldn't consider Furious really, really special...but it's always in my fridge
    JoEBoBpr and jacksback like this.
  5. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

My name is TMoney2591, and I am a ticker.
  6. I see you haven't been here long, so I am surmising that you might be new to the craft beer world? If so, it is not uncommon to go on a new beer only kick in the beginning. You want to try as many as you possibly can in the beginning. It will wear off to varying degrees as you progress.

Unless of course you are out there chasing whales for the tick, then forgive my above assertion. See this thread: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-ticking-documentary.18690/
    fishtremble likes this.
  7. Hanzo

I've been into craft for a little over two years now, and only recently joined BA.

The main reason I don't have the same beer twice often is because I limit myself to one, maybe two beers a night, so if I do a repeat, that removes a unique from my night. And on the weekend when I drink higher quantities I don't do it so much for the taste but for getting a buzz at a social gathering or what have you. And I do not like trying new beers with a buzz because it alters my interpretation of whatever beer I happen to be trying.
    creepinjeeper and alwaysanswerb like this.
  8. Ticking is a phase that most craft fans go through. Most grow out of it eventually, though there are some diehard uber-tickers out there. The problem I've found is that the new stuff usually isn't as good as the old standbys. Every now and then you find a winner, but you need to kiss an awful lot of frogs to get there. I would almost say that 1/3 of my beer drinking ends up being from the Beers of Fame list. 1/3 is probably locals. And then the final 1/3 is more from the "ticking" category.
    rab53, scoand, liveordie17 and 8 others like this.
  9. Hanzo

Thanks to BA and my smart phone I don't kiss near as many frogs as I used to, so maybe I am a selective ticker.

And I don't know if I am going to grow out of this, when I go in my beer shop and see new stuff I get excited, or when a tweet comes in about something new, I get pumped....I don't see that going away.
  10. It might be a surprise to some, but I'm a ticker. *gasp*
    afrokaze, aasher, johntangus and 2 others like this.
  11. Never felt the need to tick personally.

I understand why people tick though.

What I don't understand is how some BA's pound their chest about how many beers they have ticked. Seems to me that if you're ticking you're ticking for yourself only. If you're ticking to impress others then you're not really ticking for the right reasons are you.
  12. r0nyn

r0nyn Savant (355) New York Aug 1, 2009

I love trying new beers as well, but I definintely won't say no to some old favorites. I usually go with the two-beer-a-night limit, so if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll go with two new brews, but more often than not, it's one new, one old favorite. That way, if the new one is garbage, at least I have a beer that I know is good.

OP, what exactly constitutes "really, really special" in your book?
  13. Hanzo

I have no whales, so to me stuff like Hopslam, Hoptimum, KBS, Zombie Dust etc I'd drink more than one of because they are seasonal/limited release or I can't get them in my area (ZD).
  14. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

Couldn't agree more with your experience. I'm still always up for trying something new, but just trying anything and everything for the sake of trying it (I reviewed briefly, but got bored with it) results in trying a lot of average beers. There are only a handful of breweries for which I have liked more beers than I have been "meh'd" by and there are even some breweries that don't have any beers that I really care for in their entire portfolio. Recently, I've been more inclined to revisit beers that I've enjoyed over the years more so than to try something new (to me) when in the bar or at the store.
  15. Hanzo

Maybe I am not deep enough in, but the only reason I could see to tick mediocre beers would be because you've ran out of good beers to try, which I am really really far from. But the guy in that doc that's up to around 40,000....yeah I can see where he'd have to had drank a lot of crummy beers.
  16. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (330) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

I am half ticker, half local/seasonal guy. Through ticking, I have found a good amount of local and seasonal beers that I always seek out when they hit shelves every year. Typically I don't go through more than a 6'er, but find some beers too good to revisit when they come around each year. I will admit though, if offered the choice between something good and safe and something brand new and interesteresting sounding, I choose new most times.
  17. r0nyn

r0nyn Savant (355) New York Aug 1, 2009

So... hypothetically. If you were at your local and by some miracle you had tried everything available for sale already... would you go for just a regular, non-special beer that you've already had before, or would you just not have any?
  18. Hanzo

Oh if I have no choice but to have an old faithful I certainly will, but if given the choice I will always chose a favorably rated new beer.

But I won't tick for the sake of ticking. If I have to choose between a solid regular and a new "crap" beer, I'll pass on the tick.
  19. You said above you've been at this for 2 years, so no, you're not very deep in. I've been at it for about 15, so I've tried almost everything that has been around for a while... It's impossible to keep up with the onslaught of new breweries in the last couple of years, but most of those tend to be mediocre. A lot of new brewers really underestimate how hard it is to make truly great beer.
  20. Hanzo

And that makes sense, I still have a ways to go before I get through all the good beer, but before I start ticking meh beers just to tick them, I'll go back to the all stars I've ticked in the past.
  21. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I tick. Have for the past 5 years, and probably always will. If it's new, or I haven't had it yet, I want to try it. If I don't like it, then so what? I guess I'll never buy it again.

I'm pretty adventurous with food, too, so I think it all kind of goes together.
    gpawned, Lantern and beertunes like this.
  22. I think that, if I could, I would be close to a ticker. I've always lived in Canada, which means that all liquor (including beer imports) are controlled though provincial licensing and importing boards. That means that very few American beers make it past the boarder without a personal trip down south. Aside from a set of seasonal import beers (10-15) every couple of months it is really unusual for me to be able to walk into a liquor store and see something I haven't had. I keep on top of liquor store imports and seasonal craft beer releases, but that is no where near enough beer for me to be trying something new every night: there simply isn't enough selection. Plus, it's hard to buy many local beers in anything other than sealed 6-packs and mixing and matching is usually frowned upon or not allowed.

