1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Tickers Club

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, May 16, 2012.

1. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I joined this site some time ago, but didn't start actively recording and using it until about... what 18 months? 2 years ago?

And this is of course before I even decided to write everything down I tried, way back in the day for tastings.

I run into this guy at one place I frequent and he's retired and close to 10,000. We both say the same thing, man I wish I started this earlier... :D
    beertunes likes this.
  2. It is actually: " Hi , my name is TMoney2591, and I am a ticker"
  3. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I am/was a ticker. Recently due to some personal stuff I have virtually stopped trying new beer though. Some of it is money, more of it is beginning to reach the phase of preferring the true good beers that I can more readily and cheaply buy (and not trade for), and the majority of it is that I am homebrewing more beer than I can drink anymore, so there's no need to go out ticking like I used to.

700 reviews typed up on BA and likely another 100+ in notes, and likely hundreds of more I didn't bother with ticking for whatever reason. I'm getting ready to settle down for a bit.
  4. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

If someone prints these up, I'm in for a 2XL, in pink please.
  5. Pink would be a necessity...
  6. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (555) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

I don't drink often, but when I do, I prefer to tick.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

It would become my beerfest shirt. It's easy to find the big guy wearing pink, there's generally only one.
    thagr81us likes this.
  8. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

joined uptappd a few months ago & i'm at 86 beers? then again i quite frequently forget to check in. with the recent trades for midwest brews in the fridge, i could be a summer ticker?
  9. I wouldn't think the average BA had any use for a medium sized shirt...
    Ruds, Brew33, Levitation and 4 others like this.
  10. C'mon, now....

Not every BA neglects to polish their shoes (preferably 100% cotton, not a poly blend) or check the oil in their own vehicle.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don't tick, but seeing how many really cool benefits tickers get from adding numbers to their list of numbers I really wish I was a ticker and I could get all those benefits too. I am drinking a Flower Power right now, fucking delicious beer that I've had innumberable times, this beer is really excellent, but thinking about ticking right now I wish I was drinking some new beer I've never heard of so I could enjoy all the cool ticker benefits.
  12. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (555) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

The cool benefit is that it makes your e-penis really big. I'm Asian, so this is about all I've got going for me in that department.
  13. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The thing is, as you have more, your selection dwindles, and you start focusing more on the beers you discovered you really enjoy.

You find out what works, what you do and dont enjoy, which breweries you seek out and ones you stay away from, it all adds up in the end.

I can only say my choices are much more discriminatory now when I grab a six pack knowing I've tried several others and would rather buy "this one". But the flipside is you keep continuing in the hope that you'll find something you really enjoy that you never had before, or even just try a different path to keep yourself entertained.

It is expensive (certainly where I live), and trading isn't cheap sometimes (if not infuriating), but my experience with it, is that you hit a point where your thinking gets a lot more strategic, and you're not breaking the bank as much.

I review beer, that's how I see it, and a drink a lot of other things. I also buy and drink a lot of the same beer often so I don't really subscribe to this notion of total lists and stuff, but they are neat guides..

Big world out there... lumping everyone to just a label doesn't really describe them so easily.
    Duff27 likes this.
  14. I'm not sure where the "ticking" line lies with me. By nature I have a habit of discovering and trying new things. This goes beyond beer and is a trait throughout my life. Regarding beer, I definitely try new stuff more than half the time, but I could never discover a beer I love and never buy it again. And sometimes the selection at a restaurant dictates whether you're able to try something new or not.

Ultimately, I love tasting different takes on styles, experiencing and comparing as many interpretations as possible. I like gaining more knowledge and experience and it's exciting to try new stuff. But I'm also in no rush and I love having a stable of brews I can rely on for any given flavor profile I may be craving. And some days I don't want to take a chance on something that may not hit that craving.

I keed, I keed ;)
  15. Haha!!! I see what you did there. I usually describe myself as the little dude wearing a specific colored shirt when meeting up for in-person trades.
  16. See, what you want to become is an ULTRATICKER.

Sure, you've had Flower Power before (I try to pick up a case once every other month or so myself) but you can still "tick" it.

I mean, you've never had THAT bottle of Flower Power before, right?

Bottled on April 23, 2012. TICK!
    Bottle #1 of 24. TICK!
    Bottle #2 of 24. TICK!
  17. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I wouldn't call myself a "ticker", but I always love trying new beers. However, a lot of my trading is retroactive (i.e. I found a beer I love, and want more of it).

