1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Three Floyds: Best Year-Round Beers?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Alextricity, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

http://www.3floyds.com

My dad's going on a brief business trip this week to Chicago and I plan on asking him to bring back some 3F's ... OBVIOUSLY I'll be asking for Zombie Dust, but what else? I'd ask for all of it, but I have a student's income. I figure I'll get two different six-packs, one being Zombie Dust.

I'll be going to Chicago in May/June myself anyway, so I can get some more stuff then. :9
  2. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (200) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

All of them....honestly. If limited I would opt for a couple of DIPA bombers, Arctic Panzer Wolf (first choice) and Dreadnaught (second choice). If you like barleywines, Behemoth isn't year round, but it is out now.
  3. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Alpha King and Gumball Head.
  4. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Illinois Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Oude Gueuze?
  5. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

3F? I like the geuze, the Kriek, and the Golden Blend. Seriously though, Alpha King and Gumballhead are good if you like hoppy pale ales and Behemoth should still be available if you like hoppy barleywines.
    zrab11 likes this.
  6. Barrel aged Dark Lord
    dman5400 and Duffman929 like this.
  7. RWNay

RWNay Savant (435) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

I was at FFF last week on my way home from a business trip. Was told that they have been out of Zombie Dust for weeks and that they don't expect another batch until sometime later in February.
  8. Alextricity

AT FFF as in AT the brewery? I figure there could be some around in Chicago. Even if there isn't, I'd gladly settle with Alpha King/Gumballhead.
  9. MattRudy

MattRudy Aspirant (25) Indiana Feb 4, 2013

Alpha King is easy to find and a great beer. Usually ~$11 a six pack. As ja1022 said, "opt for a couple of DIPA bombers." They are fairly readily available, too.
  10. RWNay

RWNay Savant (435) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

Yeah, that was at the Brewery. I'm sure your Pop may have some luck finding it around town, but its usually a hard one to find. He shouldn't have any problems with Alpha or Gumballhead.
    Alextricity likes this.
  11. YoungLad

YoungLad Aficionado (170) Indiana Apr 27, 2009

I've also heard from "reliable sources" that there will be no Zombie Dust for an extended period. So - set your sights a bit lower, and have your Dad pick up some fresh Gumballhead, and a bomber of Arctic Panzer Wolf (if available). If no APW, then I would go for some fresh Dreadnaught. And if no fresh Dreadnaught, then Alpha King.
  12. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Maybe building up inventory for DLD? There seemed to be a sea of it consumed last year
  13. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Someone may have stumbled on to WHY they don't bottle date ;)
    Bad_Trader, mjohnson17 and zrab11 like this.
  14. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Nick Floyd actually spells it "geuze":
    [​IMG]
    "Fonteinen" must be how you say "Floyds" in Dutch. :rolleyes:
  15. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Ask him to belly up and try a couple of the new brews.
    He can rate them for u! :)
  16. They told me on twitter last week more zombie dust "next week or so."
  17. YoungLad

I heard it from a friend who....heard it from a friend who.....told me that....

I hope you're correct, but from what I've heard there is a general shortage of Citra hops, and that's the reason for the lack of production. I don't have a source to quote in case anyone wants to impeach me, just the local scuttlebutt (but from someone who I believe).
  18. Alextricity

Well, I wound up telling him to get some year rounders, since I don't want him looking around at several places to find things.

He has an account here on Beer Advocate with nearly 1000 reviews and he claims that he has never heard of 3Floyds, despite it being the top brewery in the world for 5 years now (According to RateBeer.com).
  19. I would try anything I could get my hands on.
  20. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Alpha King is a very good one to get. I actually wonder if I might prefer picking up a case of this rather than a case of ZD the next time I go to FFF. I find that ZD tends to fall off after a few weeks, although I'm not sure if Alpha King would be much better. I know it's a combination of Centennial, Cascade and Warrior hops though as opposed to Citra for ZD. But I haven't had a case of Alpha King to hang onto- so I'll think about a case of that along with a sixer or two of ZD..
    mbockstruck30 likes this.
  21. Alextricity

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I really don't mind too much if he can't find Zombie Dust, as there are still several other beers (nearly all of them) that have stellar reviews. I don't know why they haven't distributed to Michigan yet... I hope they do it soon. I mean hell, we give them most of OUR good stuff..
  22. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

if he is going to the brewpub tell him to go on a tuesday..around noon..and bring a big wad of cash, and a lighter.

shelf beers, gumballhead, zombie dust, dreadnaught, panzer, behemoth
    if he does not see them at the store tell him to ask the "beer guy" for floyds beers, because some of the most popular ones might not be on the shelf
  23. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

This is the correct answer.
    Huntington228 and Hugonaut13 like this.
  24. Alextricity

Those are the two I'd expect him to come back with.
  25. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I can confirm that Zombie dust is going to be on hiatus. The one place I always get it from said they are cut off until march I think. I got one of their last cases...
  26. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (400) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

put me in the minority, but I absolutely love Arctic Panzer Wolf....definitely one of my favorites of their year round beers. I like i better than Dreadnaught....
  27. awhipker

awhipker Aficionado (195) Indiana Oct 15, 2010

I love APW and Dreadnaught, but for me it's much easier to spend $10.99 on a 6pk of Alpha King than a bomber of APW or Dreadnaught. In all honesty you should be satisfied with any of their year round releases, especially if you've never had any before.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  28. BeerMe2002

BeerMe2002 Aficionado (110) Ohio Dec 28, 2010

Zombie Dust back in stock at the pub
  29. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I'm not sure who your source is, but apparently it was a short hiatus. As mentioned in the previous post the brewpub just tweeted out that Zombie Dust is available for carryout again. Perhaps, it just won't be distributed for a while. OP, if your dad has a car and some time, I'd suggest a drive to the brewpub. It's well worth the 1/2 hour drive. He'll have the ability to get the largest variety of brews available. Not to mention, he'll have a chance to enjoy a couple of great drafts and some good food while he is there.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  30. YoungLad

Remind me to never trust my source again....
  31. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (285) New York Jan 19, 2013

Never trust your source again.

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  32. YoungLad

Thanks!

Because I live 10 minutes from 3FFFs, I made the executive decision that it was an "eat out" lunch day. My better half and I went to the brewpub, had lunch, a couple of pints, and bought a case of ZD just because it was there.

I've got to say - they had just tapped a cask keg of ZD today, and it was so fresh and delicious....Something about a bright and hoppy IPA is accentuated on cask. Had to have two.

Hope everyone is jealous now.
    chanokokoro and ColdOne like this.
  33. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

ISO: Six Floyds beers
    robboyd and ColdOne like this.
  34. Huntington228

Huntington228 Disciple (65) Apr 15, 2012

Alpha King, Gumballhead, Zombie Dust. Can be mixed and matched in any order...
  35. Alextricity

Dad said he's going to the brewpub tomorrow morning. I told him to pick up Alpha King, Zombie Dust, and Gumballhead.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  36. mbierz

mbierz Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 6, 2008

Your Dad sounds awesome. Keep reviewing burritos.
  37. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Your dad is a good man. Make sure he stays for some of the food at the brewpub.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  38. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Very cool. You better crack a few of those bottles with him.
  39. GBH, RtB, AK, ZD
  40. Tell him to hit the pork belly.
    chanokokoro likes this.