That being said, I come from beer-geek-dom from being a huge music fan when I was younger. I was always on top of the new releases and finding the truly classical records for a genera. I liked everything! That being said, and if I could make an analogy, I still have favorite records much like I still have favorite beers. While I really liked finding new music everyday occasionally it's really nice to relax with an album you love and can listen to on repeat for hours. Sometimes I just want to sit down and listen to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a couple of times, much like I might want to drink a 6-pack of an American Pale Ale that I love (St. Ambroise or 1892). I always love trying new beers (as much as my country allows!) but sometimes I gain so much on repeat listenings/tastings - those little subtleties - that I cannot imagine simply trying a beer once and being done with it in the same way that I couldn't imagine just listing to a record only once. (For that matter, I usually buy two or three bottles of beers I haven't had before so I can try them a couple of times to really give them a fair review.)
  23. Ticker right here. Been 21 for less than a year, reviewed somewhere near 140 and tasted probably 200. (don't go back and look at some of the dates on the early ones, I may or may not have been legal)

And I'm not ashamed to admit that thew only things I drink more than once have to be tremendous (KBS, Bigfoot, etc.) or the BMC's cause I'm in college.
    beertunes likes this.
  24. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

I don't tick on BA, I don't review at all, but what I do use is an app on my iPhone just to keep track of things I've had and quickly rate them (to my own tastes, not to style as I would want to do on BA).

Maybe it will interest some of you - http://www.brewgene.com/

It doesn't matter the beer, I just want to keep track and it's nice to have it on my phone. If you are out (liquor store, bars, stealing form someones cellar) and you can't remember if you tried something, check your list real quick.

As some others have mentioned, I also love trying new beers, but always have room for my good ole' standbys.
  25. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Since February 28, 2011, I have "ticked" 784 unique beers.

I am a ticker, or as some people call it, an "alcoholic".
  26. I was more or less a ticker for about two years but the price/time to play the game is too high and frustrating for me now-a-days. I would say the last 6 months or so I have really concentrated on homebrewing and improving my beers so that I can brew something new all the time and enjoy it.

I still buy commercial beer but I really do not go out of my way to get anything special. If there is a release that is relatively local I consider going and if a regular trading partner want to trade I will, but I no longer chase down personal whales. I may start again in the future when I get a few more $$ to play the game with and maybe some more time on my hands to chase down a beer or two, but for now its all homebrewing and enjoying what I can relatively easily obtain instead of wasting my time and energy checking every store every day to see if the beer of the week has landed.
  27. My friends tease me because I have to check into every beer I have on Untappd, but I don't go out of my way for new ticks.

... but 891 beers before turning 22 ain't bad! :p
    Squidly, bryanole27, afrokaze and 8 others like this.
  28. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I guess that I am a ticker but tend to lean towards higher end beers - I don't just tick anything. I have been working my way through things like the top beers in the different styles and/or the beers of fame.

That being said, I have decided to become more well rounded a beer drinker and try some of the bottom of the list beers just so I can remind myself how bad some beer really can be.
  29. When I finally found a taste for craft, I wanted to try everything!

For me now, when it becomes less about the appreciation and more about the tick, I'll find another hobby.
    BillyCannon likes this.
  30. Hanzo

Can't you appreciate beer while ticking? I know I do.
  31. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I do tick off my beers using untappd but I have less than 300 in a year. I will seek out a new beer when I'm at a bar or shopping at a store. But I rarely go after whales just to say I've had them or boast about it. I don't think there is nothing wrong with keeping track of what you've had. If you're spending too much money/time to get something just to say you've had it then that's a frowned upon ticker.
  32. True tickers are not prejudice against mediocrity.
    Kuemmelbrau and beertunes like this.
  33. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Not sure I can take you seriously until I first know how many beers you've ticked. If your number is high enough, then we'll chat further.
  34. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

< Ticker

But I don't do it just to tick it (I don't really care about the number), I do it because I really just want to try new beers.

This is true for me too, except even the local stuff I like to try new beers and there's always new local stuff to try, so aside from the 1/3 on the beers of fame, the other 2/3 is still new beer to me.
    beertunes and Hanzo like this.
  35. Also new to craft, and I guess I would be in the ticking phase (in the sense that I am trying as many new beers as I can to figure out which styles I enjoy, and just learn more about beer). But I have heard the term 'ticker' used in a negative connotation. As in people trying to make their way through the Top100 just to say they did it. But as long as you are enjoying beer, I say enjoy it however you want.
    beertunes likes this.
  36. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Variety is the spice of life...
    Dope, Hanzo and beertunes like this.
  37. I have tasted and reviewed 1472 beers since April 28, 2010... God only knows how many I haven't reviewed. Still have a notebook slam full of notes to type up. Tick tick tick...
    NoSignsOfPain and beertunes like this.
  38. my thoughts exactly

..though i must say, i wasnt much of a fan of Sixpoint's Spice of Life series.
  39. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Happy Ticker here. When I go into the bar or store I always look to see what I haven't had before, and generally go for that first. I rarely drink 2 of the same beer in a row to begin with, so why not try some new things? I started doing reviews just as a way of keeping a list, if the "Hads" feature had been available back when I started reviewing, I would have just done that. Now, I'm just so in the habit of grabbing a chunk of paper and writing down a few notes, that reviews are almost automatic, although I do use the hads feature for small servings. Generally (there have been a couple of exceptions) I'll only review off of a minimum of a 6oz pour, use hads for smaller tastes. Can we get " Tickers On A Search Together" ( TOAST) T-shirts made? Tickers Unite!
  40. I'm down for one in a Medium...