1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The worst KBS price gouge?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKBassist, Apr 6, 2013.

1. BKBassist

BKBassist Member

2. Irishize75

Irishize75 Member

The fact that it a restaurant not withstanding, that is hideous behavior. My bro paid $35 for a 4-pack this year, and here I though THAT was bad..
    randylangford likes this.
  3. randylangford

randylangford Member

Looks like all the prices at this place are crazy.
    DavoleBomb, Prh27, e30todamax and 4 others like this.
  4. bobhits

bobhits Member

Stop bitching, at least you have a chance to try it. Honestly I wish more places would raise prices so beers were accessible. Sure, I'd pass on some great beers as I'm not loaded, but a beer like KBS I really like and would like to get a bottle or two of each year, it's well worth 15-20 bucks a bottle if I don't have to chase a damn distributor around, know 6 people, do a special hand shake, and the drive for an hour wasted untold amounts of gas.
    lvoutlawjlh, AHood, ColdOne and 11 others like this.
  5. gcamparone

gcamparone Member

In their defense it is 2011. But that's still crazy.
  6. Providence

Providence Member

Raising the price wouldn't make it more accessible.
  7. thegoon55

thegoon55 Member

Are you mad?
  8. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Member

Yeah really. Some people who paid 20 bucks for a 4 pack spent 20 on gas to assemble it. Factor in time and its like a 100 dollar 4 pack.
  9. bobhits

bobhits Member

How would it not? Less people would buy a case or two, which despite limits still happens. It would be around longer and give those who don't have a twitter update or read this site daily a chance to get it. I just moved to a new city, I had no chance in hell of getting any. The few places I found that were going to get it couldn't give me a hard date and I couldn't just take off work in hopes I'd get lucky so I went after work, they didn't make it till 7 pm the night of release.
    gjahn123 likes this.
  10. dar482

dar482 Member

$20 for Sculpin?!
  11. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Member

$15 for a single at Beer Plus in Warwick New York.
  12. LambicKing

LambicKing Member

It's only gouging if you let it happen.
  13. imbrue001

imbrue001 Member

wait, isnt Rogue Dirtoir Black Lager normally like $6.50?
    WhiteJordan likes this.
  14. Providence

Providence Member

You answered your own question. "Less people would buy a case or two." If the price goes up less people will buy it. This may make it more accessible for you specifically, because you can afford the new price, but to most it makes it less accessible.
    mrkmrk, ktblue22, ufmj and 2 others like this.
  15. Providence

Providence Member

Beer is a luxury item and thus, no price on beer can ever be considered an attempt at gouging. It could be an attempt at being greedy (which is what I believe the folks charging $35 for KBS are being), but it's not and never will be gouging.
  16. gatornation

gatornation Member

Rayon Vert $10/single and considered rare? its $10 for a 4-pakwidely avalable
    BottleCaps80 and rauchfest like this.
  17. bobhits

bobhits Member

I'm a bit tired of the work it takes to get the few beers I really am willing to go out of my way for. I'd much rather see the whales priced where people buy less due to cost. I end up spending so damn much on gas just hoping to find stores with a second bottle....what I spent to get like 6 bottles of the 2011 bourbon county stout between driving to 5-6 stores a day for a week and then asking family to pick me up a single because yes I wanted to be able to have a bottle a year for 5 years, plus one now. I'd have much rather just spend 100 bucks for 6 bottles or 120 I guess.
    gjahn123, KhakCane and brewbetter like this.
  18. bobhits

bobhits Member

I think KBS is under priced in comparison to that lol.
  19. bobhits

bobhits Member

I don't see how making a beer 20 bucks a bottle makes is inaccessible. It makes buying volume inaccessible. If less people buy volume there is more for people who want a bottle or two. The same number of bottles WILL still sell, they just go to more people.
    KhakCane, brewbetter and commis like this.
  20. JulianB

JulianB Member

I'd rather spend the $35 on a 2011 KBS than any of the other prices visible in that photo.
  21. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Member

Worst price gouging is when someone is crazy enough to pay these prices and tries to trade it $4$. Like your decision to overpay is my problem.
    GRG1313, drbenzo and Nectar like this.
  22. Providence

