1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Thoughts on New Belgium's TV ads?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tballz420, May 23, 2013.

1. They have a commercial on national TV! Sellouts!

Lulz, just kidding, hopefully obviously. I think it would be good for the industry if some more of the larger craft breweries could get the word out to the people who get their worldviews from the tell-a-vision

MSmooth, SatlyMalty, salzar and 3 others like this.
  2. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (580) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

tough sell for some small businesses, i.e., balancing monies for production/wages/taxes with advertising bucks. But, I agree with your general premise that those crafts that have the $$ and the production capability might want to try some television exposure (you know, a little David/Goliath beer advertising action...)...

joelwlcx, craigo19 and Tballz420 like this.
  3. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I think he's referencing the much hated on post that I made regarding Sam Adams. I basically *joked* that any brewery with enough money for national tv ad campaigns has surpassed its craft label.
    -flame suit on

4. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (530) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

i love puck rock!... i hate all bands people like!.... i hate puck rock!

^^ idiot beer nerds

Belial, jRocco2021 and RochefortChris like this.
  5. Puck rock?

6. Just playing around buddy. I do think added exposure for some real beer would do the industry well, though

atomic likes this.
  7. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Looks like they are trying to become the hipster beer of choice.

Moose90 likes this.
  8. Asics

Asics Savant (335) Washington Jul 28, 2012

Good luck with that, PBR has that market on lockdown!

9. The amount of beards that craft beer attracts is staggering.

10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i always find it kind of weird how people who never see actual hipsters seem to think anyone below the age of 40 and not wearing a white baseball cap and khakis or something is "a hipster". the people in this commercial look more like goatee'd "beer dudes" and random happy go lucky county fairgoers. more like hippies than hipsters... regardless of the time period you're trying to impose the term on. you're more likely to see these types of people at a bed and breakfast in VT than down in old brooklyn town.

re: the commercial, meh. shitty like all other commercials. re: new belgium, some of the lips of faith beers are excellent.

aasher likes this.
  11. denver10

Ha, I was thinking adding a reference to PBR in that post.

12. I wish they'd come to NJ.

trentbrown89 and Jonada like this.
  13. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

I say good for them. It's nice to see them be successful in this industry enough to put out this commercial. God bless America and New Belgium for making a dream reality.

Theniz, JuicesFlowing and DelMontiac like this.
  14. Congratulations to them for their success, but I wish they made some beers I like a bit more. Fat Tire is Flat Tire.

GetMeAnIPA and 5thOhio like this.
  15. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

At first, I said: "What is this blasphemy?"

And then I said: "You go, New Belgium!"

On the other hand, I would also like to see a commercial for Ranger, too.

Tballz420 likes this.
  16. denver10

Hipsters only live in Brooklyn? I am sure they have a high percentage of them but I am sure I saw plenty when I lived in Philly a few years ago, and elsewhere since i left. Those people were way too clean and and prettied up to be straight up hippies, though I do agree they do share some hippie qualities to them. The flannel shirts were more grunge rock influenced, the ironed shirts preppy influenced, etc. And I don't see how you could argue against some of those mustaches.

17. Pahn

they're kind of hipster mustaches, but they're more "beer dude". beer mustaches seem to range from nu metal / that guy from anthrax to early 1900s strongman (or just wilderness mess).

18. I think I'm a craft beer hipster because I shave daily. No facial hair because, like, it's so ironic bro.

saucy626, mjshearer1, Levich and 4 others like this.
  19. Yeah it's all the rage in Canada. Hockey rockers!

ryhayes, DovaliHops, mh007 and 5 others like this.
  20. Wow that is selling out. I think the rule of thumb is, advertising for a brewery-craft, advertise for a specific beer-not craft. ;)

21. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Of all the beers they could spend money to promote, they pick Fat Tire? Why not something a little less ubiquitous? (sp?)

22. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (375) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

It is their flagship. Why not advertise what will be available almost anywhere your beer is sold.

