1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

This is Happening III: NYC Bottle Share (February 23rd)

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Franch, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Franch

Franch Member

Welcome back, friends.​

When: Saturday, February 23rd.​

Where: Top Hops Beer Shop, 94 Orchard St. (at Delancey).​

How to get there: F/M/J/Z to Delancey-Essex St., B/D to Grand St.​

What to do: "Just bring 2 or 3 cool bottles of beer that we can't all easily get in NYC and its surrounding areas. That's all there is to it. Oh and to have a good time and don't be a dick." --GuisseppeFranco​

The venue: Top Hops is a bottle shop and growler store. A relatively outdated BeerMenus of their growler fills but relatively up-to-date BeerMenus of their Belgian bottles is located here: http://www.beermenus.com/places/3846-top-hops-beer-shop. Please respect the venue, and buy some bottles or a growler fill. You can bring your own growlers. (I'll try to get an up-to-date tap list a couple days before for your information.) Also, whoever may be working that day aside from Ted (Eric, Scott, Paul, and/or Kevin) will be working hard setting us up with tons of clean tasting glasses and taking our used ones while also pouring draft beer and running the cash register for bottles for other customers. Please bring cash to tip them yourself or to participate in a tip pool.​

Food?: Top Hops does not serve food aside from snacks such as olives, jerky, cheese plates and big pretzels. Please eat beforehand or plan to leave to eat. Space is at a premium, so please do not order food for delivery or bring large/conspicuous food. Additionally, please do not bring your own snacks that are sold in the store (cheese, jerky, pretzels, etc.).​

Limit: There will be a limit enforced at 40 due to space concerns by Ted's request. Please do not sign up if you are not certain you are attending, and if you learn that you cannot attend, please delete the row from the spreadsheet and the BA calendar so others may take your place. If you plan to bring friends or others, indicate that on the spreadsheet. If there are 40 signed up, please place your name on the alternates list.​

Any questions, please ask.​
    brystmar, jbuddle, cosmicevan and 6 others like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Member

I can bring Peekskill Growlers (assuming growler station is up by then, it should be), and Rushing Duck Growlers. Let me know with reply here if these are desirable to others attending. Can also bring all the Sloop beers if anyone has interest in those as well. Let me know. Can't wait, bet we can make this even better than last time!
  3. wonderbread23

wonderbread23 Member

Looking forward to meeting some local BA's
  4. sobeleg

sobeleg Member

I will be heading out to San Francisco, russian river, and drakes this weekend. I will have some hopocolypse from drakes for this one. If anyone has any requests for Cali brews they wanna try, lemme know! I'll be bringing back a suitcase plus a 12 bottle shipper so I should have some room.

I'm open to pick up pretty much anything, just no bathroom stall growlers of PtY.
  5. unclejazz

unclejazz Member

That Peekskill IPA sounds delicious and I would love to try it. Are they pouring their bourbon vanill stout anytime soon?
  6. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

Definitely wanna try some RR sours/wilds (I have Consecration and Supplication). Good luck!
  7. Franch

Franch Member

:-/.

if you are up to picking up growlers of the non-restroom variety, the stuff that hasn't been bottled would be cool like row 2 hill 56, erudition, perdition...
    mdfb79 and sobeleg like this.
  8. totoropanda

totoropanda Member

What time does this start?
  9. slander

slander BA Site Editor Staff Member

They are definitely filling growls downstairs...
  10. sobeleg

sobeleg Member

I'll definitely look into it, it'll be tough to get a growler back home, since I prob won't put it in my suit case, and it wouldnt fit in the 12 bottle shipper I'm sending home.

Also, who knows, I may bring along a 16 oz swing top to relieve one of my younger pours into. I'd just be a little weary of 1. Getting caught and thrown out and 2. How a hand bottled PtY would hold up for 3 weeks.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Member

I am guessing that it will be on soon. I know Shotgun Willy will be up soon too, that one is definite. Personally I like Amazeballs as much as any of the other hoppy pales from them I have tried, just stupid good.
  12. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Member

Goddamit!!!! Every time you guys do one of these I'm on vacation!!!!! (First world problems, I know, I know...)
  13. Franch

Franch Member

whoops. it's on the BA calendar, not on the post.

