1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

This place needs more threads

Discussion in 'Germany' started by MattSweatshirt, Jan 18, 2013.

1. cu29

cu29 Aficionado (215) Wisconsin Sep 26, 2005

Jack, you made me want an Alt Bier, so I had to run to the store and pick up a bottle of Uerige DoppelSticke today. I have just opened it and am enjoying it as I type! ( I can really feel the alcohol -8.5%- as it goes down....slightly warming.....and delicious!)

And while I was at the store, I followed my own advice and picked up a bottle of Ayinger Weizenbock. Guess what my next beer is? :D

JackHorzempa likes this.
  2. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

You Sir, have an alcohol problem. :D

I mean, how can you operate on just 2 bottles ???? :p

mjtierney2 and cu29 like this.
  3. steveh

steveh Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

One of my most fond memories is waiting for friends in the hotel bar where we were staying in Munich. The bar had Hacker-Pschorr Weizen vom Faß -- and, they had .25 liter glasses! I was able to have a short one while my friends shook off their hangovers from the Oktoberfest the night before.

4. 0,25l Glasses for a Weissbier?
    The only other example that comes to my mind for a "small" Weizen is the "Rothaus Weizen Zäpfle", it's 0,33l, but I don't think there's a special 0,33l Weizen-glas by Rothaus for that!

5. steveh

Yes. They looked just like the regular Weizen glass, but miniature.

Hearing that, I suppose these could have been .3 (I'm a liar for .05l ;)) , but they definitely weren't the .5 liters.

6. I know that 0,3L Weizen glasses do exist, but I’ve never seen one used :D

7. Miniature you say?
    [​IMG]
    I got one of these Weizenglass-shaped tasting glasses from a beer festival called "Bierbörse", it's 0,1l :eek:
    Does that qualify as a "small Weizenglass"?

8. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Saw this pic of Brauerei Faust's website: a 0.5L, 0.3L and a 0.1L Weizen glass for sale.
    [​IMG]

9. Stahlsturm

I wonder what the point of a Weizenglass smaller than 0.5 liters is. I mean, Weizen, unless on tap comes in 0.5 liter bottles. Always. So you need a glass for that. If you want a smaller serving because you split a bottle or fill in less on tap, just don't fill up the damn glass. Having 3 different glass sizes is just utter beer geekery...

10. steveh

You answered your own question. A quick Weizen was (is) a nice treat.

11. Stahlsturm

You seem to have read only half of what I wrote... :p

12. There is that great sense of humor on display!:D

Prost!

13. steveh

Nah -- I just found it less than practical to fill up a .5 liter half-way -- and you call yourself a German! :D

Of course, what I find more interesting is that I know you don't even like Weizen -- so why do you even care? Leave my little glass alone! ;)

14. Paulaner Hefe-weizen comes in 330ml bottles.

15. steveh

I was just thinking about this too -- we get Franziskaner in .33 bottles here as well, maybe even Weihenstephaner, HB and Ayinger too, but I haven't paid that close attention. Schneider's Aventinus Eisbock is the smaller bottle too -- one of those miniature glasses are starting to look good!

16. boddhitree

It's nicer to get beer in 0.5L bottles in Germany. :p

PancakeMcWaffles and Stahlsturm like this.
  17. Stahlsturm

Hell Yeah !

18. Stahlsturm

Must be an american oddity. I think breweries would be burnt down by angry mobs wielding torches, pitchforks and biersteine if they dared starting that around here. They still hurt from the backlash of trying to introduce 0.33 Pils bottles (bad) and 0.4 liter pub glasses (much worse).

19. I'm not American. Lots of German beers do come in 330ml bottles though, even ones sold in Germany. I also have a Hopf Hefeweizen in a 330ml bottle, not to mention the Ayingers I got, 3 of which were in 330ml bottles (Weizenbock, Pils, and Celebrator).

20. Stahlsturm

The infection has spread further than I thought then. Where in Germany do you live ? Here in Ostbayern the only bottles not .5 liters I have ever seen are Pils.

21. I live in the UK. But the Ayingers were ordered from a German company. The Hopf as well was not made for distribution outside of Germany I think as it had not a single word of English on it.

22. Stahlsturm

So clearly they make them, they're just not getting stocked around here.

Your nick looks Welsh.

23. Yep I live in Cardiff. For university though. There's actually a German on my course though, who maintains Bavarian beer is the worst in the world. Then points me to Hasseroder simply because it's from Eastern Germany. :confused:

They probably do the smaller bottles for export for more profit per litre or something like that.

