The White House releases honey-based homebrew beer recipes

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It's official. Today at 1:30 EDT, Sam Kass (White House Assistant Chef and the Senior Policy Advisor for Healthy Food Initiatives) posted the recently petitioned White House beer recipes on The White House Blog.

And here's the recipes ...

WHITE HOUSE HONEY PORTER
    Ingredients
    • 2 (3.3 lb) cans light unhopped malt extract
    • 3/4 lb Munich Malt (cracked)
    • 1 lb crystal 20 malt (cracked)
    • 6 oz black malt (cracked)
    • 3 oz chocolate malt (cracked)
    • 1 lb White House Honey
    • 10 HBUs bittering hops
    • 1/2 oz Hallertaur Aroma hops
    • 1 pkg Nottingham dry yeast
    • 3/4 cup corn sugar for bottling
    Directions
    1. In a 6 qt pot, add grains to 2.25 qts of 168˚ water. Mix well to bring temp down to 155˚. Steep on stovetop at 155˚ for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, bring 2 gallons of water to 165˚ in a 12 qt pot. Place strainer over, then pour and spoon all the grains and liquid in. Rinse with 2 gallons of 165˚ water. Let liquid drain through. Discard the grains and bring the liquid to a boil. Set aside.
    2. Add the 2 cans of malt extract and honey into the pot. Stir well.
    3. Boil for an hour. Add half of the bittering hops at the 15 minute mark, the other half at 30 minute mark, then the aroma hops at the 60 minute mark.
    4. Set aside and let stand for 15 minutes.
    5. Place 2 gallons of chilled water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons if necessary. Place into an ice bath to cool down to 70-80˚.
    6. Activate dry yeast in 1 cup of sterilized water at 75-90˚ for fifteen minutes. Pitch yeast into the fermenter. Fill airlock halfway with water. Ferment at room temp (64-68˚) for 3-4 days.
    7. Siphon over to a secondary glass fermenter for another 4-7 days.
    8. To bottle, make a priming syrup on the stove with 1 cup sterile water and 3/4 cup priming sugar, bring to a boil for five minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 1-2 weeks at 75˚.
    WHITE HOUSE HONEY ALE
    Ingredients
    • 2 (3.3 lb) cans light malt extract
    • 1 lb light dried malt extract
    • 12 oz crushed amber crystal malt
    • 8 oz Bisquit Malt
    • 1 lb White House Honey
    • 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets
    • 1 1/2 oz Fuggles Hop pellets
    • 2 tsp gypsum
    • 1 pkg Windsor dry ale yeast
    • 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
    Directions
    1. In an 12 qt pot, steep the grains in a hop bag in 1 1/2 gallons of sterile water at 155 degrees for half an hour. Remove the grains.
    2. Add the 2 cans of the malt extract and the dried extract and bring to a boil.
    3. For the first flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings and 2 tsp of gypsum. Boil for 45 minutes.
    4. For the second flavoring, add the 1/2 oz Fuggles hop pellets at the last minute of the boil.
    5. Add the honey and boil for 5 more minutes.
    6. Add 2 gallons chilled sterile water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons. There is no need to strain.
    7. Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80˚. Fill airlock halfway with water.
    8. Ferment at 68-72˚ for about seven days.
    9. Rack to a secondary fermenter after five days and ferment for 14 more days.
    10. To bottle, dissolve the corn sugar into 2 pints of boiling water for 15 minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 2 to 3 weeks at 75˚.
    Download the PDF versions:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/whitehouse_files/image/wh_beer_recipe_0.pdf

Ale to the Chief!

airforbes1, Retsinis, yamar68 and 4 others like this.
  2. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Don't know why everyone wanted this recipe...those guys barely know what they're talking about and are using basic homebrew kits.

3. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Everyone has to start somewhere ...

4. That honey ale is a hefty brew, 6.6 lbs liquid malt, 1 lb dry, and a pound of honey!

5. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Fair enough and I will admit that it's certainly better than the Prez. drinking BMC...

ditka311, Boz12 and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  6. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Or being a teetotaler.

beerhobo22, airforbes1, MrOH and 3 others like this.
  7. Mortarforker

Mortarforker Savant (315) Texas Oct 27, 2004

I'd sure love a sip of that ale.

