1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Weihenstephaner Beers.... what do people think of them?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MaxOhle, Dec 23, 2012.

1. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (345) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

What do people think of Weihenstephaner as a whole?

2. I've enjoyed every Weihenstephaner beer that I've tried, which I believe consists of just about everything that is commercially available in the United States. Their Hefeweizen is the gold standard for the style, in my opininon. That said, I don't drink them with too much frequency due to the issue with freshness. While Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier might be the best in the world, if the bottle on the shelf is 7 months old...

3. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I imagine most people that have had them like them.

4. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

All of their beers are amazing, and indeed ideal representations of the style, if not perfect representations.

5. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Very nice beers (all of the ones I have tried).

6. All the brews are top notch especially Korbinian, my favorite doppelbock

jgk2255, FarmerTed, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  7. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

They win.

yemenmocha likes this.
  8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Also, dont cost a billion dollars... AND GET SHIPPED FROM OVERSEAS. WHY ARENT THEY 27 DOLLARS, LIKE EVIL TWIN?!?!?!

I will regret this post in the morning.

9. Their heffe is what got me started in craft beer (broke me from the BMC shell). I still pick up a few bottles from time to time just because I love it.

kpanter, Docrock, wildyeast and 3 others like this.
  10. drevim

drevim Aficionado (180) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

I really enjoy all the styles I've been able to try. Just seems German beers don't see a lot of chatter here. I think they get lost behind the Belgians. Schneider is another solid brand worth checking out.

11. acelin

When I start homebrewing, I plan on doing German beers justice. Hoppy hefe? Check. Imperial Dunkels? Check. Triple weizenbocks? Hell yes. Imperial hopped hefes? Oh dear yes. We only used English ales in this country because the original literature was in our language. It wasn't because most of us are of english descent.

gabedivision likes this.
  12. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

FTFY

13. acelin

Know what else would be good? Roasted barley Doppelbock with american imperial stout like hops.

14. So true. should be an "end thread" type post. Can't say more than that. Thank God that these beers exist and will continue to exist in their present form!

JediMatt, YogiBeer, Schwantz and 5 others like this.
  15. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

it's one of those breweries that i should probably buy more than i do

16. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

They are great, Vitus and Original Premium are my favs.

YogiBeer, Momar42 and Wreckoncile like this.
  17. I feel like that's not doing them justice, that's ruining them.

jmalex, jtdolla911, franklinn and 4 others like this.
  18. Also, Weihenstephaner makes incredible beers (Korbinian is AWESOME), and I share the same sentiment as poopinmybutt.

19. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

I've only had the Hefe Weissbier, and it was pretty damn good.

20. acelin

It's hard to ruin a style when you are making new ones.

Hoppy wheat beers can be quite amazing if done right.

Roasted malt dunkels would just add a greater depth of flavor.

Triple weizenbocks have been done by german brewers in the past, just not often.

21. Im not big on German style beers, but the Hefe is the gold standard of the style, and hands down the best Hefeweizen Ive had

22. I just don't think adding more hops and boosting the alcohol is "doing justice" to a style that has been brewed in a certain tradition for years. Hefes, dunkels, weizenbocks, etc. don't need to have justice done to them...they are already great!

That said, if you think it's something you'll enjoy then brew away. I'll simply leave it on the shelf and pick up the Weihenstephaner it's sitting next to :).

rocdoc1 likes this.
  23. acelin

I don't think you understand. You're the only one saying doing justice. I simply think we took the lesser of two paths: American craft brewing innovated from english foundations instead of german ones.

24. Great beers at great prices.

GRG1313 likes this.
  25. Oisin

Oisin Aficionado (205) California Oct 14, 2005

Yes--Korbinian over Spaten's Double Shovels any day! And the price is so right.

26. One of the greatest brewery's on earth.

27. Great range of beers. Their Kristallweissbier is easily the best anywhere in the world. And its largely ignored or forgotten.

BlowstotheBody, Luk13, confer and 6 others like this.
  28. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (240) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

This. It's definitely my fave from them.

Zimbo likes this.
  29. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Agreed, the Germans don't get a lotta love on BA typically, not much negativity either though. I've enjoyed everything I've had by Weihenstephaner, Schneider is great as well as are Ayinger and Paulaner now I'm sad I have such little German stuff on hand save for Aventinus.:(

sprucetip and drevim like this.
  30. drevim

drevim Aficionado (180) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

Weihenstephaner Hefe and Aventinus were my first 2 German beers. Talk about hitting it right the first try, a complete blind stab with a server who couldn't pronounce them.

31. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Aventinus and Salvator were my 1st 2 Germans. Listed style be damned, Aventinus is it's own beast.

Docrock, jtdolla911 and drevim like this.
  32. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

I second that statement.

BobZ likes this.
  33. It is also at the Bavarian brewing university. That should say something about the beer's quality.

34. Weihenstephener Hefeweissen - Simply the best you can drink in the style, 'nuff said.
    Korbinian - best dopplebock that I've had thus far
    Vitus - Damn good Weizenbock
    "Regular" Weihenstephener - Munich Helles, very good beer

Has anyone had their Pilsener? I've seen it start to creep on the shelves of my beer shops, but I just haven't got around to buying it yet.

35. Every beer Ive had from them has been above average at worst, World class at best.

36. Extremely nice beer- same malt character as their Original, but a bit drier and hoppier. If you like the Original you'll love it.

37. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

3.9, 4.58, 4.70, and 4.83 for the 4 beers I had. Not too shabby.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  38. Actually, you didn't.

beerFool28607 and acelin like this.
  39. metter98

metter98 Advocate (720) New York Aug 29, 2006

All of the beers I have had from them are excellent, and their hefeweizen is my favorite in the style.

The last time I was in Munich, I went to Freising and walked up the hill to the monestary. They had a great ad on the wall next to the brewery with two nuns sitting on the end of a dock, dipping their feet in the water and drinking wheat beers with a caption that translated from German as "this is heaven." I would agree with this statement.

40. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,080) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Exemplars of the styles they make.

If there is a clear worldclass brewery - this is it.