Providence Member

It sounds like you're gripe isn't with the price as much as it is with the store not limiting how much any one person can purchase. Seems like not allowing cases to be purchased would rectify your problem much more simply, and less detrimentally to others, than raising the price.
    CBlack85 likes this.
  23. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

But if people can't buy cases at a time, then they can't have a bunch of trade bait or resell on Craigslist. Higher original cost means higher resale value, right? I think he's on to something.
  24. bobhits

bobhits Member

Hardly, you call a few friends to pick up a bottle, hit up a few stores. I've done it....and will do it again when things like bourbon county stout come out.

BTW my biggest issue is they need to make more of these beers, I have no idea how you do that given the demand is insane, but heck maybe it SHOULD cost more so they can expand and buy enough barrels to meet ever growing demand?
    brewbetter likes this.
  25. pk18

pk18 Member

FTFY.
    xShoWTeKx and cjoc83 like this.
  26. Providence

Providence Member

So you're part of the problem that you're bitching about?
  27. gatornation

gatornation Member

you might be right ;)
  28. Providence

Providence Member

So basically your entitled to every beer, at a price you're willing to pay, at stores that are conveniently located to you, all the time?
  29. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

I do.
  30. Scalzo

Scalzo Member

13.99 for a bottle and you had to purchase a founders six pack to qualify for the gouging
  31. Providence

Providence Member

I should have reworded that.

*EDIT* Just reworded it...
  32. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Member

Noteworthy gouging right there.
  33. LambicKing

LambicKing Member

Speaking in relative terms within this little microcosm of ours (about which my comment was intended): yes, yes it is. The moment beer is no longer a commodity in my life, BeerAdvocate ceases to exist in said life. Your point is moot.
  34. JulianB

JulianB Member

That's much worse (in a relative sense) than the overpriced restaurant in the OP.
  35. kell50

kell50 Member

I was able to find 5 bottles of KBS between 3 different place around Charlotte.

1st stop- 2 bottles x $5.98 each
    2nd stop- 1 bottle x 6.99
    3rd stop -2 bottles x 5.99 each

All these places were limiting the beer but at these prices I wish I could of purchased more! Screw $35!!!!
    fredmugs likes this.
  36. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Member

I got three four-packs at Beer World in New Windsor, New York at $26 a pop. I felt this was great notonly because of the price but because, as a regular customer, they hooked me up by allowing me to buy so much. Beer Plus made up for it by hammering me so I guess it all comes out in the wash.
  37. dumpman

dumpman Member

They can kiss my ass I will not buy into the madness of these so called rare beers, plenty of quality beers can be purchased for a reasonable price ten to twelve dollars for a sixer is what price point i'm looking for.
    No 12 oz beer is is worth 35 dollars in my opinion.
  38. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Member

Or you could just drink cheaper, more readily accessible beers that are just as or almost as good and not worry about it.
  39. gmendez1122

gmendez1122 Member

Went to a place where you have to buy a 6 pack of founders all day ipa or 4pack of breakfast stout just to be eligible to buy 1 bottle of kbs
    terrapinfan88 and Jonada like this.
  40. bobhits

bobhits Member

I feel that's the goal. You set it at a price that the most people can get while at a price others can get to.

The problem is that we under price beers and those who think the bottles are worth a LOT of money, they use time instead of money to get them. Is that better for beer? HELL NO!

Now look I want a case of Bourbon County every time it comes out. I'll spend the time and or money for it. KBS? I want about 8 bottles a year, but if you price them at 20 bucks a bottle? I might get 1. I'll be honest I'd do my best to find a way to spend 15-20 a bottle for a case of bourbon count, it's THAT good imo. But there are dozens of rare release hard to get beers that I'd pass on because I can't afford them if they were priced like that.

In this world, the people who want these beers get them. There are some very well off beer snobs who would benefit over the rest of us, but at least I'd get my bourbon county and others would get their KBS or CBS or whatever it was.

In a world of limits and hard to get beers, I'd rather do this and get to try beers on draft now and then vs bottles when I can't afford the bottle.