Bitterbill and CORKSCREWFISH like this.
  23. bmurray10

bmurray10 Savant (360) Texas Feb 28, 2013

Honestly, why hate on New Belgium? They are just doing their thing....leave them be. If they want to make a stupid commericial.....who cares??? It doesn't really affect the true craft beer drinkers, but may influence more people to cross over and try something other that BMC type brews. I don't really think it is a big deal. I remember back in the day hearing people worrying about freakin 311 (the band) selling out...lol. Who gives a shit? Drink what you like and understand that unless you go out and spend your own money and start your own brewery, stop complaining when poeple make a stupid commercial. It's not that big of a deal anyway. Half of you wouldn't walk up to a register with any NB beers anyway, so don't tell them how they need to market their product. JMO

lat49 likes this.
  24. Well the commercials aren't for us on this site. I'm willing to bet that 90-95% of the people that drink bud, coors and miller basically have no clue what flat tire is. And since that is their most popular beer, it makes sense for them to start there.

There is really no point in spending millions of dollars promoting some limited run beer that will earn less than a million dollars in profits even without using commercials

adamjthompson00 likes this.
  25. I don't think anyone has hated on NB so far

26. bmurray10

Read through this carefully then

27. syppr

syppr Aficionado (170) Florida May 19, 2011

Nobody drinks Fat Tire anymore. It's too popular. (Thanks, Yogi).

Bitterbill, JimKal, Tballz420 and 2 others like this.
  28. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I drank a La Folie two days ago.... I am no longer able to say negative things about New Belgium

29. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It's an AMBER. What do you expect?!

30. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

I drank a fat tire today and i could tell something was different about it. Between the hops and malt you could totally taste notes of corporate and sellout.

Kinsman and brenty0man like this.
  31. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I've never had a Fat Tire beer. Would gladly try.

saucy626 likes this.
  32. I think New Belgium is good.
    I think New Belgium is bad.

They're just an acceptable cheaper option to me. Fat Tire was a good gateway to styles between pale ale and stout. Certain Lips of Faith are pretty good, even great. Their IPAs seem to me always to lack in one quality or another. Some of their seasonal stuff is fun.

Bottom line, their advertising will not effect my opinion of their beer. I don't think BA is the market they're trying tap.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  33. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (505) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

15 years ago I was in high school; and this was the beer to drink. Kinda like when everyone liked Vanilla Ice or New Kids On the Block and you were the one who was grossed out. Still can't sniff Fat Tire. Like I had too much Cuervo, and couldn't drink taquila again

34. bmurray10

They make decent beer along with their broad audience commercial. Again, who really cares? We drink what tastes good, and if a brewery makes a commercial......oh well, not really crossing my mind as I walk down the isle looking for my beer selections. If you feel like a brewery sold out, you may be thinking too much about keeping craft beer in a small group of people instead of being a real BA and spreading knowledge. You may not agree when it comes to commercials, but why does a brewer need to only be a secret amongst a small group? These brewers don't have to sell to only a few markets. When you invest your own life savings to launch a business, then you can tell all the breweries out there how they should conduct business. Until then, just buy and drink what you want, and live and let live...JMO

nsheehan and EJLinneman like this.
  35. Pahn

what's fat tire taste like anyway? i've never had it. that and daisy cutter are two beers i've heard about for years and years and never had (doesn't make it to the northeast outside of trades, and people neither trade for nor extra fat tire). is it like boston lager or something?

i know i could read reviews, but i mean: "what other beer does it taste like?" not "does it have a bouquet of medjool dates and crystal 40 with a subtle hint of dandelion greens?"

checktherhyme likes this.
  36. Pro Brewers and other industry folk love PBR, at least in Michigan.

37. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I agree.

Tballz420 likes this.
  38. I hated Fat Tire but I like the idea of getting the word out

bmurray10 likes this.
  39. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Where has Sierra Nevada been in all this? Certainly they can afford to pony up for some national TV exposure. We should see more of this. The craft industry needs to shake this underground mentality and get in the game.

Tballz420 likes this.
  40. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Savant (450) Colorado Dec 24, 2010

New Belgium: A marketing company that just happens to make beer.