1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Tickers Club

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, May 16, 2012.

1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I've recently been trying to go back and click "Had" on all the ones I've tried but I've only gotten about 85 done. So maybe I can join the club after all!

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Oh that certainly counts.

Welcome!

3. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

My local beer joint has a loyalty club, you get a point for each different beer you drink. So just at this place I am at 415 over the past year. Does not include ticks from other places i have been or from home. So i guess im doing ok.

4. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I guess I'm a ticker, but my count increases slowly because I do purchase my regulars just as often as new beer.

I don't have any rules as far as oz go. If it has graced my lips, it counts.

5. Hanzo

That place sounds amazing. Tickers paradise!

6. I'd need a small, and not because I'm super short lol. Just gotta prioritize those calories. A buddy of mine went up 2 shirt sizes solely from Natty Ice...

7. BigGene

World Of Beer is the place, normally 40-50 taps and upwards of 500 bottles pretty big chain of franchises blowing up these days.

Arlington in getting on in July
    http://arlingtonva.wobusa.com/

8. I always called myself a 'passive ticker' - I would always try something new as long as it was reasonably easy to get.

Nowadays, I have fallen back to the classics. Ticking loses the luster when you realise that many breweries put out sub-par beer in large format, pricey bottles.

paulys55 and cosmicevan like this.
  9. Hanzo

3hr 38min away :-(

Which is why I am selective ticker....I won't try anything below an 80 on BA.

10. BigGene

11. Very nice. This makes me want to sign up for an online photo site. I just have all my pics sitting on my phone. The problem with that (using iPhone) is that I can't label the pictures. So if I have a drink at a bar I won't always have the bottle in the picture to reference what it actually is lol

12. Hanzo

13. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I'm probably technically a ticker. But I do it so I know what I'm talking about with regard to beer as much as possible. I now know, for example, that BA DL with Vanilla isn't just hype, it's absolutely killer.

14. Ticking has been commonplace amongst the real ale fraternity in the UK for many many years, it started to get bigger in the late 80's

Take a look at this UK based website if you have the time/inclanation

http://www.scoopergen.co.uk/Main_Page_again.htm

They refer to it on here as 'scooping' which is pretty much the same as ticking, lots of features along the bottom to look at such as a guide to scooping and a list of scoopers (tickers) where they are from in the UK with pictures etc.

Quite a few odd charectars on here I'm sure you'll note!

People on that site tend to drink UK cask beer only, although some dabble in overseas beer

Me - Never confined myself to UK cask only and I've gone through ticking periods over the years but usually get bored after a while, although I have been listing beers fairly solidily since the end of last year

All told I should imagine I've broken through the 10,000 barrier but can't be sure

My own personal minimum level to say I've had a beer is 1/3rd of a UK pint or approx 6oz

A lot of the UK cask only tickers go for 1/2 a UK pint (10oz) as a minimum level, some insist on a full pint only to tick a beer (20oz) !

15. jaybags

jaybags Savant (255) Michigan Mar 16, 2012

i find this interesting. sure i want to try as many beers as possible, but i love having some founders reds rye and centennial ipa in my fridge at all times. and when nugget nectar is in i always have at least a six pack in my fridge.

i know i am going to get shit for this, but if you are a ticker and never drink the same beer, i wonder how much you truly enjoy beer? it seems to me you view beer as more of a hobby.

16. Serious tickers do exactly that

You can still tick beers and re-visit favourites, that's my approach, like I say I go through periods

Sometimes I'll have 3 or 4 new beers in a bar (1/2 pint 10oz servings) and whilst they are not bad beers, won't be overly impressed by any.

At that point I usually revert to an old favourite.

Sometimes the 'new' beer I'd never heard of is excellent - I may then have a full pint of it.

Often I hone in on certain breweries that I know won't let me down and excel in certain styles.

I too have a Founders reds rye in my fridge - you make up your own rules/enjoyment in this game of beer!

17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I could never be a ticker, not because of principles or anything, but because I'm usually too lazy to even click the "Had it" when I have a new beer.

18. Like I once heard in a Kubrick film, inside every BA there is a ticker trying to get out.

19. Can't speak for everybody, but I definitely have beers that I always buy and keep in my fridge. Just because I really enjoy trying new beer doesn't mean I won't drink something I've had before.

Also, if someone only were to try new beers how would that person not be enjoying beer. I would argue that they enjoy beer more then someone who only drinks the same beers night in and night out. They have experienced more of the world of beer by trying different brews. How can you do something like that and not truly appreciate, enjoy and respect beer?

20. jaybags

i understand what you are saying. but i dont understand how you could drink that many differnt beers and not come across one and be like "this is phucking great beer, i have to have another." i like trying out different beers so i know what i want to buy in 6 pack and case form.

also, do tickers not have a favorite style of beer? have they only have their favorite beer once? that doesnt make sense to me. i dont understand how you could really enjoy beer and not have a favorite style or individual beer?

21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I don't consider myself a ticker (according to Hanzo's definition anyway), but I'm coming up on a full year of reviewing every new beer I try and as of last night I'm @ 412. I look at it this way. There are times when you're in the mood for something new and different, something you've never had before. Just like when you try a new restaurant or cuisine you've never had. And there are other times when you just want to have a good old reliable beer—your "comfort food" beer. Fried chicken and waffles in your underwear with the game on. You don't want to think about it, you just want to relax and enjoy it.