That said, I am accepting offers of any and all Hill Farmstead hoppy offerings for whatever cool shit from Ohio that you want. I'm 3 for 3 with them :D
  19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I used to be a HUGE ticker. I've slowed down quite a bit since 2010. I still pull the trigger on some beers I want to try but that's become more the exception than the rule.
  20. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...great album. But in terms of the beer reference, I'm with ya. Drink what you like, listen to what you dig.
  21. There's drinking good beer, and trying new and worthwhile beers when the opportunity arises (enphasis on worthwhile).

And then there's ticking. Only drinking beers repeatedly on a "special occasion"? Meh. I'd rather mostly buy beers I know are good than chase what might be good.

I get the ticking thing... it's not just what I want in terms of beer. I want to drink and enjoy good beer, not make beer into pokemons.

Spcial/tasting groups, now that's a different gig. Mixing trying new beers and hanging out with other beer geeks, now that's the best way to go.
    jaybags likes this.
  22. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I looked at your reviews and expected just to see Flower Power after that speech....
  23. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Gotta tick em all! Gotta tick em all! (yeah).
  24. That offensive label really ticks me off!!
  25. I am a ticker and I love it. 1540 and counting...
    Duff27 likes this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I give in depth reviews for beer I expect to try again, and to add helpful info to the review database. As opposed to tickers whose reviews generally are like: "this is a really great brown ale really brown in color and it had some nice malt and hop flavors and a pleasant mouthfeel," for beers they never will try again, and even if they wanted to the review they gave wouldn't help them remember the beer, and doesn't give any info. helpful to anyone else either. Or they click a had button, which is about as helpful as a map with no names next to any of the roads.

If I ever make a post that reads, "What beer should I have to celebrate my XXX th review," just shoot me.
  27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I guess if you take tickers in the strictest sense then yeah, I can see where you are coming from. I guess I would be a hybrid ticker. My goal is to try every new beer I can, I assign them a numerical score but don't review them (as I do not yet know how to put into words what I am experiencing). And I'm not afraid to have a beer again if I really loved it. But would I buy a case of said beer and drink it over the course of a week while missing out on my new beers? No.
  28. I wouldn't consider myself a ticker, but I suppose there is a little bit of ticking going on. I love to try new beers but I am not obsessed with trying every beer I see on the shelf, and when I find one I like I revisit it often, in situations where that is possible. I still don't understand this concept that by drinking multiple bottles of the same beer you are cheating yourself out of the opportunity to try something new.
  29. Sure sounds like someone started early :p
  30. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Was wondering when I would see you post in here.
    You better be ready for tomorrow as well.

Cheers!
  31. Keep a spreadsheet of my new ticks, but if I find a beer I love I will almost always choose that over a new beer given the choice. I have always liked trying new things so it's just a great way for me to look back on past beers and remember what I thought about it to see if I want to buy a sixer or even a whole case in the future.
  32. Hey man, I started when I was legally allowed to! for the most part :p
  33. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

I like to try beers I haven't tried before. And I like to drink pleasurable beers over, and over, and over, and over again.
  34. I dO this. I had no idea it was called ticking, I just like to keep track of what I've had.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  35. I guess I was a bit of a ticker when I started out. That didn't really last too long tho. I normally know what i'm in the mood for and know what i'm going to pick up when i'm buying some beer. I pick up new beers when I know i've heard good things about them from others, or they got a decent amount of good reviews online. I pretty much gave up reviewing beers as there are way to many i've had and it takes up way to much time. I do however like the new grading system where I can just log on and give a quick grade on a beer without having to type out everything I enjoyed and didn't enjoy about a beer.

I guess after a while i just decided its better too just go with stuff I know I like rather than keep chancing it on random beers i've never seen/heard of.
  36. Hah sure sure ;)
  37. suspect

suspect Savant (400) New York Apr 12, 2010

I'm a ticker. I enjoy reviewing beers because I enjoy going back and reading whether or not I liked or what kind of smells it had or what the particular flavors were prominent. I also find it personally helpful comparing beers of different vintages.
    Brewsaic likes this.
  38. 2063 and counting.
  39. Brewsaic

Brewsaic Disciple (65) Mar 15, 2012

I am just assuming by "ticking" you are referring to untapp'd (or other things like it...if there are any) and if not I'm missing something that I need to find out about!

If it is untapp'd then I am a middle-of-the-road "ticker." I looooove untapping beers but I also don't lose sleep if I am unable to untap or just forget or things of that nature.

I do need to work on taking tasting notes when I try new unique beers though. I have a beer blog and I get too caught up often in how good the beer is and/or in just the excitement of trying certain new beers. I'm getting better but it's hard sometimes to focus on anything but the beer in my hand :p

CHEERS!!:D
    www.brewsaic.com
  40. Brewsaic

Brewsaic Disciple (65) Mar 15, 2012

Really? Did you have the Citra??