1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The verdict on KBS Day?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mscarpen, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (335) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

Having drivin in from Wisconsin, arrived at 5:45 and scored ticket 546, I consider my 7-1/2 hour journey in the cold, windy Grand Rapids Winter to have been a success. That being said, I was VERY lucky and I feel for the first 300 people who invested even more time and ended up with less beer (half of the original full case) than originally promised.

What are your thoughts on what worked / failed? What could be leveraged as best in class for the next even bigger release? What are ideas for fixing the problems you experienced? More toilets? More garbage cans? Earlier ticket distribution?

2. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I drove for 3hrs from IL, got there at about 4:45am and counted around 400 in front of me. At that point my BA buddy and I decided we had no chance at a case and went home having been at Founder's a total of about 20 minutes. Considered sticking around to share all the bottles we brought and hope they dropped the allotment, but decided it wouldn't be worth sitting 6hrs in the cold for.

Improvements: In my mind I think they should get rid of the tents. It seemed like 100 or so people decided they could close the bar down and sleep it off comfortably in a tent while holding their place. Not a fan. I feel like if you want to hold a spot you should have to sit out there. I'd also say they should look into selling tickets DLD style...at least then I would know if I could buy the beer from the comfort of my home 3hrs away.

Also, I think the "Whoaaaaaaa we had no idea this many people would show up" claim is weak and a bit played out. You had a ton of people there last year and craft beer has exploded since then...what did you think would happen. /rant

On the plus side I saw a ton of people having a good time sharing beers and weathering the cold, which is what almost made me stick around, but I figured DLD would be a bit warmer. Cheers to the leather asses!

3. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

If they started selling tickets next year I'd be headed to my first KBS release. After seeing the turn out at CBS for a 2 bottle limit I had an inkling that KBS was going to be rough this year. It turned out to be worse than I could have imagined from the sound of it. I'd gladly shell out $20 bucks to know for a fact I'm getting a case of beer.

4. Thanks. Just had that installed. Sprang for the anti-chap option

5. stxSS07

Yeah that would be the only way I went back. I had an idea gnawing at me that it might be a sh#tshow after I saw someone posting pictures of tents just after midnight...should have listened to my gut and saved 6hrs and $70 in gas.

6. stxSS07

Pre-Lubed with Bodyglide I'd assume?

7. Lean forward and get a snootful of that fresh leather...mmmm

elephantrider likes this.
  8. stxSS07

I was just considering the ample amount of diaper rash that might occur after sitting in a chair for 6hrs drinking beers butahhhhhhhhh....

9. edraz1224

edraz1224 Aficionado (150) Indiana May 26, 2008

Read the Founders release statement and voice your opinions there. I for one will definitely urge them to go to a ticket system. This eliminates most of the concerns with tents, line cutting, etc. Founders has asked for opinions from those who attended and I think we should let them know that we think.

stxSS07 likes this.
  10. I was disappointed, to be honest. I was at CBS, around #600, and thought I'd be fine getting to Founders at 7:00. Man was I wrong. I don't blame Founders at all, though I wish they'd made the half-case call earlier, I probably would have stuck around. I guess that's an indictment of my dedication, but I didn't have too much of an interest in waiting for 4-5 hours for the taproom. No one on BA had any idea it was going to blow up like this, I just wish I'd gotten there earlier.

I like the Pre-ticket idea, though I like the idea of handing out numbers early even better. I'd appreciate to know if i've even got a shot when I get in line. Regardless, I don't begrudge founders the day at all, they sold their amount and got as many people beer as they could.

Cheers to those who got their allocation!

11. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I posted my experience in the Founders statement thread. But the skinny is, I am done with any and all Founders products and collabs. Henceforth it is poisoned, as far as I'm concerned.

12. stxSS07

You've been pretty salty today amigo.

antoines15 likes this.
  13. This is good, I hope they pissed off the majority of you for half-ing it. Never buy this beer again please, maybe it will go back to normal.

Brohamid you have been salty from the start. Even before the half-ing announcement. I'm sure you would have loved to sell individual bottles on eBay for $20 to some poor sap but now you can't. So sorry

antoines15 and Duffman929 like this.
  14. Please go away.

mishuggah, kundog18, JohnB87 and 7 others like this.
  15. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I poured a 2011 KBS tonight in solidarity with the guys who couldn't get any. Thought it tasted like stale coffee. So much fuss...

16. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

[​IMG]

antoines15, Tony412, Orchids and 5 others like this.
  17. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Who ARE you? Kony? Is that you?

18. SpdKilz

19. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

20. It's unfortunate that there wasn't enough to go around, but this is how things are now. I got in line at midnight and wound up with ticket #108. Based on the info released by Founders: slightly more than 250 cases; max one case per person; first come, first served.

It was slightly better last year from what I've heard, but still more than half of the people that showed up left without any bottles of KBS. To think that you had a guaranteed case of KBS by showing up today before the doors opened was, at best, foolish. 'First come, first served' releases are always a gamble and in such situations you should plan to have a good time mingling, sharing bottles, and hopefully leaving with beer.

Founders did the best they could, and I really give them credit for making the tough decisions: given that they only had 315 cases to sell that day - the rest already sold to distributors - they cut the max allotment in half to make twice as many happy customers. Sure, I would've been happier leaving with the full case as promised after driving three hours and waiting in line for 11 more, but I'm happy with what I left with and was glad to meet tons of cool BA's, see friends I don't often get to see, and drink some really great beers.

What did I not like about the event? The complete 'amateur night' behavior of so many of the attendees. I was nearly puked on multiple times, somebody puked on and then passed out against our car, and a man (almost assuredly) broke his nose against the pavement in front of me stumbling over himself. And to put this in perspective; I left before noon - this was all morning antics. It was completely irresponsible drinking on a scale that I've never seen at a beer release. Nobody can drink for hours on end with no food, no sleep, and no water; this isn't rocket science.

cmsimeur, Khazadum, lisomiso and 8 others like this.
  21. stxSS07

I see what you're saying, but going from 9am is safe for a case to pre-5am doesn't get you anything in a year's time is going to solicit a bit of bitching. I realize now that if I wanted KBS I should have lined up at 12am with you, but I was in no way prepared to close down the bar and then hang out all night.

After showing up at 4:45am I was prepared to do exactly that - mingle, share bottles, and have a good time. After counting 400 people in front of me with a (personal) estimated max of 300 cases at 5am I decided there was no reason to engage in such activity and turned tail back to IL. Salty? Only slightly...like I've said all day I kind of admire the people who had the resolve to Black Friday KBS day. 4:30am was about as extreme as I was prepared to go.

22. Duffman929

23. SpdKilz

24. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

I didn't see anyone puke or pass out, but yeah I've never seen so many obnoxious drunk people so early. One guy roughly smoked 4 or 5 cigars right by the brewpub entrance where we were waiting in line for at 6:30am. I was surprised not to see any cops just patrolling around, at-least where we were located.

25. Duffman929

Did you not get any? I got you 1 if you didn't.

26. SpdKilz

I actually did not...how did you? You're still in Japan no? I would love a single bottle if that isn't too much trouble. You know I got your back on other fun stuff :D

27. Duffman929

Well, at least this didn't happen at KBS:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...unahpus-today-at-the-release.4545/#post-49292

Ha. Just like you're in IL how do you get CA stuff? :) I still have to talk with the few people I know that went, but as long as they got in, I will have one for you, no problem.

28. SpdKilz

Kick ass man. Appreciate it!!! And touche :D

29. All Founders promised was 250 cases, and they even undersold that. These notions of what is a reasonable time to queue up for beer are baseless, and this is meant as a commentary on 'special beer release events' on the whole. There's this weird notion of entitlement that really needs to get shaken off by a lot of beer geeks.

This annual event is meant as a nice gesture to make sure that dedicated Founders fans have the opportunity of getting KBS. If the system they have in place isn't working, then they may as well get rid of it and put those extra cases in distribution in MI.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Founders gave up on having this event.

30. stxSS07

Hope I didn't come off too angry, as you left out the positive part of my post, but I don't know where 250 cases came from. People can confirm that they got a full case in the 270s last year and Mark posted on Friday that the yield was larger (albeit slightly) this year so I estimated it at around 300 cases...which was confirmed at 315 by their statement. http://www.foundersbrewing.com/blog/beer-releases/kbs-release-party

Going off of reports from last year along with the videos posted by Founders on the KBS page http://www.foundersbrewing.com/?event=kbs-release, I figured pre-5am was perfectly fine. It seems like you took my "I should have lined up with you" as an attack, but in reality I was trying to convey that I really should have lined up with you. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit of a sting realizing that I wouldn't get my KBS after showing up at 4:45am, but I hardly think I've come off as declaring "entitlement".

