1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The White Whale List - 2012

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by AgentZero, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everything has a price.

2. I'm still surprised how high you guys ranked Rare BCBS. I'm pretty certain there are quite a few beers ranked below it that wouldn't trade 1:1 with it.

3. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (565) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

Everyone has opinions, this list is merely an average of that. Some who ranked agreed with you. I doubt anyone in the world agrees with the list in its entirety, although there's some that differentiate significantly more than others.

4. Yeah, I get the whole opinion thing. I'm just making an observation based on the fact that Rare is one of the few from that list that I actually have pretty solid trading experience with.

And please don't take this as me poo pooing the list. I like any list that will give me a better handle on what to offer for some of these whales that I may be seeking.

5. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Savant (365) Illinois Oct 16, 2009

Is it possible to maybe highlight the x bottles with the highest variance in ranking? Not sure if it just muddles the rankings, but could give some insight into how subjective these really are. Just a thought

6. AgentZero

Yeah, going to get around to generating some statistics at some point in the near future.

jedwards likes this.
  7. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Savant (365) Illinois Oct 16, 2009

Kewl, thanks for crunching the numbers on this one!

8. AgentZero

Nah, I didn't take it that way, although people are free to poo poo it all they want. It's a fun exercise that only has as much meaning as someone wants to give it.

9. I personally don't like things like this per se, but I have to admit you guys did a good job. The only thing I get out of the list, however, is the desire to kick myself for trading so many of these away for things not on the list. God I am a terrible trader.

10. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

What a fun list and thread; thanks to all involved!

I'm only a year into this hobby and am just finishing grad school (see: lots of loans...), so I expect virtually every beer mentioned to be beyond my reach save for the generosity of others, such as Heatwave/Stephen, who gave me a generous pour of AB Huna, my only tick thus far.

Nonetheless, I love this community, and I find fascinating learning more about and understanding the history and beers which helped lead to today's thriving craft scene. And since trade value truly is a subjective concept, this well-conceived list from BAs with such a vast depth of experience seems to me, for its purposes, to be pretty darn close to perfect.

Again, thanks for the history lessons and learning experience that would have been virtually impossible to come across on my own.

11. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

The biggest thing I took away from this list is Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen One-Offs = Whales.

12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I feel that is something everybody already knew.

13. faithfriend123

faithfriend123 Aspirant (25) Dec 28, 2012

I would like to know which beer /beverage /juice company have plans to expand plant scales,anybody knows? very very very very appreciating that!!!

goodbetterbestbested likes this.
  14. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Yeah.......i guess i have drank more bottles of Wooden Hell then Cherry BCS though.

Fuck this town, am i right?

pschul4 and Gonzoillini like this.
  15. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

This really was fun to do, even though it was pretty tough to rank that many Whales. It really took a lot of time and a significant effort from all involved. Thanks to Mike and Jim for putting this together! I've had quite a few off this list and they all deserve to be on it. I know when I first joined BA, Jim's original list taught me quite a bit about whales and vintage beers I'd never heard of. Hopefully this will help some new BA's in the same way it helped me.

Cheers,
    Ryan

16. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

You're not very good at winning trades obviously.

luwak, pschul4, AgentZero and 2 others like this.
  17. I found this one to be an interesting addition to the list, "Odonata Beer Company Rorie's Ale".

18. This was a blast to participate in... even if it took me quite a bit of time to sort all of my ratings out.

19. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

No JD Blackbeard?

Sarlacc83 and AgentZero like this.
  20. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (650) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

That was so my initial reaction when I saw the nominated beers...:D

ChadQuest likes this.
  21. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

I have not had any of these but I did take the time to read the thread. Send me some? Or at least one?

pschul4 likes this.
  22. AgentZero

It's received a solid, low level buzz lately. Those who have decided to chase it have found it quite hard to locate. I was fortunate to sample some generously shared by dvelich and can say that it's a very good and unique beer.

23. Nooooo my only whale isn't a whale anymore!... It was nice to be ballin for a few weeks at least.

24. I only got to try their Saison, which was quite nice. Too bad those guys didn't make it...

25. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

summarization of the list:

something
    Cantillon
    Cantillon
    something
    something
    Cantillon
    something
    Cantillon
    Cantillon

26. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Interesting list. DO Kate was a mega-disappointment.

27. i swear half your posts are about how you didn't like double oaked kate

abecall98 and SpdKilz like this.
  28. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's the second, maybe third, post i've ever mentioned that in.

29. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Fixed it for you. For all the people that complain that Lost Abbey's beers are flat they sure have produced quite a few "walezbro"

nanobrew and luwak like this.
  30. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Lost Abbey has made quite a few awesome sours. It was as if Tomme looked at the beer, thought to himself "bubbles?", and then said, "ill never brew this rare beauty again!"
    On a more serious note...The list should read:
    Cantillon
    3 Font
    Cantillon
    3 Font
    Cantillon
    3 Font
    LA
    3Font
    Cantillon
    RR

luwak likes this.
  31. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I tried making my rankings:

Cantillon
    Cantillon
    Cantillon
    3F
    Cantillon
    Cantillon
    3F
    Cantillon
    3F
    Cantillon
    Cantillon
    Cantillon
    3F

But apparently my ranks were very different than everyone elses

32. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Should have a Sour White Whale list (aka the one people genuinely care about that are intelligent and such) and then a Whale list (meaning beers people hope to get in hopes of landing a couple from the Sour White Whale list). Of course I am biased to the tart ones, yo.

33. lurchingbeast

I think that is pretty much what happened. The top 20 sans Dave is dominated by sours.

MordorMongo likes this.
  34. MordorMongo

Everyone sleeps on the M ;)

But yes, you are generally correct as always!

35. lurchingbeast

A very quick count gave me 8 non-sours out of the top 50.

36. MordorMongo

Yup, which is kind of my point, might as well have just two different lists, as Sours so dominate the *zomfg second mortgage time* trades compared to other styles. Trying to *equate* them to sours is so hard because in general people holding those sours are not likely to trade for stouts(et al). Dave (M, Wooden Hell, etc) are clear exceptions but they don't seem to be being replaced by an up and comer on the list anymore whereas Sours are (see Ann, Framboos, etc.). Hell I don't know, I promise I had a point but it got vaporized in my melon.

37. lurchingbeast

I think this list caused enough carnage. Do we need two?

38. MordorMongo

No, we don't need even one, I was just pontificating on since the harm is done might as well make it make sense.

I am against any quantification attempts in general because I think it is an exercise in futility, and the cause of much butthurt and broken dreams. That said I understand people's fascination with *lists* and trying to measure their penises. Hell I measured mine once. Twice actually as I was sure the first measurement HAD to be wrong.

39. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I put all the Drie Fonteinen beers first and then all the Cantillon. When I ran out, I used random numbers. Is that not how I was supposed to do it?

Seriously people...these are clearly two of the best breweries in the world. They make beers that age extremely well. Many of these beers are either really old or are only available in one or two bars across an ocean, or both. Did you really think many of their beers wouldn't top the list?

40. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Good point. The list is dominated by sours which is probably the style that ages like no other. There are no ipas on the list. Why? Because you can't collect ipas.

You can collect (some) sours with the expectation that you can hold onto it for as long as you want to and it'll probably still be awesome.

AgentZero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.