1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Thoughts on beer caves / walk in coolers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Aug 7, 2013.

1. These are so deceiving. They are so easy to miss because they arent so obvious and you think they are for employees only. I went to one store like 10 times before I even know they had a beer cave. Yeah I know Im dumb. :D
    ScottyG, kemoarps and TheGator321 like this.
  2. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

it's men's version of walk in closet. but yeah anywhere that has them gotta look could find hidden gems
    ScottyG and kemoarps like this.
  3. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

I would rather everything be displayed in doors. Walk-in coolers don't seem like a great addition unless they are quite large, room sized with shelving etc. Otherwise they just make it harder to find what you want.
  4. The one at the store I got to is more used for 24-30 packs of BMC. They have regular cooling systems for the cold bomber/sixers of craft. So I rarely go in, unless I plan on buying some water.
    xk6m6m5x likes this.
  5. Yes they arent all created equal. One I went in was kinda small and it didnt have much that wasnt on the shelf and in the regular cooler but another one I went in was huge and I swore it had a lot of stuff that wasnt on the shelves or in the cooler up front.
  6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I've only seen one and that's where they stored 12 and 18 packs of BMC.
  7. I don't think you're dumb. I don't usually walk into a liquor stores cooler unless it's marked as a "cave" or there's a door or something. something to give me a clue.
  8. Yeah thats the thing, they dont usually do a good job at marking them. A huge sign would be nice.
    Eriktheipaman and ScottyG like this.
  9. Don't care about the store. Want one in my house, preferably with a teleportation pad, connected to a couple dozen breweries.:rolleyes:
  10. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (610) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

A store i frequent has (had) a decent one with one side of the cave being the racks for the glass doors into the store. They would put up a list of the stuff in there on the outside so you didn't have to go in, but there were always randoms of singles and "old" bombers on top of the shelves where you could find some amazing stuff.

csb...Then some d-bag started partaking in product in the beer cave and leaving empties around in there. Pretty much ended that beer cave.
  11. My local Total Wine has one where they keep their Pliny.
    dianimal and Siggy125 like this.
  12. AwesomeSquad

AwesomeSquad Initiate (0) Missouri Sep 30, 2010

My wife loves them, they are too cold for me to browse for 40 minutes.
  13. The walk-in cooler here in Texas is a genius thing. I spend hours in there so I don't have to run my AC at the house.
  14. 1fJef

1fJef Aficionado (175) Maryland May 4, 2013

<wasnt me I swear
  15. At one of the places I frequent a couple of times a year, there's a walk in cooler and doors on the outside. But if you walk inside, the fresh stuff is at the back and the older stuff is near the outside doors. They also have some real gems in there but if I want to explore I have to go in and out so I don't freeze my butt off. I never remember to bring a hoodie with me.
  16. I work the walk-in cooler/beer cave at our store and I have to say that it is fantastic on all days except the chilliest days of winter. We keep the big cooler just for domestics (both craft and BMC) and then door coolers for specialty and import. It is funny because yes, some people walk in and ask "am I supposed to be in here?". I once found a guy who was tripping on something and shirtless just lying on the floor making odd satisfied noises (obviously I had to send him on his way).

I think that it works well because ours is big enough to hold a lot of 6ers, 12s, and flats but it is still a hassle when too many people bring their shopping carts in because the aisles aren't too big. Most customers seem to like the beer cave but a few (mostly older women) complain of it being too cold.
    Eriktheipaman and jskennedy like this.
  17. Every place that has one around me, that's where the cases of macro stuff are.
  18. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

A couple places have them around me and I think they're great. That's usually where they cold store craft 12 packs.
  19. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

There is one by me, the beauty of it is the place has quite a few young hotties working there (owner owns strip clubs as well) I make sure to ask questions about the brews in the cooler so they have to walk in there. Well you know the rest (juvenile yes, but effective)
    powpig2002 likes this.
  20. Wines and More?
  21. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

My favorite store keeps all the bmc in their large walk-in. Keeps the "cavers" outta the way of the connoisseurs. I went in there one time and was trampled by cave zombies.
  22. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (180) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

The place where I saw 3x12pk's(cans) of SNPA. Hidden in a corner. A little gem.
  23. Not them but theirs is small and kinda sucks.
  24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

The four stores I really frequent all have bomber rooms. Three out of four are huge, two are always well stocked, and the smallest one actually uses two doors for bombers and has some shelves in the back where the rest of the large format bottles are, but he also has broken up highh dollar four packs where you can buy singles of pranqster and old raspy as well as 375 duchesse and saison dupont. I love it.
  25. I've only been in one really sweet one at a Shop Rite liquors up in Franklin, NJ.

They had a legit cave entrance that slid up automatically when you walked in. It was basically a side section of the walk in fridge where they had some nice bombers for purchase. Nothing outstanding, but it was freaking cool.
  26. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Jenifer Street Market in Madison WI has an awesome walk-in cooler. Its so cold that they have a coat rack outside of it with XXL fleece jackets for customers to use. LOL
    anticipation23 likes this.
  27. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

Or easier to find what others missed ;)

I go to a ship that still feeds me good brews, usually something I thought was long gone.

I wish there were more of these around
  28. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Savant (475) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

Our store has a walk-in. We have a big flashing Coor's Light neon that informs you that, yes, you can enter here. The automatic door consistently scares the piss out of people who aren't paying attention. Two racks of import shelving are on the left immediately when you walk in. Two racks of craft shelving are dead ahead. The rest is domestic, both on three racks of shelves and in case stacks. Three doors on the outside to access wine and domestic singles and crap like Four Loko. Craft singles are at the front of the store in two sliding door coolers. It's all pretty easy to find since our store isn't all that big. The walk-in definitely has its pros and cons.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I love stores with walk-in coolers. My wife hates them though and immediately dashes away because "[she's] freezing!"

Always good for finding that certain beer that you missed out on, since they don't get as much foot traffic if the store also has shelved beers outside the cooler.
  30. They're great. People are funny.
    gpcollen1 likes this.
  31. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (405) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

Yeah, I am trying to figure out how they could be a bad thing. Sure, some will be better than others for a variety of reasons but they should be better than beer sitting around warm/hot on a shelf.
    commis, smutty33 and jesskidden like this.
  32. They are like walking into the North Pole. Cold and full of wonderful things
  33. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

This!!!!!!

Cheers
  34. commis

commis Savant (320) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

I found a keg of Highland Tasgall in one once. They don't make it often and it's the best Murkin Wee Heavy I've ever had so I snatched the bastard up stat for 65 bucks. (sixtel)
    Ever since then, I'll always love them and I'll walk through them every time I see one. Never know what kind of shit might be hiding in there.
    dynamitekid likes this.
  35. Most beer caves I've walked into are used for 30 racks of BMC and keg storage. Give me regular shelves and fridge doors, please.
  36. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

I like them. I just have to remember to dress accordingly :cool:
  37. Most of the ones in my area only sell the 12-packs. But usually you cannot find anything different in the cave than you can find on the shelf around here.
  38. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Perhaps my username makes sense now?
    papat444 likes this.
  39. danpam1024

danpam1024 Aficionado (175) Florida Oct 31, 2012

I've been going to the local Total Wine for years. I just recently discovered their beer cave when a 4-5 year old girl came strolling out of it looking for mom. "Daddy is taking too long!"

"Too long?" "Doing what?" I asked myself. I rushed in thinking it might just be the doorway to Xanadu or something.

Turned out to be full of kegs (some craft) and cases of BMC.
  40. What store?