1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Tickers Club

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, May 16, 2012.

1. ^no actually i had the Amarillo and Chinook. Didnt even realize there was a Citra. But I can't really complain too much.This was part of a box I received because of some bad Autumnation. ;)
  2. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

This is exactly the kind of ticker I am. I'm just really curios to try as many different beers and styles as I can. When I focus on a style, I want to try as many of that style as I can - I can only drink so much so I'll only duplicate with beers that I absolutely love. I'll only get a n-pk of a beer I truly love.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm glad there are others like me. I mean the only thing I feel bad about is if I like a beer and I don't buy it in quantity I feel as though I am not supporting the brewery. BUT if I like a beer from someone, that makes me want to try their other beers and buy them to throw in as extras on trades. So in a way, they are still getting my business.
  4. bhir

The way I look at this is that if I happen to try a beer and love it, I'm going to spread the word to people who usually end up buying a lot more than I ever would. If I'm not ticking, that usually isn't going to happen (I have some friends with tourettes - the nomenclature is starting to sound wierd).

It reminds me of the book "The Tipping Point". Every beer drinking group needs a "ticker" that is going to be the one who finds out about different beers and report back on what is good. There is then one or two others who validate my opinion for the rest. Next thing you know, a shit-ton of money is spent on that beer (and other offerings from that brewery) going forward.
    Hanzo likes this.
  5. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

We should have Tickers Anonymous meetings. Make sure to bring a new beer!
  6. Hanzo

At a meeting like that wouldn't you actually have to bring all the same beer and drink it over and over again to try to "fix" us like in AA?
    beertunes likes this.
  7. MaxSpang

Who says we need fixing? Bring on the new brews!
  8. Hanzo

If we didn't need fixing we wouldn't be at an anonymous meeting...
  9. MaxSpang

I... but.... Oh, nevermind.

Let's just have a tasting.
  10. Hanzo

Tickers Tasting...now I'm on board ;)
    MaxSpang likes this.
  11. bhir

It's been 19 days since I've consumed a duplicate.
  12. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Hell of an idea.

And I guess you can say I am a ticker. Although most of my reviews are over 4oz. So do I still count?

Cheers!
  13. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Which documentary do you speak of?
  14. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

doing this is fun for a while but once you realize that you're buying beers just bc you want to tick them as opposed to buying beers you ACTUALLY want to drink it gets old. i'm constantly running into this situation and recently i've been going for beers i know i enjoy as opposed to getting a random brown ale or witbier just for the sake of "ticking" something new.
  15. Hanzo

16. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I'm a "responsible ticker." I only rate if I have had a full bottle/pour with four exceptions:

1) I'm drinking draft-only beer at a place that I won't be able to visit again and I have a minimum of 4 oz.

2) I'm drinking several variants of the same beer (Oil of Aphrodite and Dark Apparition mainly) again with a minimum of 4 oz.

3) I'm drinking at Jackie O's (again 4 oz. minimum). I eventually want to tick all of their beers, but if I only ticked full pours, it would never happen since they have tons of new beers each release. Also, the infinite bottles brought for bottle sharing doesn't help either.

4) I'm drinking something rare that I'll likely never have again. No minimum oz. requirement, but I still have to be able to make a decent review.
    beertunes likes this.
  17. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

One of the main reasons I tick beers is so I will know how much I like them. There are plenty of beers that I absolutely love, but don't have super high overall ratings. These gems make all the duds worth it. Sure, you probably aren't going to love some beer with a 2.54 overall rating, but you might love one with a 3.45.
  18. BigPlay1824

BigPlay1824 Savant (390) New York Oct 13, 2010

generally, if i havent had it, itll make its way into the cart if it looks interesting or its something ive heard of on the forums. there are only a few beers that ill buy repeatedly, SNPA, torpedo cans, anything ommegang, and ithaca flower power pretty much rounds out the list
  19. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

By the nature of the craft beer business, we all do some extent of ticking. I still enjoy trying a breweries take on a style. And if they haven't brewed it before, that means I haven't tried it. There are also still many beers that I have known about for quite some time and haven't had yet. So given the chance, I love the opportunity to try them.

But I still buy many repeat beers in multiple can/bottle formats. There's something really exciting about drinking a beer you already know is great too. Being a BA can't always be about the chase.

