Thoughts on cellaring, collecting, hoarding, trading and selling beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by krl2112, Dec 26, 2012.

1. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Go ahead sell them for a small profit. It's your beer and your friends. Me, if I find I have too much, like I do this very minute, I just give bottle to friends who I know will enjoy it more than me and sooner than me. Earlier this year, upon learning that a much younger cousin was into craft beer, I put together a nice little package of aged bourbon county stout and Abyss for him.

skinsfan likes this.
  2. That's awesome. I actually turned my cousins onto craft a few years ago. One of them who is really poor(well, just graduated college) surprised me for X-MAS with a 120 and a Bitches Brew. Totally surprised me! Pretty cool, I guess it really does come back around.

3. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

Are there really that many people who are vocally against this? Regardless, those people should be ignored and fall into the "need-to-worry-about-themselves" category. I wouldn't worry much about what people who get butthurt about such a thing have to say. Some places have limits, some don't. If you want to drive all over town or are able to get your fill of a beer at one store, more power to you.

One thing I would advise to the OP since you're admittedly new to the "beer scene": do yourself a favor and don't get too caught up in every limited release and flavor-of-the-month beer. There are so many great beers that don't require hoops to be jumped through to get. Also, if you're lucky enough have good, local brewpub(s), enjoy their beers more. If they're not connected to a commercial, production brewery then their beers are technically limited and rare, so you can kill two birds with one stone if that's important to you.

FriarTuckInLuck and krl2112 like this.
  4. kraddel

kraddel Aficionado (140) Belgium Jul 20, 2012

i have found my very equal-minded person !
    cheers to that !
    i myself baught a lot of fou foune. i LOVE the beer! some are to drink when i want to, some are to keep and try to see what it has become , withoud getting to pay it 10 times more than ( in a few years or so ) or not being able to find it anymore. and yeah, some of them are for trading.. how else will i get to try a rare american brew ? we have as good as no import here in belgium, i havnt even seen heady or zombie in stores here. i do try to collect the top 50 . ticker? wouldt say that
    curious? hel yeah !
    collector ? even more!

but when a belgian ( where i live) beergeek would'nt get a hold of fou foune , becouse i bought more than most people, i'd be happy to invite him / her to come and crack one @ my place. same for tourists !
    i feel like i gotta take my chances, but i'm not into being selfish .. every rare brew i open, i open with friends.. hell, i even gave away half of my botle bourbon BA dark lord to a guy , for free !
    beer is ment to get people happy, so why not make em happy ?
    cheers you guys and happy new year

krl2112 likes this.
  5. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I just did some quick research, and in turns out you and I are distant cousins! And by the way, I like beer. Feel free to put together a package for me as well! Seriously though, that is a pretty cool gift for your cousin. Cheers

6. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I'm from the Chicago area. If I saw Coors cans all over the place I would assume the people were not from Chicago, or anywhere near Chicago. I've never met anyone who drinks Coors anything who is from the Chicago area. I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen them. If it were Miller Lite cans, then sure.

7. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

alright... I can live with that.

8. How long did it take to type all that out?

9. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

His wife just gave birth to their first child, a son, this weekend. I'm trying to figure out what kind of "bundle of joy" I can put together.

skinsfan likes this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

1. Fri. 9 of us enjoyed some 2009 IRS. Glad I hoarded it so that we could. Have 2 more we will be trying next year. Man I suck for hoarding them don't I?
    2. I bought 8 BCBCS over the course of five days at a semi-nearby store. Could have bought them all that first day, or even that second visit. Didn't. 5 of them are going to trading partners who otherwise wouldn't get them due to no distro. One already is consumed with friends, the rest will soon be consumed with friends.
    3. I stood on line to get the limited release beers I have, and I never drink any of them without sharing, and I trade others to get different beers to share, and I never do it except $4$.
    Say it loud,
    I hoard and I'm proud!
    Why do you care?
    I hoard and I share.

11. And legality aside, had I not gotten incredibly lucky to stumble upon BCBCS in a store recently, I would have happily paid a ridiculous premium for one of them on eBay had Shaun not made a big stink. Time and effort are worth more to some than others.