1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Three Floyds Goes to Europe

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by radium, Apr 26, 2012.

1. radium

radium Aficionado (130) California Feb 17, 2010

Check the full article here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...en-a-chicago-brewpub-20120425,0,7354010.story

First, why would he expand to Europe? Yes, going across the pond could mean more collaborations, more exposure to the European craft market (if it exists), and potentially more revenue. On the flip side, by distributing your beers WEST to the other half of the country, I could imagine your revenue would be much higher. Why? We don't get Three Floyds on the west coast, and if we do, it's old or through a trade. It seems to make more sense to distribute to the west coast first, then go to Europe. I get that he's english, but why not distribute to California/Oregon/Washington first?

Really? Have you checked out Deschutes, Cascade, or Hair of the Dog lately? They've been putting out great beers - Cascade's Tap-It-Tuesday barrels or ANY of their sours, the Abyss, Adam, Doggie Claws (and/or barrel aged versions). Maybe I'm missing something...
  2. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

How about east to NY? Baby steps.
    marshmeli, jzeilinger, DanE and 10 others like this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Maybe he's afraid of the competition.
  4. I thi
    I think it would make sense to start in New Jersey before going into New York.
  5. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

:eek: Maybe Struise and Mikkeller convinced him...it really doesn't make sense, its like CCB that ships to europe sometimes. They're not even on any of the coasts, I'm sure if they went to NYC and Boston they'd sell a lot quicker and make more than shipping to Europe. I'm still scratching my head trying to understand the reasoning behind this. I get that he likes to travel but his beers are doing the extensive traveling, not him although I guess he would go there to promote or something like that like Koch did.
  6. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I'd check out their company slogan for more info.
  7. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Breweries distros make no sense...CCB went to NYC before it expanded to GA, which is right freaking next to them. I don't get why they'd send the beer further when it will all get gobbled up just as much in the state right above them:confused:
    chardlogic and schwaeh like this.
  8. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

It seems you guys are talking about DISTRIBUTING to Europe while Nick Floyd is talking about opening a brewpub with Mikkel...
    azorie, larryi86, ChadQuest and 12 others like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Doesn't Three Floyds have super super small distro in the US? You have such a high demand here (I'd kill to be able to pick up ZD off the shelf here), why would you skip everything else here for abroad?
    DanE likes this.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

That he's an ignorant asshole? That's the only way you could say that.
    FarmerTed likes this.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

12. lurchingbeast

I am just as shocked as you are that nobody who posted bothered to click OP's link.
    larryi86, ChadQuest, scoppi and 7 others like this.
  13. stxSS07

I'd love to be able to pick up ZD off the shelf 40mi away from the brewpub!
    BarryMFBurton likes this.
  14. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

I get angry at the internets, too, sometimes.
    gory4d likes this.
  15. lurchingbeast

Nah, I haven't been angry at anything in at least an hour.
    4balance likes this.
  16. WHY AM I SO MAD ABOUT THIS!?
  17. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Good for Chicago!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  18. generalnotsew1

generalnotsew1 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012

Don't they distribute to Japan also?
  19. sethbradley

sethbradley Disciple (70) New York Feb 14, 2012

Why aye man he's a Geordie. :)
  20. Even tho I would love more distribution to the west coast, I can't hate on them for wanting to spread their beer to more places around the world. But, I can't even come close to agreeing with him about Portland. So much great beer there and enough breweries trying new things.
  21. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Wow, wtf? Portland is the same beer as twenty years ago? Way to diss on every brewery in the whole town like a jackass.
  22. He's already got some of the most unique hoppy beers in the US. FFF has never had reliably good sours, which Europe is famous for. They want our hops, we want their yeast!

He's not concerned about ramping up his bbl's produced a year, he can meet demand in Chicago alone with his current amount of 30,000 bbls. The only way he can increase production is to increase the amount of breweries, and he cant control everything if he has to build a brewery in California (for example).

He already makes as much money as he feels is necessary (or he'd increase the prices). He's clearly not in it for that (it helps, but not his goal), as stxSS07 said, refer to their motto!
  23. stxSS07

First time we've agreed 100% since I've seen you on here. I think that deserves a brew at DLD!
    ADTaber and SpottedZombie like this.
  24. I'll be at the Marriott bottleshare the night before, already have a lot of plans to meet up with as many BA's as I can! It'll be nice to put faces to the names.

Personally, I think Nick is making a great business move if he's planning on collaborating with Mikkeler (or any prominent European brew house). That will increase brand awareness massively in Europe, might plant a lot of seeds early (there was talk of the craft beer scene being underdeveloped/nonexistent in Europe) in a relatively new market. Also, this adds to the allure of FFF. I've noticed that during my time here, it seems the harder a beer is to get, the better it is perceived to be once acquired.