Maybe those of us who aren't solely tickers are just showing how old we are? :(
  20. a true Babe in the woods, craft beer for 2 years you say?
  21. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I guess I'm a ticker, to an extent. I have easy access to high quality beer locally but I still have the urge to trade for noted breweries yearly/seasonal beers (Surly, Cigar City, Central Waters, New Glarus). Once I try them once, I doubt I'll revisit them. I still get a lot of seasonal beers every year (JP Biere De Mars, Founders Breakfast Stout, Hopslam, ect).
  22. Hanzo

I confirmed my status as a ticker by taking a notebook to mark the new beers I had at the beer festival I went to yesterday.

Tickers gonna tick.
    Zaphog and beertunes like this.
  23. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I have to weigh the pros and cons of trying new or having tried and true. I love trying as many new beers as I can, but right now my fridge is a Sculpin bomber, a sixer of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (these go on sale) and a sixer of Anchor Porter. Nothing new this week. :)
  24. James, we both know you are a ticker...
    FosterJM likes this.
  25. I feel like its dependent upon the type of person, rather than age. Earlier today I watched the ticking documentary that someone posted on the forums. The 'champ' was definitely 75+
    That being said, I agree that BA can't always be the chase. I always enjoy trying something I've never had before (however, this applies more than just beer for me..for example food), but appreciating good beer is about drinking and enjoying it in the style which is best for you. I love trying as many new beers as possible, but ain't nothing wrong at all with drinking stuff you know you will enjoy!

*Edit, I should say that I definitely have a quite a few beers that I will always drink, no matter how many times I've had them before
  26. I am a ticker and have been for quite a long time. In college I was already into trying every beer I could find when I had to pick a university to study abroad at as part of my international business degree. I chose to study in Maastricht, The Netherlands, right on the Belgian and German borders. I took a notebook to keep track of place I visited, people I met, etc. I started working backwards from the last page of the notebook to track beers. And a ticker was born!

That was in 1994! Currently I sit at 17567 and climbing quickly. A lot of BAs have said that ticking is something most people do early in their love of good beer and that they will get out of it eventually. This obviously hasn't applied to me!

Keep on ticking!
    beertunes, suspect, ehammond1 and 2 others like this.
  27. I always have my go-to beers available, but I definitely try 2-3 new beers each weekend.
    bushycook likes this.
  28. That's a good idea. And here I was, scribbling away about my new beers on the backs of store receipts and ATM statements.
  29. Brewsaic

Brewsaic Disciple (65) Mar 15, 2012

ahhh yeahhh thats awesome lol... and yeah I had the citra at Maloney's Pub in Matawan NJ (REALLY great beer bar) and it was pretty darn good I thought.
  30. I just use my phone. I have a 'have had' document in my phone notes. I list the beer, rate out of 5, and give a few lines of description for me to remember. If I'm drinking from something I've bought in a store (as opposed to a bar) I will take a picture of the bottle next to the beer in a glass. Nice way for me to remember
  31. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

I try a new beer or 2 almost every single day. I am currently on a Tripel kick, and I am up to almost 40 unique Tripels. Also having a mix of Dubbels/BSPA etc in there as well, along with a majority of the styles outlined here(had a kristalweizen today actually). I always have a craving for a new Tripel often. I need to brew one for sure.
  32. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Who are you and what have you done w/ nickd717?
  33. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

I turned 21 in January and I'm super new to the craft beer world so at this point, I'd call it more "catching up" than ticking. There are so many great beers out there that I only have something a second time when it's truly amazing.
  34. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

Speaking of ticking, I have a picture of almost every single beer I have ever formally reviewed. I need to go through and edit my album for completeness; but I pretty much have every picture, its just in the deep reaches of my hard drive somewhere lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspak/
  35. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (780) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

Since I started reviewing early last year I've become quite a big ticker. I often mix a pack of stuff I haven't tried and buy one of my favorites along with it.
  36. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

I'm either a ticker or an eclectic alcoholic with a 28 bomber a month habit... I also cellar though so I drink one now and save the other for about a year. Fresh is nice with some styles but there are some beers that just need time to mellow out a little or develop.
  37. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

I like trying new beers, to be sure, but it's not like my tongue has to be fucking christened with virgin beers to my palate every evening. In other words, if she's worth it, I like to give my one night stands a call back the next day, see if I can get more of that sweet sugah!
  38. Hanzo

It's good to see this thread isn't dead and my fellow tickers are chiming in. Recently broke 400 unique beers, would have celebrated #400 with a special brew but I forgot I had written down some that I had forgotten to log so I passed it on accident.
  39. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Im not really a ticker. I've reviewed less than 10 beers but have tried probably over 400. I wonder if there is a club for people like me?
  40. Hanzo

Did you notate the 400 beers you've tried? If so you are a ticker. Tickers don't do in depth reviews of the beers they try, they just try them, write them down and maybe give them a basic 1-5 rating.