24. Stahlsturm

Bavaria is almost universaly hated by Germans. We are different and not shy about being ourselves. Like it's our fault that they lost their stones and their identity, hahaha. My verdict would be, "Hasseröder = Fernsehbier". Case closed.

boddhitree likes this.
  25. steveh

In the words of an old Berliner I once heard, "The only good think about Bavaria is that it keeps us separated from Austria."

Probably why I found it amusing to greet everyone in Berlin with a hearty, "Gruß Gott!" Great looks I'd get. :D

26. steveh

There's an argument here? I suppose -- it's nicer to get beer vom Faß in Germany -- and guess what? I can get many on tap around here. Only trouble is, you ask for a "short" Weizen and they give it to you in a shaker pint glass. o_O

Good side of that? They don't realize that their "short," which they're charging less than the .5L, is about the same volume as the .5. Sometimes ignorance is useful. :D

27. boddhitree

I have to back him up on this. On many German websites which sell beer online, the German brewers are selling "premium" beer often in 0.3L bottles but at 0.5L prices or even higher. I've seen examples of this at Bierzwerg, Biershop-Bayern, and a few others I can't recall, especially if they're highly hopped with Ami-hopfen (read imported) or oak barrel aged. I think most of BraufactuM's beers brewed in Germany are sold in 0.33L or 0.75L. I provide this link to see yourself.

28. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

My $0.02...Rothaus makes 330 ml bottles, and Eichbaum just introduced two or three new beers in the 330 ml format. Per ml, I don't think there is a price difference in the 330 ml Rothaus vs. the 500 ml of the same beer, but I'm not sure, I would have to double check that. Would that make it a discount double-check? Joke for the Americans there. Other than that, the beers I've seen available only as 330 ml bottles have been strong beers - Celebrator, Aventinus Eisbock, and I think Uerige's Dopplesticke. I don't know if Ayinger sells 330 ml's domestically outside of Celebrator, and I have never seen a 330 ml bottle of Weihenstephaner. Almost everything sold in bottle form here is 500 ml (and I like it that way! :) ).

Regarding premium pricing, I don't know. Braufactum's stuff is expensive in-shop as well. And Ami-hop beers in America are pretty expensive, relatively speaking...do you ever see what they're paying over in those General Forum discussions? For whatever reason (maybe ingredients, i.e. Ami-hops?) it's a lot more expensive that German beer is in Germany. So maybe it's not the bottle size, I guess is what I've saying. Again, just my $0.02 and maybe worth even less than that.

29. boddhitree

So it's not just size? It's how you use it?

mjtierney2 and Stahlsturm like this.
  30. Stahlsturm

I can imagine. :D

31. Stahlsturm

Drinking good beer is a lot more of a nerdy subculture in the US. You'll hardly find a German who'd even turn his head (except in dusgust, maybe) at some tripple hopped imperial rabbit dropping super ale. We drink beer to drink beer, not to stun our peers into shocked disbelief. Paying obscene prices for some obscene combination of innocent ingredients for the sake of testing the outermost limits of your taste buds and good taste in general is the mark of a subculture. Different standards apply there. Prices are higher because they can, not because the market demands it. Beware of the Craft Bubble :D

boddhitree and Ungespundetes like this.
  32. mjtierney2

That's what I like to tell myself!

33. My friends from Duesseldorf would reply - "If you see him."

boddhitree likes this.
  34. steveh

I hear he is often seen at Starkbierzeit! :D

boddhitree likes this.
  35. But the thing with Rothaus is, only the small 0,33l bottles are the "Zäpfle" bottles! And that's their main thing (Tannenzäpfle, Weizenzäpfle and Eiszäpfle), I don't know if they do even sell many of the 0,5l bottles, I know the "Pils" exists in 0,5l, but I have never seen the Weizen or the Eiszäpfle in 0,5l bottles!
    And you know what, sometimes I really like the 0,33l bottles, not for Weizenbier of course ;)
    But on most student's parties around here a Tannenzäpfle is 1€ and that's pretty much the best deal ever :)

36. mjtierney2

The Eiszäpfle in 500 ml bottles is either the Märzen or the Export, I forget which.

37. cu29

cu29 Aficionado (215) Wisconsin Sep 26, 2005

Haha, I laughed out loud when I read the "discount double-check" reference! Yes, I'm an Ami, and a Wisconsinite, and I follow Green Bay. Very funny stuff! Very funny! :D
    Though I guess most here are more like o_O or :confused: regarding your comment.......

mjtierney2 likes this.
  38. Stahlsturm

Starkbierzeit is a religious service and even heathens like me obey it :D

steveh likes this.
  39. mjtierney2

That's how most of my comments are received, actually...

40. You're not in Ba-Wü, are you? On their home turf they sell oceans of beer in 0,5L in 20x crates, like every other brewery.