8. Anyone have an all-grain version of this recipe?

9. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I was kinda surprised to hear that there was a porter. i expected only light colored stuff for some reason. (no absurd race jokes implied by my statement). i guess im always surpisrised when anybody who isn't pretty into beer chooses something darker.

Well as if craft beer needed to be any further legitimized in America at this point, i guess this will help a tad.

10. indy1

indy1 Aspirant (40) Florida May 24, 2010

I am a new homebrewer and have a question about the porter recipe. It says 10 HBU's bittering hops. Can anyone tell me what hops I should use and how much? Thanks

11. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

Somebody already made one on Hopville for the Honey Ale. The porter isn't there yet for AG but just fire up beersmith/brewtarget/beertools and it should be no problem

http://hopville.com/recipe/1645107

Its an easy calc. It is just the AA%*ounces of hops

so if you have 5% hops for bittering, you need 2 ounces. 5%AAU*2oz = 10HBU or Homebrew bitterness units

12. From John Palmer's How to Brew:

Choose whatever bittering hop you have readily available (or that plays nice with your aroma hop) and calculate weight using the formula above.

13. Bfarr

Bfarr Savant (365) Washington Feb 23, 2010

The hard part is stealing the White House honey...

14. oversparging that minimash on the porter

15. I wonder if they just buy a recipe kit and put honey in it.

yemenmocha and RochesterAaron like this.
  16. reminds me of the old recipe that begins: "First, steal one chicken..."

17. Please keep us informed is any micro-breweries undertake brewing up these recipes.....

18. Well, there goes my vote for Obama. I'll only support a president whose administration brews all grain.

19. precogpunk

precogpunk Disciple (60) Minnesota Jun 19, 2009

Our next petition is to move the whitehouse to all grain. What's presidential about extract?? really?

20. We can put a man on the moon, and remote controlled vehicles on Mars, but we can't do an all grain homebrew at the whitehouse? Awesome!
    His chefs can brew extract kit beers and add honey. I can make great macaroni and cheese from a box and add pepper. Anybody want that recipe?

21. tylermains

tylermains Savant (305) Kentucky Apr 6, 2010

@1:50 "we'll transfer it into these and uhhh let it distill"

at first my jimmies were rustled. Now it's lulz.

I'm not so irked that it's not all grain, whatever... that can fly. But the 'brewers' don't really have basic fermentation knowledge or terminology down.

antlerwrestler19, Boz12 and claaark13 like this.
  22. the fact that the White House is homebrewing is far more important for homebrew (and craft beer) than any quibbles about recipes or terminology

I'm not going to pretend I knew all the terminology when I brewed my first few times, and that's where those chefs are at. They're also at a point most homebrewers never go past, and are perfectly happy making their beer at.

I swear they could've put out the greatest IPA recipe known to man, and someone would complain they're using all the Citra

23. I'm intrigued the Honey Porter recipe and may attempt to make an all-grain interruption once I work through my Pumpkin Ale that is now fermenting...

dsal89 likes this.
  24. JEdmund

JEdmund Savant (465) Kansas Oct 23, 2006

Golly, bunch of nitpickers here! They're brewing beer, for the first time, in the White House. That's awesome, and we should celebrate it. Obama's being a true beer advocate.

25. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

True. Staying away from politics, this can be nothing but good exposure for homebrewing. I can remember threads where people say that their friends won't drink their homebrew because they don't think it's safe.

Well, if POTUS can drink homebrew, then you can too.

Bmilla, Boz12 and Gonzoillini like this.
  26. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

They're using a mini-mash... that's actually far more advanced than i was expecting.

Good on them for showcasing homebrew with the public!

Bmilla likes this.
  27. BILL808

BILL808 Initiate (15) Sep 2, 2012

I would like to purchase a kit with all the ingredients to make these beers minus the honey. Is there anything out there available? This may be quite an opportunity for some ambitious entrepreneurs. Starting from ZERO. I mean ZERO. Quite a rookie, in Hawaii.

28. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

What does the ABV calculate out on these? Just curious..

celticfutblclub and ehammond1 like this.
  29. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Perhaps the terminology, or lack of, is intentional so the content is accessible to the general public. Why would they cater a video to what some may see is a niche population? Same goes for the language in the recipe.

30. WynnO

WynnO Advocate (535) Florida Oct 24, 2003

I wish this would be the start of a tradition that would continue as long we are a Country. If Romney wins though, it could be dead...him being a Mormon. There's irony in there somewhere.

