1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Weihenstephaner Beers.... what do people think of them?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MaxOhle, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Yes. I am aware of the difference in their garb. But; I'm told that these fellows disguised themselves to appear non-Trappist. After all; how well would all those Westy Bricks sold if folks actually saw them drinking the German stuff for their own consumption?:cool:
  2. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

they do now,Thanks
  3. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Weihenstephan is top shelf world class. Their Hefeweissbier is the hands down best Hefe on the planet, and their Vitus weizenbock for me is the best weizenbock on earth. It's a light colored weizenbock, but it's basically their world class Hefe juiced up on flavor and abv. It reminds me of a double Hefeweissbier. I've had almost if not all their brews released in the states and enjoyed all of them. But my 2 regulars from Weigenstephaner are the Hefe and vitus when it's released each season in cooler months. Germans know beer as well as anyone and especially wheat beer, and weihenstephan are at the forefront for both German and weiss bier styles. Their are 3 German breweries I really enjoy and while many more exist these 3 are in my top 50 brewers of the world list. Weihenstephan is one of the 3 along with G.Schneider & sohn as well as Brauerei Aying/Ayinger. If you are looking for quality hefes, weizenbocks, or anything wheat you can't go wrong with those 3. I recommend getting the weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and vitus first chance you get.

Cheers
    slm100 likes this.
  4. Delicious. I like the dunkel most. Haven't tried the Korvibian... er, whatever it's called.
  5. I just received a 5 pack + the glass for Christmas from my parents. Can't wait to try them out! Doesn't look like I will be disappointed.
    BlastBeats likes this.
  6. Very difficult to find on draft in the Pittsburgh area. Fathead's, Smokin Joes, and the Sharp Edge have had some of their beers on draft in the past year. Their Munich Helles and Wheat were incredible. I strongly wish more bars carried their products on draft.
  7. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

I have loved every beer of theirs I've tried.

Dammit, now I want to go to my local German Beer Hall for lunch and get a pint. ;)
  8. Vitus = Awesomeness
    semibaked likes this.
  9. slm100

slm100 Disciple (70) Dec 11, 2012

I have tried a few: Hefe Weissbier, Vitus and Hefeweissen.
    All of which were very good. Nice price too.
  10. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

For me the only American Hefe that comes close is Live Oak, from Austin, TX. Had some less than a week old and it was amazing. Never thought an American brewery could nail a German hefe like that. I was wrong. Of course there are a $hitton on Germans in Central Texas.
  11. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

12. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Never had anything from them that I thought was average...everything is slightly above and in some cases the best available. Awesome stuff from those guys, even though they are pretty new to this whole brewing thing...
  13. Enjoying the Kristallweiss right now. Smells of bananas and apples, really light and fruity, definitely something you could drink a lot of in the summer, quite refreshing.
  14. timc100

timc100 Savant (315) Illinois Aug 13, 2012

Bring very fond, treasured memories of drinking beer in the homeland. Great stuff, of course if fresh
  15. BierStein711

BierStein711 Savant (250) Illinois Oct 12, 2011

A lot of good German beers seem to get away from the spotlight on this website. Schneider, Ayinger and Weihenstephaner all seem to not have a fair amount of attention.

I received a Weihenstephaner gift pack, and I'm looking forward to exploring them more; I have only had the Hefeweizen and the Original Lager.
    drevim likes this.
  16. Korbinian. It's good. Get one.
  17. Will do. It's on my list!!!
    UCLABrewN84 likes this.
  18. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

As ColoradoBob would say

VVV
    III
    TTT
    UUU
    SSS
  19. stout1420

stout1420 Disciple (70) New York Oct 27, 2010

Worlds oldest brewery if I'm not mistaken! For a reason
  20. JediMatt

The other American hefe's that are close in quality (IMO) are New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis.

21. And:

· Troegs DreamWeaver Wheat (2012 GABF Gold Medal winner)
    · Stoudt’s Heifer-in-Wheat (2010 GABF Gold Medal winner)
    · Sly Fox Royal Weiss
    · Victory Sunrise Weiss
    · Etc.

Cheers!
  22. Momar42

I hear great things about NG Dancing man but I would have to disagree on the SN. There are good American Weiss beers but they are different compared to the German offerings. The Live Oak, to me, represents the German style best. All subject to opinion of course.
  23. JediMatt

Hmm. It's been a while since I've had Kellerweis, but I seem to remember thinking that it was a hell of a lot closer to a true representation of the German style hefe than almost any other brand out there. I'll have to give it another try and see if I still feel the same way.
  24. I can't say that I've met a bad Weihenstephaner beer yet with Vitus the pick of the litter.
  25. So you're going to take German styles of beer and make them American? That's "doing justice" to German beer the same way take-out Chinese food is "doing justice" to Chinese culture. I'm as big a fan of fusion as the next guy, but don't pretend you're doing the Germans a solid by completely changing everything they like about their beer.

I'm also confused by the second half of your statement. Most, if not all, post-prohibition beer were lagers based on the Pilsner. Pre-prohibition beer was largely British-style Ale and Porter, dating back to before the Revolutionary War, because we used to be British.
  26. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Love the SN Kellerweis and I think it's very German-like
  27. Momar42

I think perhaps its time for me to the same :).
  28. The only people who don't like Weihenstephaner are those who never drank Weihenstephaner !
    CoverMePorkins likes this.
  29. Prior to Prohibition the popular beer in America was what we today call a Classic American Pilsner (CAP). A CAP is similar to a German style pilsner but used indigenous ingredients (American 6-row barley, Maize (or rice), American Cluster hops for bittering, etc.).

You can read Jeff Renner’s article entitled: The Revival of the Classic American Pilsner in the Zymurgy of Sept./Oct. 2000. You can download it from the AHA website: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/free-downloads

Cheers!
  30. The "pre-Prohibition" era in the US covers more than a century, of course, but (to quote Stanley Baron from his Brewed in America [1962]):

By the 1890's, Pabst, Anheuser-Busch and Schlitz were the #1, 2 and 3 brewers in the US and #5, P. Ballantine & Sons, was the largest ale brewer, yet their lager beer division was already outselling their ales, porters and stout by 1891.

It should also be noted that the per capita consumption of beer in the US before the great wave of German immigration that brought with it the rise of lager beer breweries in the mid-1800's was quite small compared to the immediate pre-Pro era. In 1850 it was 1.5 gallons of beer per person and by the turn of the century in 1900 that had risen tenfold to 15.5 gallons - most of it lager beer.
  31. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I like them... but I like ayinger better!
  32. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

I love them. Generally, they define the style, more or less. If you don't like them, you probably don't like German style.
  33. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012