The worst KBS price gouge?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKBassist, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2009 New York

Worst price gouging is when someone is crazy enough to pay these prices and tries to trade it $4$. Like your decision to overpay is my problem.

GRG1313, drbenzo and Nectar like this.
  2. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It sounds like you're gripe isn't with the price as much as it is with the store not limiting how much any one person can purchase. Seems like not allowing cases to be purchased would rectify your problem much more simply, and less detrimentally to others, than raising the price.

CBlack85 likes this.
  3. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

But if people can't buy cases at a time, then they can't have a bunch of trade bait or resell on Craigslist. Higher original cost means higher resale value, right? I think he's on to something.

4. bobhits

bobhits Maven (1,474) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

Hardly, you call a few friends to pick up a bottle, hit up a few stores. I've done it....and will do it again when things like bourbon county stout come out.

BTW my biggest issue is they need to make more of these beers, I have no idea how you do that given the demand is insane, but heck maybe it SHOULD cost more so they can expand and buy enough barrels to meet ever growing demand?

brewbetter likes this.
  5. pk18

pk18 Zealot (572) Jun 12, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

FTFY.

xShoWTeKx and cjoc83 like this.
  6. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So you're part of the problem that you're bitching about?

7. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

you might be right :wink:

8. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So basically your entitled to every beer, at a price you're willing to pay, at stores that are conveniently located to you, all the time?

9. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I do.

10. Scalzo

Scalzo Zealot (654) Feb 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

13.99 for a bottle and you had to purchase a founders six pack to qualify for the gouging

11. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I should have reworded that.

*EDIT* Just reworded it...

12. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Pundit (755) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Noteworthy gouging right there.

13. LambicKing

LambicKing Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Germany

Speaking in relative terms within this little microcosm of ours (about which my comment was intended): yes, yes it is. The moment beer is no longer a commodity in my life, BeerAdvocate ceases to exist in said life. Your point is moot.

14. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

That's much worse (in a relative sense) than the overpriced restaurant in the OP.

15. kell50

kell50 Pooh-Bah (2,272) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I was able to find 5 bottles of KBS between 3 different place around Charlotte.

1st stop- 2 bottles x $5.98 each
    2nd stop- 1 bottle x 6.99
    3rd stop -2 bottles x 5.99 each

All these places were limiting the beer but at these prices I wish I could of purchased more! Screw $35!!!!

fredmugs likes this.
  16. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Pundit (755) Apr 5, 2008 New York

I got three four-packs at Beer World in New Windsor, New York at $26 a pop. I felt this was great notonly because of the price but because, as a regular customer, they hooked me up by allowing me to buy so much. Beer Plus made up for it by hammering me so I guess it all comes out in the wash.

17. dumpman

dumpman Zealot (576) Feb 6, 2010 Rhode Island

They can kiss my ass I will not buy into the madness of these so called rare beers, plenty of quality beers can be purchased for a reasonable price ten to twelve dollars for a sixer is what price point i'm looking for.
    No 12 oz beer is is worth 35 dollars in my opinion.

18. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Or you could just drink cheaper, more readily accessible beers that are just as or almost as good and not worry about it.

19. gmendez1122

gmendez1122 Zealot (737) Feb 7, 2013 Illinois

Went to a place where you have to buy a 6 pack of founders all day ipa or 4pack of breakfast stout just to be eligible to buy 1 bottle of kbs

terrapinfan88 and Jonada like this.
  20. bobhits

bobhits Maven (1,474) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

I feel that's the goal. You set it at a price that the most people can get while at a price others can get to.

The problem is that we under price beers and those who think the bottles are worth a LOT of money, they use time instead of money to get them. Is that better for beer? HELL NO!

Now look I want a case of Bourbon County every time it comes out. I'll spend the time and or money for it. KBS? I want about 8 bottles a year, but if you price them at 20 bucks a bottle? I might get 1. I'll be honest I'd do my best to find a way to spend 15-20 a bottle for a case of bourbon count, it's THAT good imo. But there are dozens of rare release hard to get beers that I'd pass on because I can't afford them if they were priced like that.

In this world, the people who want these beers get them. There are some very well off beer snobs who would benefit over the rest of us, but at least I'd get my bourbon county and others would get their KBS or CBS or whatever it was.

In a world of limits and hard to get beers, I'd rather do this and get to try beers on draft now and then vs bottles when I can't afford the bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.