I am against spending taxpayer dollars on unnecessary things, but since we do spend trillions every year, creating a permanent "White House Brewmaster" is something I would support. James Madison had the best idea though--a National Brewery!

31. tfischl

tfischl Aficionado (185) Indiana Dec 28, 2005

If you are going to brew beer in the White House... you should be using hops grown in the USA (e.g Cascades/Wilamette) and how about using good old American Ale Yeast! Just my 2 cents!

tacosandbeer likes this.
  32. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Considering who does the brewing, it is to be expected. I bet if the WH chef asked for one of your supper dish recipes he'd have equal lulz at your expense.

I bet the brew came out great anyway, even with the cold water in fermenter, and the obvious noob understanding of the process.

33. Lutter

The all-grain recipe linked above shows 6.4% for the White House Honey Ale

34. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

The White House makes their own honey too? Obama is not only doing great things for the beer community by brewing beer, he's making his own honey too! He's a beer advocate and a honey advocate! Sign this guy up for another term already! :D

aerodynamic likes this.
  35. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Its all out there. Just look around.
    Good luck with that.

36. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

People still consider extract brewing somehow inferior to all grain?

37. Lutter

I know for a fact that if you contact Austin Homebrew (www.austinhomebrew.com) they would be glad to send you a kit with all the ingredients to make the beer. Heck, knowing JB they've probably already got the recipe in their system.

38. This is great. Regardless of your politics, it's awesome to see that the leader of our country is interested in good beer just like we all are.

Cheers!

airforbes1 and Henamonster like this.
  39. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Overall, I love the fact that there is brewing in the White House. It will bring great attention to the hobby and craft beer. The recipes are just what I was guessing (which is why I didn't understand the excitement for them), basic starter kits. Which there is nothing wrong with at all. No issue with it being extract, I am guessing they are new to brewing. Through skimming the directions I definitely see some issues with their understanding of brewing, which is fine, everyone has to start some where and I know I am continually learning after 5 years of home brewing.

First, I don't think they need to mash at all. Even though the Porter has some malt that can be mashed, I don't think a) it is worth the effort and b) there are enough enzymes in the Munich compared to all of the other malt. The Honey wheat definitely does not need to be mashed.

Second, I cry a little inside anytime I see someone boiling honey. Honey is so delicate that boiling it hurts it's flavor. Boiling the honey for an hour in the porter is terrible. The five minutes in the Honey Wheat is debatable, but I would just add it at flameout. For one, honey typically cannot harvest bacteria, second even adding it at flameout with help sanitize it. Also, by adding five mins worth of boil time for the honey, they are adding time to the late addition hops.

Not sure what step 4 in the porter recipe is there for. You want to start chilling your wort ASAP. Also, I think the suggestion of pitching yeast between 70-80 is too high. You want to pitch at the fermenting temp (65-72)

Otherwise there are a few terminology things that are not correct. For one, the hops added at the beginning are not flavoring hops, they are bittering hops. The flavor compounds will be boiled off. Also, sterile water is not needed for the mash. Good quality water is needed, but the water does not need to be sterilized during the mash, it will become so during the boil. Though that is nitpicking, words like sterile, clean, and sanitized have specific and distinct meanings in brewing. They are correct to say sterile water is needed to top off after the boil though.

Lastly, I know it is common to see this in many generic recipes and procedures, but a secondary is not needed for either of these beers. It would just cause more work and higher chance of oxidation and infection.

Some of the good things are the specific mention activating the yeast, and the specification of fermentation temps. As a side note to those who don't know, that is the temp of the carboy/wort/beer, not the room temp. The fermentation temp can be 4-7 degrees higher than room temp.

Like I said, I am not trying to be negative, I think this is great. Just pointing out a few tips, especially for those looking to start brewing after learning of the White House brewing.

TL/DR: Good for the White House staff for brewing. Though some things can be changed / reworded it is great to see the hobby get some attention.

40. I think its pretty awesome. Any beer being made in the White House is a good thing if you ask me. I personally have been accumulating knowledge and supplies to begin homebrewing myself. I haven't figured out what I wanna do for a mash tun yet, I just know I dont want a plastic cooler. Anyway, Ive been thinkin of doing an extract batch in the meantime, and now with the election coming up I'm thinking one of these will make an awesome first batch to brew.

beerhobo22 likes this.