1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Thread for newbies?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by drew7777, Jan 11, 2013.

1. drew7777

drew7777 Aficionado (120) Virginia May 10, 2009

Is there an FAQ or best practices thread for newbies? Should I go with a kit or grain? Can I do this on an electric stove in a 5gal pot? Are any styles easier for first timers and should I expect a decent finished product? I'd prefer to do something hoppy, but for some reason by inclination is that a brown may be easier to start with.

Thanks in advance.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (775) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Here's the FAQ:

www.howtobrew.com

Seriously, this forum doesn't have FAQs. But the above link will answer 95% of beginner questions.

3. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

A hoppy brown ale or amber, brewed from an extract with steeped grains kit would be an excellent way to start. The equipment needed is minimal and with good sanitation and temperature control for fermentation, there's no reason your first batch won't be great.

pointyskull likes this.
  4. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (365) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

Are you John Palmer(or on his payroll)?:confused:

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

No, he's with the idea that it's easier for someone to read a book that, for one is free online, and two; will start them from the basic and explain the process easy enough.

It answers question that people will ask later as a newbie, before they even think about asking them. I think all people should READ a brewing book from start to finish before they jump into the whole process. I did.. I read the newest copy, before I even heated my first water to steep some crystal in it.

Made my move to all grain pretty much smooth as it could be and I never looked back.

JimSmetana and JrGtr like this.
  6. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (415) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

7. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (415) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

+infinity

8. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Read the first section of howtobrew to start.
    5 gallon pot on an electric stove will work for a extract partial boil. Do a search on the difference between partial and full boils you might not have a choice. I would say start with a beer that is not higher than 1.060 OG and chose what ever style you want excluding lagers(need to be fermented at low temps). Buy your kit from somewhere that has fresh ingredients.

9. Actually, not too long ago they (you know who "they" are) tried to divide this forum up into Noobie and Advanced...it didn't work or we'd still be asking, "Does this post belong in the Newbe or Advanced section?"

Seriously, Palmer's How To Brew is a good starting point and provides some common language if nothing else. To get a good feel for the brewing/personality disorders though...this is the place : )

10. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (365) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

Yeah dudes, just joking. I actually read several homebrewing books (Including Palmer's) before starting and I found I was very well prepared when I finally took the plunge and bought a kit.

11. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

Newbie threads, and some duplication of topics, is inevitable. I frequently respond, mostly with the same basic advice. When I get sick of responding, someone else will. HB42 is a prime example of the phenomenon of someone who gets sick of offering the same advice over and over (I think, I don't want to put words in his mouth). Shit happens. Newbies ask questions. Nothing will change about that.

That being said, a FAQ or newbie questions sticky might not be a bad idea. I can generally type fast and might help writing such a document if asked. I've done it before elsewhere on different topics. It's not that hard, really. Linky the best posts on whatever topic, and make a FAQ page that suits your forum's needs.

CBlack85 likes this.
  12. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

That or just point them to a site that is fully set up for nothing but homebrewing.

13. AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  14. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

Honestly, those would be amongst the first links provided in a newbie's post/thread/page/FAQ. Before you can be an effective homebrewer, you should at least be aware of the general information on styles and beer 101 provided in those links.

See, I've already started the FAQ page! Maybe I should get a job*... :eek:

*say it ain't so!

15. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Before I did my first home brew I read Palmer's book and found it very informative. I also took a class which drove home most of the book's highlights. I personally found that a kit was the easiest way to start (I used Brewers Best.). Now I feel comfortable enough to do 2 half batches next weekend from recipes. The most important tip I can give you is that you can't be too careful with sterilization. As long as you don't cut any corners there, you'll be fine.

My 1st batch was a Scoth Ale because I was told that ales are easier to brew (plus I love a good Scotch Ale.). The kit will tell you that the beer will be drinkable a few weeks after bottling. Let me tell you, the longer you let it sit, the better the beer gets (to a point.). My batch was green at 2 weeks after bottling, drinkable after 6 weeks and really tasty at 5 months.

16. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

As others said, howtobrew.com is an excellent starting point, but don't be afraid to ask newbie questions in this forum. It happens all the time. Someone will have your back.

17. After you are done reading, start with an easy recipe. Maybe a pale ale. A kit would be good also so you can get the process down before developing your own.

18. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (450) Missouri May 9, 2004

Never forget: That question you've answered or seen answered 20 gazillion times? It's the first time asked by the person asking. They're legitimately seeking an answer. If you don't feel like answering, don't. Myself, when I'm on (which has been rare lately) I always try to answer noob questions, because I haven't forgotten what it was like to not know everything there is to know about everything ;) Think how much you'd enjoy it if you went to a doctor, asked them a medical question one could easily find on WebMD, and they said "look it up, douche, I don't have time for that".

And by the way, pointing the OP to HowToBrew.com is a great answer for this particular question.