1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Three Floyds' Barrel Aging Program

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by beerborn, Feb 27, 2013.

1. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (435) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

the real gem in that lineup besides baudoinia was the BA kentucky common. fucking outstanding beer.
    rjacobs6 and CMB2012 like this.
  2. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

The only $50 beers I have any interest in trying are the vanilla DL and Murda'd Out.

I wouldn't even drop $40 on a BA Behemoth. I'd rather have a case of Zombie Dust and $5 in my pocket.
  3. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

You're welcome
  4. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I 100% agree with this. FFF is pricing these BA beers just because there are enough people willing to pay the $35-50 for a bottle of Murda'd Out Stout or BA Behemoth or whatever. And I say, good for them there are people who are willing to pay that premium. But it makes no sense, I'm better off buying a bottle of single malt with that much money... it'll last me longer than beer!
  5. jdhende

jdhende Savant (345) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

Exactly the barrell just overwhelmed the beer. Not half the beer the non barrell aged version is.
  6. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Having had many of the FFF barrel aged releases, without including the BA DL variants (which are, for the most part, phenomenal) I can say unequivocally that Murda'd Out Stout, BA Behemoth 'wick' Cherries, and Cognac Moloko are my standouts, and Murda'd Out Stout is in the top 3 beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting.

Comparing these releases with Central Waters, of course, is difficult. The converted cost of CW BBBW to a 750 ml bottle (assuming a $14 4-pack, after taxes) is $7.40. Is a bottle of BA Behemoth (at $40) more than five times 'better' than a bottle of CW BBBW? Tough to say, but one thing is clear - when you open up a BA FFF bottle, be it good or bad, the overall experience is just different when you are with your tasting group. Call it what you will, but there is a different feeling when you crack open a potentially overpriced bottle of nail polish, or delicious BA FFF gold. Tough to put a price on that.
  7. I've yet to see anyone mention it in any of these threads but Cabra was one of my favorites of BA FFF which doesn't start with dark lord.
    Anonymous1 and jegross2 like this.
  8. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

So they'll release it for only $20 then in the bottle, eh?
  9. You sir can taste the hype ;)
    Lansman likes this.
  10. nben60

nben60 Aficionado (105) Indiana May 30, 2011

I cant blame FFF, they are doing what almost every other company wishes they could do. They release a product mid week and sell out in a few days. They see product selling on the black market for triple, so they raise prices. Product still sells out in a few days, and still sells for triple on the black market. Why would any company want to miss out on easy profits? Just because one product cost 5 times more than a similar product, that doesn't mean it is going to be 5 times better. I liked a lot of their ba beers, not necessarily worth the price tho. I would gladly drink a free glass of any FFF ba beer, except the sours. They have world class brewers creating amazing beer, but it impossible to live up to that crazy hype and please every customer. No matter what the product is, haters gonna hate on whatever is cool and popular.
  11. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Some people always feel it necessary to rail against the establishment, and 3 Floyds is about as easy of a target as you can get. Now it's just fashionable to be a 3 Floyds hater.

Just like people that hate Notre Dame, the Cowboys, and the Yankees.
    nben60 likes this.
  12. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (350) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I hate the Yankees because YANKEES SUCK!!!
  13. BertSugar

BertSugar Aficionado (215) Indiana Feb 11, 2007

Not at all. Could have stood some more time in the barrel, but otherwise nicely calibrated.
  14. You look new, and I think you're wrong. There are many here who have loved Three Floyds for years and think their schtick is getting old. There are far too many great options available to risk $30-50 on one bottle of beer that is less often drank than hoarded or sold.
  15. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

November 2011 v. March 2012. Where's my popcorn?
    mbockstruck30 and CMB2012 like this.
  16. I have no idea. Go look for some?
  17. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

I wonder how much great beer is being ruined right now by people "cellaring" for some special occasion :(
  18. sbxx

Way too much.
  19. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

My hate for Notre Dame has nothing to do with establishment and everything to do with religion. ;)
    WoodburyMN, mcc1654 and JakeT469 like this.
  20. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (400) Illinois May 6, 2012

So what are you breakin out for the next tasting ;)
    mdomask likes this.
  21. mdomask

Bud Light Platinum.
  22. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

Ive had a few of them but not any ba dark lord. The murda'd out may have been the best beer ive ever had. Was it worth $50? I bought 3. Otherwise, the cabra was very good. But probably over priced when bramble has half the price and better. Ba topless wytch was not goodev and bully was a joke. I think part if the reason many fail is because the base beers are way too thin for the barrels. Every other fantastic ba beer usually at least 12%. Most of these ba specials are well less than that and the barrel takes over.
  23. sbxx

This is why I'm hesitant to try many of them. Well, that, combined with the price.

I love Alpha Klaus, so I'm interested in the BA version... but at 6.5%, I just assume it's gonna be mostly barrel. Has anyone here had it?
  24. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Supply and demand, how does it work?
  25. mdomask

Had a bottle of the plum version pretty much all by myself at Christmas. Got it at last year's DLD, so it had about 9 months on it.

It had a lot of the base beer's spices coming through. Very tasty. It wasn't barrel-heavy at all, really. I'm really hoping i can pick up another one sometime this year. I'd love to have BA Alpha Klaus be my Christmas Eve drink year in, year out.