1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The White Whale List - 2012

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by AgentZero, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmaste6282

rmaste6282 Savant (380) California Apr 30, 2009

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

3. rmaste6282

In the first line of AgentZero's thread, he mentions SpeedwayJim, yet SpeedwayJim also has a White Whale list. Which one am I supposed to believe to be true? Last year (before these were updated), there was only one list to reference.

4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

o_O

5. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Dude, it's just a list that reflects the taste / desirability preferences of 2-3 tasting groups. There's no "absolute" and none of these lists are "right."

themind, AgentZero, ChrisPro and 6 others like this.
  6. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

the one thing I suggest is to expand outside of Europe and US. Kind of an elitist list really. Then again if not in those two parts of the world then it does not matter really using BA thinking

7. What non-Euro or US beers would you put on the list?

8. Also, why is 50/50's Old Fitz on the list? Is it in reference to the 2007 release?

9. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

10. mulder1010

stuff from NZ or Australia that only a few have had.

11. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

This. I would refer to the list references by AgentZero as its a compilation of opinion by me and a ton of people who know a lot more about rare beers than I do.

12. Thorpe429

You need to give yourself more credit :)

cosmicevan and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  13. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Because no one would rank them highly because so few people desire those beers.

GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  14. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

Yes, it's referencing the old 2007 bottling...I think Mike needs to edit that.

+1 Exactly, how could anything that is unknown and has very few ratings be on a list with all the top/hyped beers of all-time? Just doesn't make any sense. We aren't ignoring any beer or location. If it has very little popularity/news/ratings, how is any suppose to know about it?

15. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I will ask again...

16. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Canada doesn't even have anything?

17. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

Dude, the one which has the most of _your cellar beers_ is obviously the one to believe. Duh.

18. rmaste6282

Yeah, that's the one I want to believe.

19. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Yet Eszett "comes in" at #45....is that beer the outlier? A few months old......not many reviews....few have even tasted in......not much noise about this beer other than those from across the pond and those involved in this list.

20. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Try trading for it.....

GrumpyOldTroll and futura123 like this.
  21. mulder1010

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12897/45919

First batch should be on the White whale list.
    Granted, Australia is 10 years behind the US in brewing and NZ is more known for IPA's right now.
    I suppose being geographically isolated does hurt here and there. That and 10 BA's who review here do not help either

22. Thorpe429

Why would this be on the White Whales list? Honestly, I've never heard of this beer (or the brewery, for that matter), so I am extremely skeptical that it would be even close to one of the 100-150 most desirable beers, active or retired.

Of course there is going to be a geographic bias to this. Most BAs are in the United States, and the vast majority of very highly-regarded breweries are either in the US or Belgium. Thus, the list is highly geographically focused.

The list is subjective and based on what people actually desire, not what they should desire, or what the best beers are. However, even though we tried to be objective, it's hard to see the appeal of a beer that really has no name and, objectively speaking, doesn't have the sort of reviews -- on this site or others -- that would suggest that it would be as desirable as the beers on the list we're discussing.*

* I know you said the first batch, so maybe the view of that is different, but when the overall level of the beer is fairly low (in comparison, of course), that's going to drag down the entire reputation.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  23. I'll homer it up for the semi-local brewery and say that I'm somewhat surprised Coast Old Nuptial didn't appear anywhere on the list.

24. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (565) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

It goes on the White Whale list if people want it to be. The is list is based entirely on perception and subjective opinion. I admit to knowing nothing about this beer other than what I can glean from the reviews and ratings (which can't be said to blow me away), but the fact I know nothing about it at all would prevent me from ever ranking it.

25. AgentZero

Will add it to the list for next year.

26. AgentZero

The list was inspired by SpeedwayJim's list and created both with his blessing and participation. As far as which one to believe, they are both 100% right.

27. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

A question remains is a " Whale " a hard to get brew or a hard to get legendary brew. For example Hair of the Dog Dave is a 95 rated by BA members. Also the second Cantillon Soleil de Minuit is a 94 rated by BA members. To me it seems a " Whale " should be a hard to get, legendary beer not just a hard to find beer. IMO

28. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

A whale is whatever you think a whale is. There's no one definition and everyone has a different opinion...this is just the complied thoughts of several tasting groups who have experience with a lot of these beers over many years.

29. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying it's not a whale unless it has a BA score of 100? Pretty sure getting a BA score of 100 requires a significant number of reviews, so that will never happen. You'll notice that the average rating of Soleil is rather high - which is really what you should pay attention to in the first place.

30. themind

Ok just stating my opinion, thats what we do here right? like the guys that did the review...an opinion.

31. themind

I respect your opinion, I am simply stating my opinion....nothing more.

32. you aren't really stating an opinion though, you're just sort of saying stuff

shyhenry, Bluecane, JulianB and 4 others like this.
  33. themind

I will now exit this conversation since I did say something and now your just trolling me. You can have the last word.

34. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I will ask directly....I understand what you are saying but what *whales* are you referring to that aren't legendarily good? I look down the list and don't see any that come to mind as universally horrible or anything. I am confuse.

Michigan likes this.
  35. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

You make my head hurt, bro. I need a beer...

MasterCraft and Michigan like this.
  36. AgentZero

To add to what Sean said, there is no proper and objective definition of a "whale." Truth is, one man's whale may be another man's minnow (props to who said that first, wasn't me). The purpose of making this list was to try to get a collective read on what BAs as a group believe a whale is. A whale is only a whale if you think it is. The list is truly a list of perception, which was then averaged out to try to give a more normalized list of whales. Some are hard to get, some are legendarily good, some are a combination.

Truth is, everyone who participated in making this list said "To me, it seems a 'Whale' should be...", and that was how they made the list. They were given no other instructions BUT a whale is what you think it is and that's how you should do the rankings. If you look over what each person did, you will see a lot of variation.

Again, the list is only as right as you want it to be. Regardless of that, it was a lot of fun, and I think a useful tool for keeping older and legendary beers in the collective mindset and helping newer BAs to find out about "Whales" that they would otherwise never hear about or encounter.

themind, GrumpyOldTroll and JulianB like this.
  37. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

When is a "whale" retired? Once we hunt it to extinction? I imagine I could probably count the number of Soliel de Minuit or Spuyten Duyvil bottles without having to use my toes.

So when is it turned from a "white whale" to a "ghost whale"?

38. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

What he is saying is that the Pinot Noir-aged variant of Supplication should be ahead of Dave. And he's clearly right.

domtronzero and themind like this.
  39. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

How about the PvW '07 BCBS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.