1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

This just made my day! (Boneyard news!)

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by eatabagofbooger, Jan 3, 2013.

1. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Finally, some vague details about Boneyard's plans to can their beers. Still a ways off, and I won't be surprised if there are delays, but man have I been looking forward to this for a while!!!

From beerpulse:

"Boneyard Beer plans to open new brewery with canning line in May

Boneyard began selling beer in April 2010 and steadily increased its volume since then. Lawrence said the brewery will likely produce nearly 10,000 barrels of beer this year and the new production plant will allow Boneyard to double that number in 2013."
    MADhombrewer, flexabull and sukwonee like this.
  2. not a fan of cans and the whole can craze but Boneyard is a kick ass brewery
  3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

HOP VENOM TO CANS THEN TO THE KAN. FUCKING DO IT NOW.
    bifrost17, woemad, sliverX and 2 others like this.
  4. Saw that today as well, great news! Now they just need to get distributed into Northern CA so I don't have to drive 4 1/2 hours to get my Boneyard fix.
    drgarage and maximum12 like this.
  5. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

why not?
    against better freshness, lighter weight, lower environmental impact? or is there another reason? ;)
    beertunes, exitmusic00 and kscaldef like this.
  6. The stigma of PBR also comes in a can I assume haha.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (745) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

If they do start canning, I hope you remember who your true, trusted, loyal friends are. :D
    beertunes and flexabull like this.
  8. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Hop Venom is the Heady Topper of the west coast. I need 16 oz cans on the shelf in SF now!
    petah12, Smurf2055 and flexabull like this.
  9. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

It's probably just me, but it seems that hoppy beer from a can ain't the same beast from the growler.
  10. I am all about the flavor and it might just be me but I have always found the same beer like ranger or fremont a-bomb taste better to me out of the bottle than the can. I think the only reason breweries do it is because they save money/make more money overall because cans are cheaper. The environmental impact is arguable, aluminum is mined from bauxite and the process of refining the aluminum to be ready for industrial/can use is extremely bad for the environment. I am not totally against cans I am just not a very big fan but if others like them that is good for the overall brewing scene.
    youradhere likes this.
  11. I've found it to be the opposite. At least with SN, I've thought that both Pale Ale and Torpedo seem to taste fresher out of the can. A bottle can be light struck, that isn't the case with a can.
  12. Why would it matter if it's a hoppy beer or not?
  13. youradhere

I don't know, just does. Cheap beer tastes better out of a can to me, RIS tastes OK (like ten fidy), but for some reason IPAs taste bad. It's like somewhere in the canning process the hop oils are killed off, or maybe the cans I try are old, either way I'm not a fan of IPA in a can. It's kind of like a TV dinner, sounds good and that's why you buy it, but then you are sad while you are eating it because it just isn't scratching that itch that got you to buy it in the first place.
  14. True, everyone has different tastes. I tend to prefer cans over bottles, just tastes fresher to me. And usually growlers over both bottles and cans.

But I really like the portability of cans. The idea of taking a couple of RPMs hiking with me is pretty awesome.
    66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  15. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

How many examples are you basing this on? Heady Topper is awesome. I found Deviant Dale's kinda meh. I don't think I've actually had Ranger or Gordon/Gubna out of a can. Are there many more canned IPA that I'm forgetting about?
  16. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

• Caldera IPA
    • Maui Big Swell
    • Anderson Valley Hop Ottin
    • Hop Valley IPA
    • Two Beers Evolution IPA
    • Avery IPA
    • HUB IPA
    • 21a IPA
    • 7 Brides Frankenlou
    • Fearless Moljnir
    • Ft George Vortex
    There's probably a few more, but that's most of what's available in Oregon.
  17. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Add a few for WA:

Joseph James Hop Box
    Central City Red Racer
    Wingman IPA
    7 Seas Ballz Deep

AND HOW DO YOU FORGET ABOUT COLD SPRING IPA?!
  18. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Show off... it's like you work in a beer store or something :p
    maltmaster420 likes this.
  19. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

At least I'm a helpful show off...most of the time.
  20. Maybe libbey can add something to this since he is the Boneyard guru.
  21. youradhere

I'm basing this on my preferences and experience- what are you, my graduate professor looking for at least three verifiable sources? If I say I don't prefer IPAs in a can, then I don't like IPAs in a can, man.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  22. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

a friend of mine was down at boneyard a few weeks ago. they told her they are aiming at selling cans by june-july (i certainly expect a delay on that estimate) and only plan to can RPM, at least at first. they also told her they are leaning toward 12oz cans.
    66jzmstr likes this.
  23. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

Hell, before talking to him, I'd never even heard of Boneyard. Then again, I live in Spokane.