1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Thoughts on this True TDD-3 deal?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by cpferris, Dec 21, 2012.

1. cpferris

cpferris Aficionado (220) Indiana Jan 22, 2008

I am currently on my second Danby of the last 11 years or so. I have had no real issues with the units, but have always wanted to go bigger. I have not been actively shopping for a bigger unit, but I always keep my eyes open.

On my local craigslist I discovered a True TDD-3 (three 1/2 barrel capacity) for $500/obo. The selllers bought a building which previously had a bar and are liquidating the inventory. She provided me with the serial number and it appears to be a 1999 model. There unit is essentially bare (no towers, taps, beerlines, CO2, etc). She said they have not used it, but they did turn it on and the compressor did kick in and it started to cool.

I have most of the peripheral stuff mentioned above...so I woundn't have to buy much extra. But wondering if I should be concerned about the age? I know the commericial kegerators are noisier than the residential ones, but that is not a general concern. I figure I need to check the door seals. But even if those are bad, that doesn't seem like a costly fix.

Any other things anyone might recommend I look into? I know that model runs about $2500 new, so it seemed like a decent deal (especially of I can get it less than $500). But at the same time I could probably build a new freezer conversion for that price. Anyone thing of a distinct advantage of a True model over a keezer?

Any other general thoughts on this deal?

Here's a pic of the outside.

[​IMG]

2. Since the unit is essentially bare, you're buying the logical equivalent of a chest freezer with a temperature controller. You could pick up a brand new consumer level chest freezer for less money than this thirteen year old unit, or a used one for way less. The obvious advantages of this unit are that, as a commercial model, it can likely be repaired when necessary (many consumer models can't without modification - no valves, etc.), and parts should be readily available, so age may not be terribly significant. It also has a built-in drip pan, and, frankly, it looks kind of cool. And there's plenty of space to chill other stuff (I could be wrong, but I suspect you won't have three 1/2 bbls in there very often)

That said, I can't really comment on the brand, itself. Maybe someone with industry experience can fill in those blanks.

3. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Along with Bev-Air, True is one of the most respected producers of commercial bar refrigeration.

I would personally jump on this with both feet...$500 is a steal, even if there is a little age on the unit. You should easily get another 20 years from this box.

#merrychristmastoyou, #wishingIwasinindiana

4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (390) New York Sep 1, 2004

uh, yeah. buy it. make sure it gets cold, then buy it. if you have $500 to spend on a monster kegerator this is by far your best choice. there is a reason they cost $2,500 new. something like that is built for a busy restaraunt or bar. there are details that homeowners don't really need, like the industrial hinges, heavy gauge steel, locks, built in drip tray, stainless everywhere, industrial compressor and drop in replacement parts for everything.

and like Mike said, its f'ing cool. that's my opinion fwiw.
    you are going to need some help moving that beast.

5. Just a thought -- are there any unique electrical requirements that your home may not currently provide in the area where it will be installed?

6. cpferris

cpferris Aficionado (220) Indiana Jan 22, 2008

Thanks for the tips. I have not seen the unit in person yet. I think I am going to setup a time and have them plug it in well before I make it out there (maybe have them set a glass of water inside) to see how well it cools. Owner seems very helpful and would probably be willing to do so.

Mike...good point about electrical requirements. If it requires a bigger plug that may be a problem based on where I would need to put it.

7. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

All
    Electrical needs are normal: 115/60/1, 1/3 HP, 8.5 amps

8. Do it! That's a good price. One of the best things I did in my garage bar. Plenty of space and it looks cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plenty of room, and mine is only a 2 barrel, using shelves on one side the other will fit, a half keg, And one corny, or 3 Cornys.
    [​IMG]