1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Thoughts on New Belgium's TV ads?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tballz420, May 23, 2013.

1. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Watch it. :p Some of us had beards before they were "hip". :(

BlowstotheBody likes this.
  2. wyatt

wyatt Savant (290) Louisiana Nov 18, 2009

Exactly. I hope everyone who has negative things to say about NB has had this one.

EJLinneman likes this.
  3. They do plenty of experimental and collaboration beers that often times do not fly, but then they do beers like La Folie, Le Terroir, Eric's Ale, etc. that are freakin great! The regular line-up is all very well crafted as well. Blue Paddle is a go to for me...when we get it in southern IN.

100% employee owned, also, check out their benefits offered to employees; they are phenomenal. They care about and take care of their people. They also take environmental stewardship very seriously.

I am a big fan for the reasons above.

saucy626 and nsheehan like this.
  4. I actually like that commercial and the atmosphere it promotes!

ryhayes and saucy626 like this.
  5. I'm still waiting for NB to come to NJ. Would be great to run to the store and by La Folie or Transatlantic Kriek whenever I want.

6. Believe it or not I like ambers. Full Sail Amber is a solid standby for me, I gravitate towards many ambers at low to mid level brew pubs, and I find them to be a safe regular baseline. Fat Tire, though, something about the biscuit flavor malt, the flat hop profile, or whatever else it may be, is probably about my least favorite amber of note.

7. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

You're from CT, so take a ten penny ale, cut the caramel in half and kill the nose completely. Give it a hint more lager type bite at the end then that British ale yeast. That's fat tire. Good amber ale that lacks depth of flavor, but tasty enough and better than the alternatives with high drinkability.

Pahn likes this.
  8. NB is about to come to Florida. Should be in August or around then. I have only had the Ranger IPA and thought it was good. Very interested in trying some of their other selections. The commercial I am sure is because they are growing their territory.

9. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I think it's funny that the commercial may not be marketed toward BA members, but I could swear I've seen some of the faces in the commercial in some BA members' avatars...

Either that, or beards are like the black stereotype of: they all look the same.

10. I read this and literally laughed out loud. So true. Hahahahahah

11. Also this made me never want to drink their beer.

12. and others grow beards because we have ugly faces. Trust me, I'd shave if I thought I'd look better.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  13. Me too. It kinda has a unicorns and rainbows feel to it, but it's nice. It doesn't come off as arrogant or snobbish - just right. Kinda like how the forums here used to be haha. (Cue old-timer sitting on his porch and saying: Back in my day....)

ryhayes likes this.
  14. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Why? Seems to me all they did was make a fun commercial about their flagship beer that accurately depicted their target audience. What is their not to like about this commercial? Don't we want to see craft brewers succeed and at least make some dent against the mass-marketing of BMC?

Beerandraiderfan and nsheehan like this.
  15. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (310) California Jul 25, 2008

I thought it looked like a Portlandia-inspired beer ad.

mechamifune and RattleheadKV2 like this.
  16. I didn't see them put birds put on anything...

395er and PalatePilot like this.
  17. A few things:

1) Buying airtime on national TV is mostly a losing proposition. There are still markets, but it's a dying breed. Online video is the way of the future (as evidenced by this very thread). I have no cable (or NB distro) but I've still seen their commercial.
    2) Good for them for doing it! So much of the attitude in this community is "more hops" and/or "more sour" but mostly "more rare". It reminds me of me (and my friends) in high school. Each new band was cool until some jock started talking about it or (worse!) I saw them in the pit.

Then I came around. I realized I would much rather have stuff like Jimmy Eat World and Modest Mouse taking up airtime on the radio and more people going to see Brand New rather than Christina Aguilara. I can't say it's objectively better, but it's better.

Same goes for New Belgium. Good for them for providing another option and making it known. It may not be barrel aged or even dry-hopped with Citra, but at least the don't own 46% of the beer market.

3) Beards. Yes, lots of them.

18. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (570) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

Yeah, I get what you mean and what the original poster meant on this thread...tv ad and you're too big for your britches (wink, wink, ha-ha)...

what a world...

we want our favorite beers and breweries to get recognized and enjoyed by a bigger audience, yet some of us get too wrapped around the axle when this actually happens because "the exclusive club" has been breached (e.g., tv ads, wider distribution, et al) and something has "changed" because things are now "mainstream" (even if quality and taste aren't impacted)...well, like you and the original poster of this thread allude to, it's pretty damn inane to give-up on good beer just because it's been adverted on tv...!!!

jumpin' jesus on a pogo-stick...think i'll pour me a guinness...!!!

19. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (485) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Very honestly, can you give me your take on Rampant? I think it is a great, balanced IIPA. It could use refinement, but I think of it quite highly. (Plus it's $9 a 6er.)