It's funny that people are complaining about FFF not distributing to the US outside of a small area, but the same thing could be said for essentially every other high-quality brewery (Deschutes, Alpine, HotD, CCB, etc).
  25. Well... many unhappy faces here... but I at least would be happy as hell if Three Floyds decided to open up a brewpub in Copenhagen... or anywhere in Europe really.
    Fux and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  26. Come to SoCal. Jolly Pumpkin is here and you're closer! We don't have to have everything, just a few beers at least!
  27. I'd go for a FFF brewpub in Amsterdam. It would be good times.
    You guys would be happy is well if Cantillon opened a pub somewhere in the US, right?
  28. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (485) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

exactly. the hard-on this entire forum would have would be just absurd. I live in Chicago, and while I'm not happy that it's a virtually impossible to buy Zombie Dust off the shelf in this city, I can't really imagine that FFF opening up a joint brewpub in Europe is gonna be a huge drain on FFF's production or the distribution to my city (or anywhere in the US). I think it'd be really cool for one of our top breweries to become more accessible to the European market, and doopledoopiedoo is totally right, if Cantillon opened up a brewpub in the US we know we would all go berserk and talk about nothing else for months on end. Really, this is nothing for us all to get pissed about, yes we all want more FFF, but this isn't necessarily going to prevent that from happening. I say good for Copenhagen or whichever lucky city this ends up happening in.
    doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  29. They were here, about 6 (?) years ago. Just a few beers, too (Alpha King, Robert the Bruce, and one or two more) but they couldn't consistently keep up with demand, and then pulled out not too much later. Overall it was a big letdown on a number of levels, and I'm at the point where I could do without them unless they really pick up their game.
  30. I'd say it was longer ago than that - more than a decade ago (based on where I lived/shopped at the time- I moved winter of 2001-2). I'm not so sure that local demand was that great, I recall some of their beers (particularly Robert the Bruce- granted, not a particularly popular beer style) sitting on the shelves long after they pulled out of NJ. Besides the the ones you mention, I think Pride & Joy ("This ain't no 'mild'...") and (maybe?) Gumball Head might have been here as well.

My impression was that they were ahead of their time in NJ. Forget who distributed them here- Hunterdon?
  31. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

It mentioned Chicago specific beers in the article. I'm only assuming that if they were to open that brewpub and one Europe they would be run as separate entities a la the Goose Island Clybourn and Wrigleyville brewpubs. Barely any drain on current GI production.
  32. I just went to the videotape (well...actually my old reviews) and I do have a review for Robert the Bruce from early 2006. So it's in that range- unless they were here for 4-5 years? It seemed like it was only about a year at the time.

Like you said, though, Robert the Bruce was definitely the most common find. I got Alpha King about a half-dozen times, and the slot on the shelf was usually empty. Never even saw Gumball Head, and definitely would've picked it up in a second if I had. Things could've been different in different parts of the state, but I definitely remember them being hit or miss, and mostly miss.

In the past 5 years or so I have definitely taken a much more interactive approach with the beer guys at the stores; back then I just relied on what I saw on the shelves. These days I definitely have a good sense of what is in backorder (hello, Founders/Hunterdon) and what simply doesn't sell. Maybe back then the stores were happy to sell what they had in stock and didn't re-order, I couldn't say, but I'm guessing that they would've been really happy to get Alpha King regularly, at least. They were more expensive than their competition, so that may have also been a contributing factor in the inconsistency (i.e. Hunterdon not placing regular orders?).
  33. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Opening a pub in Europe has nothing to do with distributing bottles in the US. Did you even read the article you posted?
  34. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It indirectly does since we are talking about resources and company focus. Any effort towards this brewpub takes effort away from expanding distribution in the states.
  35. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

... and to think at one point in time they had sent their beer to RI. :confused:
    mschofield and ShogoKawada like this.
  36. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

It doesn't say that the bar in Europe will be a brewpub. Just a "pub".
  37. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Does Cantillon have extremely small distribution in Europe? If not, then it's probably not a fair comparison, regardless of whether this is a good idea or not.
  38. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, rub it in, Jason :)
  39. it's not like we can buy it all over the place here as well.
    Any specialty bottle shop will have Kriek or Classic Geuze but it's hard to find Cuvee St Gilloise, Fou Foune and the likes in Holland, and it's sometimes quite the hassle even in Belgium.

Point is, I think people seem to get pretty worked up about it. Might just want to chill out and have a (non FFF) beer.
    GennyCreamAle and MarkIntihar like this.
  40. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

That's a fair statement, but much of this thread is direct reaction to not having access to 3F bottles in other states. Would they be better off building a new, larger brewhouse to accomodate our desire for Zombie Dust? Maybe, but they've always done things their way.