There's a time and a place for both modes, neither is better than the other. If I was always just ticking new beers without ever revisiting my favorites, I'd burn out and everything would start to blur together. I think I'd also lose sight of what's good and what's not. And if I only drank the same handful of beers without ever trying something new once in a while, I'd get bored. I do a little of both (OK, a lot of both). I review every new beer, so I have a detailed record of what I liked and didn't about every beer I try. And sometimes I just crack something I know I'm going to love and enjoy it thoroughly.

Cheers!

22. Well this is under the assumption that you were to only try a beer once.
    Once again, can't speak for everyone, but I enjoy trying as many new beers as possible. If I come across something that I love, I will mark it to buy again. And as i previously mentioned, there are always beers that I make sure to keep stocked. For example, now that it's summer I ALWAYS have weihnestephaber hefe.

I also understand what your saying about 'enjoying' beer if someone tries so many. But, if they drink something that they really enjoy how are they not enjoying beer? Perhaps they don't enjoy A beer, but if they like trying new beers wouldn't that be enjoying beer?

23. At this stage in my drinking career I will often take a sure thing over something new.

24. jaybags

i guess this has broken down to a semantic argument of the word enjoy.

it just seems like a ticker is not going to ever know if they are going to enjoy their beer before they drink it because they have never had it before. i certainly like trying as many new beers as possible, but when i go into my fridge tonight and pull out a reds rye, i know i am going to enjoy it.

25. As touched on I like a bit of ticking but agree - if I come across something I like I will go again (and again!)

I was at a beer festival around 2 years ago and they had a cask of Brew Dog 5am saint

This was the first beer I had that evening

I enjoyed the first pint (at a UK beer fest servings are usually 10oz or 20oz half pint / pint pours) so much I stayed on it until the barrel ran out so a good 5 pints of it, then I went on a little ticking mission around the venue!

26. And there's nothing wrong with that. Some people like grabbing a sure thing, others enjoy trying the unknown. That is the great thing about beer, to each their own

Cheers

27. jaybags

^exactly.

happy drinking

28. Hanzo

A true hardcore ticker wouldn't revisit beers. I'm not that hardcore, I've had some favorites more that once. What makes me a ticker is if given the choice between a new unknown brew and an old favorite, I'd take the new brew.

29. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i guess so, but do this for a few years about 1500 times and you might want something you know you love instead of another sub-par ipa from a brewery you've never heard of. i'm all for trying new beers when i have the opportunity, but i've been going back to favorites more often than not lately.

30. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

I do like trying new beers and every time I have a new one I try to review it. With that said I have beers that I enjoy consistently and I buy them in bulk and sometimes at beer bars. There is nothing wrong with "ticking" IMO just as there is nothing wrong in drinking what you like.

31. I'm new and I tick. I have some faves I will go back to, but I enjoy trying new things. As with all styles some brands are better than others. I won't know what I like if I don't try several.

32. Just occured to me...perhaps the beer fests should rename themselves as ticker fests, as all they give out are a few ounces.

33. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

935 reviews as of this post. also have several notebooks full and voice recordings full of ticks that need to be transcribed and input into this site. last year i caught things up over july 4th and would love to do it again this year (my guess is that i have north of 100 ticks in the backlog to add). i have gotten better and will only tick hard to come by's at festivals/releases or when out in the wild...but i am the guy with the notebook at a tasting. i've learned that phone voice recording is a great 1 to 2 minute way to capture your thoughts on a brew when out in the wild...but if you get caught doing it you will get funny looks and smirks, but hey...a ticker's gotta tick!

cheers to the tickers! at least we open our beers instead of just blindly hoarding and collecting...

34. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

i've been working hard running 5 miles a day and i'll take a medium...but yes...i agree, the average BA will probably be looking for something with an X in it.

35. A historical and factual point on ticking and beer festivals

As far as I'm aware ticking began in the UK in the 70's and grew in popularity during the 80's

Beer festivals in the UK are very different from the majority of those in the US

No 1oz/2oz measures, lining up etc

All beer festivals over here allow you to purchase 1 (imperial) pint or half pint at a time of any given beer so 20oz and 10oz servings

Very occasionally a strong beer (ie 9% ABV+) may be limited to a half pint serving

Some beer festivals (but the minority) also have one third pint servings (6.6oz)

So while you could still call them ticking fests the smallest serving you normally get is 10oz which is enough for me to judge the qualities of a beer

36. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Interesting, a lot of tickers probably started as a medium but ticked their way into a Large or XL haha

thagr81us likes this.
  37. I prefer the converse of that statement.

38. I like to try and review as many beers as possible but I still regularly buy some of my favorites. I've been to tastings were dudes have passed on amazing beers because they've had them once before. That just seems crazy to me.

39. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

That is just sad. :( Doesn't seem to meet the definition of a BA to me. Bypassing good beer at a tasting because you've had it once before is not a good direction to see. At the bottle shop, I can see the justification. I doubt most anyone who considers themselves a ticker would refuse to taste a beer twice.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy beer as they see fit. I'm happy to see that more and more are joining in the enjoyment. In my opinion that level of refusal is the opposite of enjoyment and kind of snubbing the art of brewing.

40. Yeah, I really don't understand that mentality. Sure, I've passed on samples before but usually when I'm at an event or release and just want to try what's on draft. I was once at a tasting where another guy and I practically drank and entire 2001 Lou Pepe Kriek and a 2005 Lou Pepe Framboise ourselves because everyone else had a small sample and wanted to tick a bunch of new beers from Montreal.