When: Saturday, February 23rd, 12:30PM.
  14. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Member

This is going to be strictly enforced.
  15. Hessian257

Hessian257 Member

Awesome, looking forward to seeing everyone again.

I deleted the other (unofficial) spread sheet.
  16. brystmar

brystmar Member

These are always fun. Can't wait!
  17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

IN!
    cavedave likes this.
  18. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Member

Well at least we won't have to worry about you having a good time. The second part... :-D
  19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

i don't get drunk, i get awesome!
  20. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll Member

I can confirm
    brewbetter, cavedave, Franch and 3 others like this.
  21. ceight

ceight Member

So, is it February 23 yet?

I'm really okay with skipping the first half of February. I hate those little heart-shaped candies with stupid phrases on them anyway.
    cavedave likes this.
  22. Franch

Franch Member

who are you kidding? it's not even october 19th yet.
    brystmar likes this.
  23. Franch

Franch Member

40 people. in like 36 hours. amazing.

shut this one down for now. please use the alternates list if you're interested in coming. if you find you can't go or your guest can't go, please please please take yrself off the spreadsheet!
  24. Hessian257

Hessian257 Member

So I have been notified that I can get a hold of some Stone Vertical Epic 2011 aged in Red Wine barrel. Any interest in that guys?
  25. scott10010

scott10010 Member

Picked the wrong day to be too busy to check BA.
    Naterobsnyk4 likes this.
  26. NYCBUCKEYE

NYCBUCKEYE Member

Hey guys -

Looking forward to meeting everyone - although my wife and I met two of you on Sunday at Top Hops. We are new to the forums but hope you don't mind us joining on the 23rd. We will try to not be dicks!!!!

Cheers!
    Naterobsnyk4 likes this.
  27. Franch

Franch Member

go blue, from one of the two you met on Sunday. ceight sends her "go blue" regards as well.
  28. NYCBUCKEYE

NYCBUCKEYE Member

Ha - nice meeting you guys. Thank you for coordinating this get-together. Despite the obvious flaw, Jessica and I are looking forward to chatting with you guys in a few weeks.
  29. jbuddle

jbuddle Member

Just found out I'll have family in town that weekend so I am going to remove myself from the list. Hopefully someone on the alternate list can take my place. Have fun!
  30. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Member

Boooooo!
  31. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

What's the etiquette on bringing 12oz bottles? I just made a small trade for one Shaggy and one Silva Stout, and am gonna bring both, but wondering if people will get pissed there's only 12oz of each.
  32. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Member

Well certainly not everyone will get a pour but even with a 750ml bottle not every one of the 40 ppl will get a pour either. People wind up breaking up into smaller groups and bouncing around btwn them so I really don't think its too bad of form. Maybe someone else can/will bring a bottle each of those two and there will be enough for a few more people.
  33. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

Thanks, I'm also bringing some 750's, but I noticed that these two were big wants and I didn't want to horde them for myself. As long as I get a taste of both...
  34. mdfb79

mdfb79 Member

Got my parents and my girlfriend's parents in town that day so couldn't make it. Have fun! Hopefully can make the next one.
  35. Franch

Franch Member

regarding getting a taste of both -- there will be four people assigned to getting bottles for people and putting them in the fridge. no one should be opening others' bottles without permission -- you can definitely make sure you get to try your own beer.
    :(!

as a reminder, if you can't come, please remove yourself from the spreadsheet so others can sign up.
  36. NJOssie

NJOssie Member

crap... I can't do the 23rd!!!
  37. Rockstrongo

Rockstrongo Member

If someone ends up not being able to make it shoot me a message... I have some great beers that are dying to be shared.
    cavedave and Crookdrain like this.
  38. wittyname

wittyname Member

Mrs Wittyname can't make it so I guess first alternate is up and now someone else needs to tell me when I start to slur (and make sure I get in a cab back to NJ and not Greensboro VT)
  39. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Member

I would so rather wind up in Greensboro, VT than just about anywhere in NJ.
    cavedave, Franch and wittyname like this.
  40. Franch

Franch Member

but seriously, can anyone bring nametags
    cosmicevan likes this.