1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Trip XIV (Fresh Hop Imerial IPA)

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Ispeakforthetrees, Oct 27, 2012.

1. New Belgium seems to get a lot of "meh-it's okay" responses on BA, and I rarely see opinions of Colorado specifically BA's really loving the beer they produce but they try it all the same.
    I picked up two bombers of this from Wilbur's last night and shared with my friend from Denver.
    Only had 2 reviews of this. We cracked them and had them out of some New Belgium Globes and I found it to be among other things, a bit overbearing and a bit difficult to finish. Not in alcohol or unpleasant taste, just overpowering in flavor and smell in comparison to other hopbombs I've had.
    Anyone else had this? I believe I've only had two beers in the Trip Series, so I'm not sure how this compares to other small-batch releases.
    Hopefully there is some love out there for the brewery leading the way in sustainable business practices, which is why I continue to buy what they produce if I can't find something that blows my socks off.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I used to bash new belgium every chance I had. I have felt that their regular lineup was lackluster. However sunshine wheat was the beer I credit with turning me toward craft a long time ago and fat tire was the first beer I had after a seven year hiatus from beer. Now that I have had their regulars, and a good sample of the LoF series I am publicly retracting prior NB bashing rants. Their beers may not blow me away, however everything I have tried from them recently has been at least good, drinkable, and enjoyable. I can't seem to be able to get enough cocoa mole or peach porchs lounger. No, their regular lineup doesn't impress me these days, but I blame that on my palate more than their beer, I don't enjoy many regular offerings from many bewers. I am suprised that one of their specialty beers was undrinkable though. I have never experienced a beer from NB that is undrinkable.

3. It wasn't exactly undrinkable, just too much (which I'm surprised I'm saying as I love hops and shit tons of them).
    NB has had a lot of variety in their brew lineup and I think it's important to recognize how adventuresome they truly are. People also tend to look aside their regular lineup having some special gems in comparison to other breweries. Their Abby and Trippell are extremely tasty for the price and are good representations of their styles.

4. I almost entirely agree with your assessment. The regular lineup really doesn't do it for me, but that is probably because some of their regular beers are sessionable and underwhelming in flavor (two things I don't usually go for in beer). I do very much enjoy Hoptober as a sessionable fall release. Their success as a brewery is undeniable, so they must appeal to a very wide audience. Some would call Fat Tire/Shift gateway craft. On the other hand, The Lips of Faith Series and other limited release beers are hit or miss with me. I think Cocoa Mole is the best beer in it's genre, La Folie and Tart Lychee are very good wilds, and the Super IPA Alpine collab was excellent. However, "Brett Beer" was perhaps the most disappointed in a beer I have ever been. I don't grab every beer they come out with like I do with a select few breweries, but I also don't turn my nose up at them either. They fall somewhere in the middle with me, but the prices are pretty good and I like their sustainability/charity attitude so I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  5. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

I agree with the above perspective.

6. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

They definitely have some beers that I enjoy. La Folie, Cocoa Mole, Super IPA, Dig, Tart Lychee...but overall, just not too into these guys.

That said, excited to try their most recent LoF offering, the Coffee & Chocolate Imperial Stout.

7. The trip 14 to me was good in bottle and on tap, I have found News Belgium to be very consistent on quality

8. I'm with noleafclover, Brett was an absolute mess.
    I went to hang with an old boss of mine who I'm proud to say I did convert to craft beers from drinking martini's and wine...but then he pulled that disaster piece out.
    We didn't pour it, but the ball was definitely missed on that one.

Living in Ft.Collins, I'm more excited at the prospect of their new 10-barrell small batch system.
    I can only hope they surprise me.

9. SFACRKnight

Forgot toinclude my love of somersault. Best summer brew I had this year.

10. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (310) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

I picked up a bomber of the Coffee and Chocolate yesterday. Can't wait to try it later today. I also seen they did a collaboration with Brewery Vivant.

11. denver10

Please report back an let me know how it is.

12. SFACRKnight

So is the coffee and chocolate stout seeing distro already or was this at the brewery?

13. denver10

At least in Fort Collins, its already being distributed to stores.

14. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

New Belgium went through a weird period where they didn't seem to know what they wanted to be, but I've been pretty happy with them lately. The Lips of Faith beers have been pretty solid & the taproom exclusives have, too.
    While Sunshine hasn't really been all that great since they filtered it, I still have a soft spot for Fat Tire. I think we're all burned out on it, but it's probably the maltiest flagship beer in the whole country. I've always appreciated that. Abbey, Tripel, and 1554 aren't too bad either.
    For me, the areas where they really don't work are their hoppy items. Their fresh hop beer would be an exception, but I haven't really cared for anything else hop-centric they've made to date. Be that a pale, IPA, Belgian Pale, Belgian IPA, Super IPA, or anything in-between. Hoptober might be a semi-exception, too...but I have no clue what it's trying to be. It's pretty good, though.

15. chicano4craft

Got it yesterday in Ft. Collins at Super Market Liquors.

16. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Let me know how it is. I'm interested to see how it turned out.

17. chicano4craft

Just come over and split the bottle...

18. @Domingo-I'm totally with you on not knowing wtf Hoptober is.
    It's hard to fit into a class.

19. chicano4craft

So I'm drinking this beer and it's pretty solid. Good mouthfeel, creamy from the chocolate addition. But this beer is all about the coffee. It's big in the nose and taste. But the roasted coffee beans have a slight nuttiness to them. I figured I'd open a Founders Breakfast Stout and do a side by side. Coffee smell is bigger in the NB. Mouthfeel is similar but the Founders is much sweeter. One thing about the coffee in the NB is it's somewhat inconsistent. Not sure if that makes sense...the aroma seems to change from sip to sip. I dig both these beers. As a coffee lover I'd buy NB again. Anyway, my two cents. Cheers.

denver10 and coreymcafee like this.
  20. denver10

A
    As a fellow coffee lover sounds like I must try this. Thanks for the update.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  21. SFACRKnight

So is this hitting denver yet? I haven't crawled out of my cave long enough to hit a store and see. I already fear another version of the super IPA fiasco though.

22. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

I understand the sentiment because Sunshine Wheat & Fat Tire are their two top sellers and none of us would call them their best beers by a long shot.

But I actually like the rest of the lineup, their Abbey is one of the best! Belgo IPA I really like along with La Folie (ok so not as good as older C&C, so what, I still like it). Peach Porch Lounger was solid and Super IPA w/ Alpine was phenomenal, along with their classic Ranger IPA. Le Terroir might have been one of my top 5 at Avery Sourfest, great sour beer. I agree they've had some misses, but def. a good brewery for most.

This is part of our Colorado problem, so many good breweries and they all have strong competition, that even above average beers get looked over.

23. denver10

Trying this myself now and I definitely notice that nuttiness you referred to as well. Overall, decent beer but can't say it lived up to my expectations.

chicano4craft likes this.