As I've said in various posts throughout the day, I commend the people that had the resolve to tent up at midnight and Black Friday KBS. If such a trend continues I'd guess I'll just have to stick to more common offerings.

31. No, you were fine. My commentary wasn't about you at all but rather the beer scene as a whole. Today I heard boatloads of bitching and moaning after the tickets were being handed out, both from people who "only" got half a case and later from those who got nothing at all. We all knew there was a finite amount of cases and that plenty of people were going to drive a long distance to leave empty-handed. It sucks, but dem's da breaks. We aren't entitled to things just because we put forth effort to try to get them.

32. wibrewer

wibrewer Initiate (0) Wisconsin Mar 5, 2011

Typical FIB.

33. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

I will back up everything Nate says. Not only because I was with him all night and we had the same experience, but because he can make it sound more eloquent than I.

Also thanks to him for remembering my tagline for the night. "I'm so miserable I'm not even drunk anymore."

stxSS07 likes this.
  34. stxSS07

Alright cool...from what I've seen during my short time (<2 years) here you've been one of the posters that I follow and helped develop my attitude toward craft beer so I tend to give your (and other local long-time BAs) opinions more weight. "Dem's da breaks" is what my BA buddy and I said word-for-word (in a MN accent) after counting the line when we arrived. We were bummed, but also impressed/shocked by people's resolve.

I'll be on the hunt for a 4-pack or two locally, but with class/internship I don't have my hopes up. Looks like I might have to focus my all-day drinking energy on DLD...it was created for it right?

35. This is true, i think the problem comes from the brewery stating on their website and even with Facebook updates right up till the last minute of handing out tickets that the allotment was a full case. This is going cause negative feelings in any situation where you are told one thing and then another happens, not just concerning beer releases. It is completely fair to feel slighted by that type of situation. It's not feeling entitled to expect to get what you are told you will get. Either way it was a blast, a very cold blast, but a blast non the less. That sucks that there were so many overindulged individuals up by you. I was in the 1 o'clock area past the tent community and there seemed to be nothing but good times goin on. I was shocked by the mess people left the closer we got in line though.

TapeDeck likes this.
  36. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Today was a fun day. A roller coaster of emotions for sure. I met a lot of people who were unbelievably generous in sharing their beer. I enjoyed a lot of fantastic conversation. I wish that people could sleep on their emotions for a day or two before writing posts that are emotionally-charged and abrasive

I've said it before... generally beer people are awesome. Unfortunately right now a lot of these 'beer people' are on very little sleep and therefore being quite impulsive. Beer is great. There is a lot of it out there. Events like these are supposed to (and did/do) bring us together. I think we all want to see each other happy... if you got some kbs, share it with fellow BAs and have a great time drinking/talking beer.

divineaudio, Tony412, quilty and 4 others like this.
  37. Cheers!

38. I'm not sure I can get behind that.

First, it's their product and they are within their rights to disperse it as they see fit. These allocation limits are quite often subject to change (see: Dark Lord, BA HiFi). Or perhaps if they took the DLD route and announced the limit at doors opening it would have seemed more fair?

Second, I would suspect that they had no idea that over 1000 people would get in line for KBS today: two small bins for everybody's garbage and no staffers to periodically empty them (hence the mess) and four porta-johns. They made a tough decision to make the best out of an impossible situation. What would've been the blowback if 3/4 of the attendees left with nothing? Probably worse than half of the attendees leaving with less that what was initially promised based upon what they assumed would be a reasonable number of attendees.

39. 1koolspud

1koolspud Aficionado (150) Illinois Jun 30, 2008

It helps when you are right by the port-o-johns. It's where people try to go to vomit.

40. And I in turn can't get behind that. They had to realize a crowd of around this size after they experienced the crowd for the CBS relase. I can't believe that they don't realize the demand for their own product, yet we do. Those who showed up extra early realized this? It was some poor planning on Founders part from the start that has led to this even being a discussion this evening on here. It surprises me because Founders has usually been held up as a very organized well run company that handles releases and events properly. Hopefully they do take away some things from this and plan better in the future. I will be back again next year if it goes down.... so I guess in the end I'm just jibba jabberin.

TapeDeck and dlello2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.