1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Three Floyd's brew pub busy?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by mnb, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mnb

mnb Zealot (85) Illinois Dec 19, 2008

Anybody know how busy the brew pub is on a Saturday night around 6:00 pm or so?

A group of us are heading down there this coming Sat and I want to have some idea of the wait.

Hopefully everyone will be at the great taste and not there.

Thanks.

2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

It will be packed. Prepare to wait anywhere up to 2 hours.

dvelcich likes this.
  3. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

You should probably consider getting there between the 2-4 period. You'll still have to wait, but it won't be quite as bad.

4. Not an exaggeration.

5. lurchingbeast

I was once told on a Saturday night the wait was 2 and a half hours.

I laughed and went to my regular bar.

I advise going on a weekday before 5 pm. It is one of my favorite brewpubs when you have a seat.

6. mnb

Does your whole party have to be there to get seated?

Meaning, could we drop someone off to get on the list and then the rest of us come a little later?

7. Maybe, but if your group isn't there when the table is ready you're probably SOL.

8. lurchingbeast

You're whole group better be there when they call your name. Or else.

9. mnb

Do they actually ask if the whole group is there? If we have 5 and 4 are there they won't allow some in to join their friends?

10. apocalypsezombie

They could care less. If your group is not there yet you are inside, they're going to make them wait in line just like everyone else. This is Three Floyds world, we're just living in it.

11. lurchingbeast

Correct. Me and a friend got inside and got our table (which seats 4) and our other two friends arrived before a waitress even came by to get our first order, and they wouldn't let them in to join us.

12. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Sounds like they go to Toronado School of Customer Service.

grachdar, DrAwkward82 and Redrover like this.
  13. apocalypsezombie

If you ever make your way to Three Floyds, you'll understand.

14. lurchingbeast

Actually, the bartenders at FFF are quite friendly.

15. evilc

What if you have to get something out of your car - can't come back in? Is this because the place is setup poorly and has choke points with crowds?

16. mnb

Well that sucks for sure. So that being said. If your group gets called and they are not all there, can you just continue to wait outside till they get there and still be at the top of the list or do you start at the bottom again?

17. apocalypsezombie

why would you have to get something out of your car? All you need is your wallet and your cell phone.

18. evilc

I have forgotten my phone before in my car. I also have a wife who can't ever figure out if she is hot or cold and send me out to get her jacket.

19. lurchingbeast

I've never heard of any issue leaving to get something out of your car, or smoking even.

20. coffygrinder

coffygrinder Savant (255) Illinois Nov 18, 2010

This place is terrible when it comes to customer service. Good luck on a sat

WITTBEER likes this.
  21. lurchingbeast

Can't answer that specifically. When we asked the door man if we went outside to wait with our friends how long the wait would be, he said over an hour. We left.

22. apocalypsezombie

I've never had a bad experience. Ever.

MarkIntihar and chanokokoro like this.
  23. evilc

Would be hard with what's on tap

24. apocalypsezombie

well, the wait staff aren't going to bow to you. If you respect them, they'll respect the hell out of you. Some people expect servitude.

sleuthdog and chanokokoro like this.
  25. lurchingbeast

No problems with the waitresses or bar tenders.

They have entrance issues. Not all of them are their fault.

I find it odd that if 2 people get in quickly and get a table that seats 4 people, their other two friends can't join them when they show up a minute later. It's not a capacity issue; those seats were going unused.

26. evilc

I don't think "hey my wife is running a bit late, can she meet me at my table?" is expecting someone to bow to me. isn't that a little extreme? Also - where in the customer service/business world is it taught that the CUSTOMER must earn the SERVERS respect first? rofl

Prager62 likes this.
  27. apocalypsezombie

I'm just talking about the service once inside. You can read about a lot of poor experiences people have had inside the brewpub.

28. coffygrinder

I guess when I tell them a keg of gumball head is bad, they taste it and agree it is bad and still ask us to pay for the bad beer its a little bogus. People there are ignorant just becasue if you leave they know more people are comming right behind you.

29. lurchingbeast

Did you drink the bad beer?

apocalypsezombie likes this.
  30. apocalypsezombie

That's exactly right. They can pick and choose based off their experiences they're having as an employee because you're there for the product, not the service. The product keeps people coming back.

31. evilc

Place sounds like Dick's Last Resort in San Diego!

32. apocalypsezombie

except A LOT more Metal!

redblacks75 and cadizkyguy like this.
  33. coffygrinder

No we didnt, it was bad. It wasnt that it was bad beer, it was the fact they wanted us to pay for the bad beer.

34. apocalypsezombie

What was wrong with it?

35. coffygrinder

They told us that they didnt clean the keg lines in awhile and gumball head hasnt sold so well in the past week or so. Honestly I think it was just a bad batch, not the keg lines, If it was the keg lines it would have been in only or two beers, but thats just a guess, I dont know how long the keg lines are

36. jeonseh

jeonseh Savant (485) Indiana Oct 14, 2007

As these guys have mentioned, Saturday is absolutely the worst day to go. Not only is it packed for a Saturday, they usually have tours which brings even more people to the pub than would on a normal Saturday.

Regarding the service, FFF has some peculiarities about getting in, long waits, etc. However, once inside, I've never had a problem with any of the servers or bartenders and I'm a pretty frequent customer.

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  37. coffygrinder

I do like the new beer buying location they got, it cuts down on traffic inside the bar

38. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

You all be careful bad mouthing FFF. 'bout to be a whole lotta butthurt in this thread with the quickness.

39. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I love FFF threads. Half the people hate on them, the other half sing their praise.

gpawned likes this.
  40. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

FWIW, with regard to the waitstaff - was told last Friday by a server (not a bartender) that they are not told anything when it comes to details on upcoming beers or when a keg is/was/will be tapped, etc.

The exact quote was: "I work here about 60 hours a week, and they keep us in the dark on any of that information because they don't want bad information being put out there."

I don't know about you guys, but that makes a whole lot of sense to me. They aren't trying to be coy, they just don't want FFF employees putting out any misleading info. Cheers for that!

MarkIntihar likes this.