1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Weihenstephaner Beers.... what do people think of them?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MaxOhle, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Is there actual evidence that they are really the world's oldest brewery?
  2. Everyone around here stocks their Hefe, but the Original Lager is much harder to find for some reason...which is thoroughly depressing, as I want to drink that every day for the rest of my life. Top notch brewery.
  3. Never had anything I didn't love/really like. The hefe is one of my personal all time favorites.
  4. Hopdaemon39

Hopdaemon39 Savant (350) New York Dec 27, 2011

Best German lagers you can get- haven't been to Germany but over here I haven't had anything better
  5. heinzdog9

heinzdog9 Aspirant (40) Georgia Jun 11, 2011

The gold standard of hefes.
  6. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Savant (260) California Aug 12, 2008

I didn't like Korbinian, but their other stuff is really, really good.
  7. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (425) Ohio May 2, 2010

WORLD CLASS...All of them.
  8. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

I have had the whole lineup(that the US gets) and they are damn awesome to world class in rank. The only beer that disappointed me was the Oktoberfest. Really wasnt what I expected from the style at all(though the beer was still good). However, the rest of the styles they make are spot on.

Really wanna get my hands on the dunkel lager they make, badly.
  9. I imagine it's like my father's broom-had three new handles and two new heads but it's the same broom.
    Many breweries claim great age but it's doubtful whether any have been uninterrupted and continuous enterprises.Is it the same brewery if premises are changed? Or is it simply that brewing has been carried out in the locality over a long time? Which is true for practically all Northern European towns.
  10. Possibly the best weissbier I've had on tap, period!
  11. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I don't think I've ever had an Oktoberfest that I liked a lot, in fact I don't think its a particularly well liked style in America either.
  12. We'll find out next fall when Bud Light Octoberfest hits the shelves.

I think I've used this joke before.
  13. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

You almost had me there for a second. Although I can't think of anything that would stop AB from making such a thing.
  14. In addition to their beers bring great, the gift pack is the best holiday gift pack deal around. 5 16.9 ounce bottles, all within a few months bottling, and a glass for $15. Considering their half liter bottles go for $3 to $4 alone, that's amazing.

The pack I got this year had the Hefe, Original, Krystal, Dunkel, and the Vitus. Merry Christmas
    BlastBeats and cnbrown313 like this.
  15. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (705) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Fantastic brewery - I'd love to try these beers fresh. When I drink German or German-Style beers, Weihenstephaner is my archetype for comparison.
  16. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

As my pet bear Yogi used to say...

They're "better than you're avvverage BEER!"

[​IMG]
    steveh likes this.
  17. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

You need to try more German beers. Big differences between breweries brewing the same style -- for many of the same reasons an IPA can be different from brewery to brewery.
  18. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

My first sample of their Original (helles) a few years ago prompted me to realize that I'd been drinking ales almost exclusively for some time, and that lagers warranted my attention as well. Thanks Weihenstephaner!
    steveh likes this.
  19. Boozledooz

Boozledooz Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 8, 2011

The problem with Weihenstephaner is that they are very difficult beers to come by fresh, but in Germany from the source it is an excellent brewery. I also think Dry Dock Hefeweizen is the first hefe I've had that matches Weihenstephaner's. If it had more reviews it very well might be the number 1 hefe. Try it if you ever get a chance.
    alexipa likes this.
  20. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Any beer that is good enough for Trappist Monks to drink is good enough for me!

[​IMG]
  21. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

22. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

Well, yes and no in agreement there. The real problem is most American breweries cannot make a solid style example; because most of the ones I have had are too fruity and off balanced, and dont have nearly enough body and mouthfeel,

However, I know of plenty of people including myself who drink the shit out of Great Lakes Oktoberfest every year. That is a spot on brew.
  23. He's referring to this statement in your original post: When I start homebrewing, I plan on doing German beers justice.

Clearly, he's not the only one saying doing justice. Just sayin'
  24. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

Their Festbier is strikingly different than the other Octoberfest beers I have tasted. And that color! It glows!
    [​IMG]
    The taste grew on me. I would buy again.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  25. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

My username is relevant.
    Brunite likes this.
  26. Those aren't Trappists, you can tell by the robes Edit - habit.

You can see what a Cistercians (Trappists) wear a white habit and a black Scapular (apron like thingy).
  27. steveh

It's in the more modern "Wiesn" style that's served at the Oktoberfests these days. Hofbrau and Augustiner import their versions and Paulaner imports bot their Amber Marzen and Wiesn Fests.

I agree that few US micros make a great, Bavarian style Okto, but many are well-made beers.
  28. Are we talking about Octoberfest now? Mmmmm....Hacker Pschorr
  29. I took a real liking to their Vitus helles weizenbock the last few years, highly recommended, and just this week I tried their helles lager for the first time and while this is not my favorite style by any means, its was hands down the crispest cleanest most refreshing lager i may have ever had, no funny aftertastes as you get with some of these.
    herrburgess likes this.
  30. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Weihenstephaner is fantastic, they don't brew a bad or even mediocre beer. One of the best breweries in all the land.

If we are talking about Oktoberfests now, that's my favorite style! I love the weihenstephaner one but agree it's different from others. My favorites are Hacker-Pschorr and Ayinger, special mention to Paulaner.
  31. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

Very good brewery.
  32. steveh

No, just the Weihenstephan version -- we can revisit Oktoberfest again next year. ;)
    Feel_the_Darkness likes this.
  33. mverity

mverity Savant (405) Florida Oct 6, 2012

I couldn't have put it better. Their stuff is simply and amazingly executed.
  34. I've had three of their offerings, and I like them.
  35. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,050) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I am glad nobody knows about their Pilsner..

(oh shit... whoops)
  36. vitus? yes please.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  37. Worldclass and at a great price. I have a five litre keg of the hefe to demolish NYE.
  38. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Very good beer! I like everything they make even though most of their styles are not my favorite.
  39. It seems like they just started sending it to SoCal.