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  20. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Some of these breweries (Sam Adams, New Belgium, Sierra Nevada) that are large enough to advertise make beers than anyone can drink and that are exponentially higher quality than any BMC. Fat Tire, Boston Lager, and SNPA seem to "gateway" brews into the craft game. The more exposure the companies get via advertising, the larger the craft beer crowd gets and everyone is a winner.

21. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Meh...I don't watch TV, thus I'm totally out of the loop as far as commercials go.

But this one doesn't offend me. I'm not a huge fan of New Belgium, but I certainly don't have anything against them either. Some of their Lips of Faith beers are pretty good, and I like some of their year rounds. I just don't typically seek them out. BUT, I definitely think that they fit every definition of craft beer, and it's good to see craft beer getting mainstream attention. And I think they did it in a fun way. This commercial was so stereotypical, it was almost self-deprecating and ironic. Kind of an exaggerated caricature of the craft beer scene.

Props to 'em, I say.

22. lat49

lat49 Disciple (60) Minnesota Aug 27, 2012

it seems once they go national. the quality goes on the down turn no more small batches there into the high volume production and by cutting corners to save $ - need to answer to the shareholders

23. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

By shareholders you mean themselves...

24. lat49

I had bought some sam adams years ago and i thought it was a pretty good beer - then i recently had some ( 6 pk boston lag) i could just of well picked up a 6 pk of water or bud for as much favor as it had .

25. lat49

exactly; it's like my boss told me " We're not charity , we're here to make money" money changes everything.

26. Going to be the next Sam Adams soon. How dare they publicize their success! Haha.

27. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Sam Adams' beer usually does lack flavor, but Boston Lager is preferable to any BMC, IMO.

28. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

Well they are doing more then that I keep seeing their ad on Hulu called "making up" where a couple is sitting next to one another and the guy is about to drink his Fat Tire in a glass, pauses then gives it to his girlfriend. Can't find on youtube yet, but it looks like they are going for online advertising as well.
    Edit: Found em

sjverla and nsheehan like this.
  29. NB is employee owned, but any brewery has to have making money as a goal. Breweries that don't make money stop making beer.

palmdalethriller likes this.
  30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Big LOL from me on this fine Sat morning. Thanks.

31. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

They are building a new East Coast brewery in Asheville, NC. When it is up and running you'll get your chance to try Fat Tire and the other NB offerings. I, for one, like most of what they make. Fat Tire, like most amber ales is pretty mild on the palate (toasty malt rather than hoppy) and doesn't get a lot of love on BA.

32. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

There are no hippies under the age of 57. Not understanding this point creates the rare situation of proving the point.

leedorham likes this.
  33. lat49

well Imo i'm not going to shell out $17 -$18 for a 12 pk for just a sub beer or a ok beer at those prices, i have bought NB at $8 $9 12 pk i can live with that . but the only one that was any good i thought was the Ranger, i did pick up some of that for $1.99 in a 4 pounder pk ( 4 - 16's ) now thats a good deal.and i thought for above avg beer

34. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Ha! Magic Hat has that market cornered in my part of VT.

35. I honestly don't predict this happening. I don't know the New Belgium people, but I've met and/or interviewed quite a few peeps in the industry, and even the big ones don't seem the types to ever cut corners for the sake of profits. The only beer company that is publicly owned is Sam Adams, and Jim Koch runs such a tight ship there still that they're not going to be skimping for the sake of profits (sorry about your disappointment with Boston Lager).

It's one of the attitudes I really love about the industry - the dedication to quality products over profits, even as they grow.

36. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Unrelated, but Boulevard has some neat commercials during local sports games.

37. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

TV production is expensive, and media time even more so. I don't care for many of NB's beers, Fat Tire in particular, but if they were going to do this I think the timing is right, with the "employee owned" story. Everything about this spot is old news to anyone that drinks craft, but it's a good story if they're trying to grab attention of new drinkers. Especially with the Third Shift nonsense out there.

38. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

That seems kind of harsh given that there are a lot of exactly the type of "breweries" you described coming on line now. Again, I'm not a huge NB fan, but they seem to have been in the game for a long time, and legit.

39. Glad to see NB doing this ad. It is well made and represents them well. I have no doubt that every employee over there had a say in this commercial.

People love to hate on New Belgium, how big they've gotten, and the beers they produce. I've never really understood it and just chalk it up to people hating on the big guy. I think a big reason they don't appeal to many BAs is due to the fact their regular lineup is full of "boring" "to style" beers. It took them years to make an IPA in Ranger, and another 5-6 years for an IIPA. They've stayed true to their core model and its been very successful.

And the tour at New Belgium is time and again the best brewery tour I've ever been on. Their taproom is also one of the most well run places I've been too, especially considering the amount of people who visit. Overall, New Belgium does everything right except satisfy most BAs

Beerandraiderfan and JimKal like this.